Release Notes 2017-8-10 tlopo-rc-v1.4.3

Loving all these updates, doing great work! Just one thing I want to point out, I mentioned it before. Explosive damage needs toned down a bit. Like, a lot a bit. I did the math tonight, after I was sunk by a Battle-Royale. Each explosive in their broadside, did approximately, 1,600 damage. They have 24 broadside cannons. So, do the math and you get 38,400 damage. My Fortune Hunter IV War Brig, has 120% hull strength, clocking in at 14,400 health. That means with ONE broadside, a Battle-Royale can sink me two and a half times over. I appreciate a challenge, but that seems a little unfair. Take a Corsair for example. With the way explosive is now, they deal 22,400 damage PER BROADSIDE. Again, they sink me with one broadside. Back in POTCO, I took pride in the fact that my ship had never sunk, and unfortunately, that is no longer the case, and it's mainly due to these explosive damage levels. I should at least get the chance to take off and run after a broadside like that. I have literally zero chance to survive anything that broadsides explosive. This is my biggest gripe with sailing now, I know you said you fixed it previously, but I don't think it worked. Explosive is still clean sweeping pretty much anything.

Loving all these updates, doing great work! Just one thing I want to point out, I mentioned it before. Explosive damage needs toned down a bit. Like, a lot a bit. I did the math tonight, after I was sunk by a Battle-Royale. Each explosive in their broadside, did approximately, 1,600 damage. They have 24 broadside cannons. So, do the math and you get 38,400 damage. My Fortune Hunter IV War Brig, has 120% hull strength, clocking in at 14,400 health. That means with ONE broadside, a Battle-Royale can sink me two and a half times over. I appreciate a challenge, but that seems a little unfair. Take a Corsair for example. With the way explosive is now, they deal 22,400 damage PER BROADSIDE. Again, they sink me with one broadside. Back in POTCO, I took pride in the fact that my ship had never sunk, and unfortunately, that is no longer the case, and it's mainly due to these explosive damage levels. I should at least get the chance to take off and run after a broadside like that. I have literally zero chance to survive anything that broadsides explosive. This is my biggest gripe with sailing now, I know you said you fixed it previously, but I don't think it worked. Explosive is still clean sweeping pretty much anything.
Do you have 5 skilll points on explodives? If so that's the problem guess they didn't fix the glitch where enemy ships do the same damage your fury, thunderbolt, explosives, etc do.

Imo it's way more fun like this... I don't know whats the fun of being unsinkable and needing no strategy!
the way it is right now requires you to get out of the enemy broadsides instead of tanking them... Either get good and avoid the broadsides or stop complaining the ai ships are very slow now so it's very easy to do

Imo it's way more fun like this... I don't know whats the fun of being unsinkable and needing no strategy!
the way it is right now requires you to get out of the enemy broadsides instead of tanking them... Either get good and avoid the broadsides or stop complaining the ai ships are very slow now so it's very easy to do
I'd like to note. In a "Big" battle with other ships. Stuff can start bugging out with the collision so sometimes you get pushed TOWARDS a broadside. You're perfectly fine in a fight with like.. 5-7+ other ships, but the moment more enemy ships show up and start pushing everyone around, unless you're lucky. There is a chance that you get pushed right inbetween a Broadside going for either your ship, or someone elses. It's especially worse/annoying when you're trying to escape/leave a fight/broadside fire but then get pushed either towards it, or stalled being unable to move.

I totally understand, but there's a difference to me, between s challenge, and just impossible. I wouldn't mind if a broadside pretty much crippled ships, but 34,000 damage? There's nothing that can come close to surviving that. I love a good challenge, I play a few other sailing games, some of which pose serious challenges, but even they are more doable than this. I don't want to be able to tank ships, but I would like a chance to flee after one broadside should I choose

I'd like to note. In a "Big" battle with other ships. Stuff can start bugging out with the collision so sometimes you get pushed TOWARDS a broadside. You're perfectly fine in a fight with like.. 5-7+ other ships, but the moment more enemy ships show up and start pushing everyone around, unless you're lucky. There is a chance that you get pushed right inbetween a Broadside going for either your ship, or someone elses. It's especially worse/annoying when you're trying to escape/leave a fight/broadside fire but then get pushed either towards it, or stalled being unable to move.
+1 to this, Battle-Royale spawned on top of me last night, and instantly opened fire, whilst I was already engaged in combat with 4 other ships. Staying out of the way is often times easier said than done.

So you like buggy ships that brake the laws of physics by been way to fast, reloading broadsides twice as fast i could go on but buggy is not correct no matter what to go by. "Very slow now"? really ??

So you like buggy ships that brake the laws of physics by been way to fast, reloading broadsides twice as fast i could go on but buggy is not correct no matter what to go by. "Very slow now"? really ??
He had fair points. He meant he enjoys the challenges that these ships pose, although I agree that ships are rather buggy, and deal a bit much damage, I understand his argument. I agree with him in some regards to, I would like the game to be challenging, but balanced. Careful how you word things in text replies, because text does a poor job of conveying emotions, and you might come off rash when you don't intend to be :) I like to keep debates on ANY matter on TLOPO friendly and civil. We can politely disagree, but in the end, we're all here to enjoy the game. Hopefully the devs look into the issue, and find a medium, that makes ships a little more balanced, while still presenting a challenge to abyone sailing :)

I used to suggest the best way to make sailing enemies harder would be to boost their HP and their armor and how fast they can turn but thats about it.

Im sure they will come to something they can say they like.

