Release Notes 2017-8-2 tlopo-rc-1.4.0

Enemy shooting is probably a bit over fixed. A ground level cannon shouldn't be able to shoot that far.

But it's good that targeting is good. However, now the damage & repair crisis is over stated. There is no way a full blown war galleon sinks that quickly. Mods, PLEASE tell me you are working on fixing how much damage is done on a blown hull? It's working both ways. We used to not be able to disable the Colossus unless we had rank 5 round with steel ram (+3 and rank 3 critical) getting a good dose of critical hits. And if your ship was almost down, you were talking 4 rounds of repairs to get it fixed. Right now, things aren't even close. And us Galleon drivers get the worst of it, because you give us no armor and the opposing galleons fly about at around 70 knots. It's in dire need of fixing.

I disabled a Harbinger at a good pace away. It shot out my entire hull and had me down to 2102 out of 11880 HP left. 9700 damage with three cannon shots from the front! Overly ridiculous.

PS I'm being this descriptive not to complain but to make my case at how much this needs to be amended. The mechanics of sailing are now wonderful. The logistics of damage done, that's what needs work.

Edit: I think it's a fair reminder that sloops and galleons should not be able to shoot broadsides out the front.

Last edited:
I've mastered many a Pirates In Potco and working on 2 nd here ( Cannon and Sailing Mastered ) And there's No way to get 10 Skeleton Ships In a Timely manner with the Colossuss Damage they deal from afar ! lol p.S. ( I Prefer Omens and Harbs due to Sails come down Then Hulls goes bye bye ) Max Rep all around or close as It gets on here . Don't recall the ships taking double and triple the damage as It progressed either !

i have this bug where i cant speak, it only shows up in my guild chat. whenever i try to talk in local or crew chat it just doesn't show up

I think there is work to be done with the damage the enemy ships are doing, a regular storm reaper wrecks the hull of a rank 6 skull&bones in 2 not even full broads. I have done that for the sake of testing, it's the enemy ships damage that needs to be adjusted and the armor bonus calculations.
I have tested both a regular war brig and a rank 6 skull&bones war which is 165% armor and the damage taken is pretty much the same. Not sure about the other hull upgrades.
Also the damage numbers on both ground and sea combat are not accurate.
Just my 50 cents...
I think these are all known bugs, just listed them for feedback.
Great Update, Keep up The Great Work! Thank You!
:pirates:

Last edited:
My lvl 6 Copperhead war sloop still getting busted up too easily, after update. I was so excited about the fix for cannon glitch/reflect damage thing, I put my points back in cannon skills. The damage was not so noticeable in hunter fights as i stay out to fringes(and also explosive broads don't work unless you are so close to ship you are rubbing its belly), but went to test near Ravens where one ferret and two bulwarks decimated my hull with a few shots.... well... thats just not right. Like it has no armor upgrades at all....The shame was worse than the day i finished upgrade and jumped into svs and got one shotted by a storm chaser as I mentioned in another thread. I guess my most boss boat gonna be dry docked a while. Hail to the light sloop!!

Otherwise,,,,Keep up the good work , Loved not crashing porting last night...so many jumped on server(over 200!!) we did break it, but the update helped lessen regular crashing. The game gets better and better because you devs aren't giving up, and as long as you don't raise the white flag, we won't either!!:parrot:

Just got done testing the sailing, got a full cargo hold and fought plenty of warships around Tormenta and Outcast.

• Enemy AI Cannon damage definitely feels too high. I know you aren't supposed to eat barrages of Cannon fire, but at the same time they feel too strong vs ship armor and hull health at the moment.
  • All the ships I engaged seemed to still do the 'shotgun blast' method instead of their broadsides locking onto my ship. However, I did notice ship deck gunners firing more accurate barrages of cannon fire (3 moderately accurate firebrands instead of just 1 poor shot.) When the AI cannon damage gets fixed this will probably be much cooler.
  • Take Cover didn't seem to function properly, as I took similar amounts of damage with it active as without.
This makes me sad (along with the previous speed and aggression buff the ship AI got) since I loved POTCO sailing, it was the main reason I played, yet it seems like it just keeps getting harder and harder (when I feel that's what the Bounty Hunters and Warships are there for in my opinion.)

Just got done testing the sailing, got a full cargo hold and fought plenty of warships around Tormenta and Outcast.

• Enemy AI Cannon damage definitely feels too high. I know you aren't supposed to eat barrages of Cannon fire, but at the same time they feel too strong vs ship armor and hull health at the moment.
  • All the ships I engaged seemed to still do the 'shotgun blast' method instead of their broadsides locking onto my ship. However, I did notice ship deck gunners firing more accurate barrages of cannon fire (3 moderately accurate firebrands instead of just 1 poor shot.) When the AI cannon damage gets fixed this will probably be much cooler.
  • Take Cover didn't seem to function properly, as I took similar amounts of damage with it active as without.
This makes me sad (along with the previous speed and aggression buff the ship AI got) since I loved POTCO sailing, it was the main reason I played, yet it seems like it just keeps getting harder and harder (when I feel that's what the Bounty Hunters and Warships are there for in my opinion.)
Complete agree with you, after playing for several hours, sailing is almost way to much work for the reward sometimes ecspecially if you can't get a big enough crew to help you out

Here is the thing... THIS IS HOW IT WAS IN THE REAL GAME!!!
Honestly? I was dissaponited i could tank a warship in my light sloop. It made no sense and it was stupid!
and i never remembered the enemy ships being weak in the real game, they were always this strong. Either get better or i don't know.