But you all should remember that this is not a "Realistic pirate simulator" this is a "3D Arcade style pirate game" so expecting realism is not very reasonable, but if it is UNFUN then you may have a point, but I wouldn't know.

I used to suggest the best way to make sailing enemies harder would be to boost their HP and their armor and how fast they can turn but thats about it.

But you all should remember that this is not a "Realistic pirate simulator" this is a "3D Arcade style pirate game" so expecting realism is not very reasonable, but if it is UNFUN then you may have a point, but I wouldn't know.
I agree with you 100%. I mentioned that I play other sailing games as well, and one of them is a pretty hardcore sailing sim. I love TLOPO's sailing mechanics, and have no problem with ships being challenging at all, but I just think they're a little off balance at the moment. I like the idea of boosting NPC health, armor and turning speed a bit to make them more difficult too, +1!

well just a mention of my last 8 log ins. well i like potentially fixed,its a effort but since last 2 updates 8 trips to sea 30-40 mins dodging one shot killer corvettes, and player mobs that think they are in bumper cars instead of boats,bad captains are a hazard to navigation more than any hunters ;). watch 4 ships fired at from almost point blank go in directions that make no sense in anyway, and 3 player ships pinned and sunk from full health to 0 in 2 sec by ai that now seem to never miss, and work together to box you in, altho they can sail thru things we cant.. wont even dwell on launching ship and before i even got to wheel being sunk by 3 ships spawned over and on both sides of me just randomly firing when i spawned. but too if only our shots actually went the direction the guns and ship point. ships now spawn in masses as well as next to you from nowhere within seconds of being sunk another takes its place, now IF manage to get full holds and start for port withing 3 to 5 secs of doing so,twice just have game drop me, and 3 times district resets and all three times i sailed to the safe port location well yeah crash on port attempt is so much fun lets go do it 12 more times ;). the newest annoyance tho is you get the port screen and nothing loads after it just sort of hangs up there and after 5 to 15 mins hoping it will finish i have to exit and reload for another try.
dont think that fix for resets worked. i dont even remember what sea loot looks like been so long since i actually made port with cargo. but potentially this will all be addressed. its beta but its also frustrating lol. alot of great additions and upgrades have been added in last months but many remaining fun killing bugs persist. hang to it devs come so far, so much left to do. and we will struggle thru ever hoping to make land with that 7 steel needed for 3 weeks, but just cant seem to make port to claim. on the plus side land has been not 1 issue in the same time frame. hope that random reset thing gets worked out soon.

Was hoping my Pearl quest would appear after this update , Not sure why the 1.4.2. Update stole It from me but I'm done with ALL quests exceptp that one ~ lol

I agree with you 100%. I mentioned that I play other sailing games as well, and one of them is a pretty hardcore sailing sim. I love TLOPO's sailing mechanics, and have no problem with ships being challenging at all, but I just think they're a little off balance at the moment. I like the idea of boosting NPC health, armor and turning speed a bit to make them more difficult too, +1!
HP should not get touched, if anything the fire power should be boosted a bit, i noticed that round shots and firebrand from the enemy do 0 damage, and explosives do 1200 ++ damage. I think the explosive should be reduced by a bit but the round shot and firebrand should get increased to compensate.

This way we would have more time to react and we won't get one shotted, but the damage would stay roughtly the same

Last edited:
I seem to have a problem since this update, i log in the game tries to load up but gets stuck at the first loading screen before character selection, it just continues to say not responding at the top, i've never had a problem with this game till now

HP should not get touched, if anything the fire power should be boosted a bit, i noticed that round shots and firebrand from the enemy do 0 damage, and explosives do 1200 ++ damage. I think the explosive should be reduced by a bit but the round shot and firebrand should get increased to compensate.

This way we would have more time to react and we won't get one shotted, but the damage would stay roughtly the same
I take damage from all rounds, and the explosive is beyond crippling. I wouldn't mind them beefing up round shot/chain shot/firebrand and bringing down the explosive round to a less "one-shot-kill-every-time" situation. Although I take damage from lesser ammo, for the most part it's rather light. Firebrand does a bit of damage, but still nothing to worry about. I like the idea mate. :)

I'd just like to point out that 1600 damage per explosive is actually a pretty low number for explosives. Also, Battle Royale and the like are meant to be incredibly damaging. I've literally never sunk to any of these ships. Actually I haven't sunk at all, when I'm behind the wheel (Totally not using this opportunity to humblebrag, nope, no sir)! I've messed up a few times, and sometimes they do random stuff that shouldn't be possible yeah, Take Cover has saved my life a couple times, but with all these ships the problem isn't how much damage they do. It's other various issues.

All the normal explosive ships (Corsair, Juggernaut and Cerberus) are incredibly easy to take down safely. It's called "keep your distance". If you're a good captain, who has figured out their sailing style, you can get close as long as you don't let them aim their broadsides at you. Battle Royale? Just keep her from aiming her broadsides at you like everything else.

The problems lie in ships spawning on top of you, and ships teleporting around or doing crazy spins when the server lags. When sailing works the way it's supposed to, these ships will be much less of a problem. Well, to skilled sailors. Against everyone else they will be a nightmare because their broadsides are supposed to lock on like ours do!

They were always like this, and that was fun. There's a reason back in POTCO captains would instruct their crews to not even shoot at corsairs. There also weren't quite so many back then - TLOPO needs to tone down the Corsair and Juggernaut spawn rates. (Juggernauts have been insane lately!)

No no no please no more health buffing. The SOTL Warships as they are - they are already too much health! It's terribly boring. Smarter AI, higher speeds and better turning radius are much better ideas.

E: Waiting for these next patch notes with bated breath...

Back