Honestly? I was dissaponited i could tank a warship in my light sloop. It made no sense and it was stupid!
and i never remembered the enemy ships being weak in the real game, they were always this strong. Either get better or i don't know.
I don't mean to sound rude, but this is not how it was in the original game. I like to consider myself a pretty good captain, and people who have sailed with me, will attest to that, but it wasn't like this in POTCO. Back then, ships weren't mushy, and easy to sink, but they weren't mobile fortresses either. There are reports of Bulwarks and Ferrets destroying the armor on reinforced war class ships! That's how it was in POTCO??? No. I understand the desire for a challenge, but this is not how it was in the game, far from it. They hit much, much, much harder, and are really badly unbalanced. A challenge is fine, but this is way off. Not trying to put the update down, at all. This update has me thrilled. But I'm just pointing out, that this isn't how it was in the original game, coming from someone who plays this game, mainly for the sailing now, and back then.

Enemy ships in POTCO had lock on broadsides like our ships do now. Your light sloop wasn't as safe in POTCO because the AI could lock on with more than just deck guns.

But the AI in POTCO also weren't this fast nor did they do as much damage as they did now. They actually are 'tougher' than in POTCO, the light sloop invincibility is more of a bug in AI broadside aiming than a feature. If AI broadsides could lock on, coupled with the really high per shot damage and increased speed, the difficulty would likely be much more apparent.

Warships and Hunters definitely have the right amounts of damage, I'm not sure about navy ferrets and other ships.

Just a question with the new ram cap, does the game dump unused memeory correctly now?
I have yet to play the update (hoping to sit down tonight and try it) but one of my friends has messaged me saying that it did correctly dump memory (with sound on) and hovered around 700MB, but that's just one case, may not be the same for everyone.

Skelton Ships Move at a Normal pace when Fired upon , The Galleons have Sloop speed or Better , Frigates are a tad faster then Shpuld be also . Sloops are the Slowest ones next to Skeleton ships ! ( Normal )

Amazing : The Sloops now have Front cannons also ! LOL :( ARRrrrr !!!

Last edited:
Okay, so, I want to start by showing high praise for this update. I CAN PLAY AGAIN! With sound on, and settings maxed I didn't run out of resources. In fact, it was dumping memory properly, and I hovered around 650-750MB! Now, with every update, and list of bug fixes, comes new bugs to squash, so they've been mentioned before, but I'll share my 2 cents.
  • NPC ships are hitting WAY harder than before. While aboard a reinforced War Frigate last night, we took one broadside from a Navy Kingfisher, and it knocked the ships health down by almost half, and took all of our right hull armor out.
  • The new firing patterns are... uh, not right lol. All the ships are now firing from completely incorrect areas. Sterns, bows, heck, I saw a Behemoth fire from it's mast last night lol.
  • The NPC range is outrageous, like, they can fire from astoundingly far distances. That coupled with the crazy locations they're firing from, makes a recipe for disaster, because they can hit me, before I hit them.
  • Movement on NPC ships is all wonky. They're faster than they were pre-1.4.0, and can now outmaneuver almost any ship. Makes engaging in combat awful difficult.
Aside from that, you all are making huge strides. I'm beyond happy to be able to enjoy this game again, as I've been running out of memory before loading into the game prior to this update. Keep up the great work guys!

Broadside from a Behemoth did 1076 points of damage per cannonball to the front left of my cargo II upgraded war frigate at full armor, which is almost double what Corsairs did pre-patch to my medium galleon w/out upgrades. Using my two-point take cover skill only reduced the damage to 796 each, when the math should work out 269 points each considering subsequent damage was taken on the right front that was still at full armor.

Okay so from my time sailing last night, I've noticed sailing is a little odd.

First of all, I don't think ships are hitting as hard as everyone thinks they are. They're just hitting more often. Thing is, TLOPO lags, and you're probably not seeing them hit you when in fact they are (eg you only see 10% of their shots hit you, when really 30% are).

More importantly, however, is they've become strangely unpredictable. Enemy broadsides still don't lock on, but the enemies will randomly stop chasing you and instead sail straight ahead, or even turn in the other direction. This is most notable with hunters, as they'll suddenly decide they should ram you instead of pursue you. Because of this it's become harder to avoid their seemingly random attacks.

Another issue is our broadsides have become even worse at locking on. I had to turn my ship much more aggressively than usual to try to get my broadsides to lock on to hunters tailing me, and this put my ship at risk of their attacks. Even so they almost never locked on. In the case of War Sloops most of my shots went right over them - and my ship (War Frigate) doesn't even have high sitting broadsides!

Now the other thing is all enemy ships (at least the higher level ones) appear to have gained a magic center cannon that can fire at all angles. Most of the higher level ordinary ships will shoot firebrand at you in sets of three, but some of them (to include hunters/warships) will fire single thunderbolt or explosives at you with these magic center cannons. I do have a vague memory of this being in POTCO, but I also seem to recall they took it out because it was dumb. That might just be wishful thinking (wishful memories?) though. Point is, it's dumb. It never hits you unless you stop moving, and since we can't sail at half mast (or any other speed for that matter) this basically forces us to always be going full speed. That's no fun.

Also it's worth noting I haven't been hit by an explosive since the update. I hear explosives hit way harder than before, I cannot verify or refute that yet.

First of all, I don't think ships are hitting as hard as everyone thinks they are. They're just hitting more often.
I think they are hitting harder. @dajeeps mentioned the numbers, and on top of that, single cannons firing from ships are dealing significant amounts of damage, like round shot, I'm not even talking any other rounds yet lol I agree that they're also maybe hitting more often, but I don't think there's a question, they're hitting harder. And yes, explosive rounds seem to be hitting a lot harder than they did prior to the update.

Back