Release Notes 2019-10-30: tlopo-rc-v1.22.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crew

TLOPO Staff
2019-10-30: tlopo-rc-v1.22.0

Announcements

• Welcome to our Storms in Hollowed Woods update! Lots of new stuff has arrived. We really hope you enjoy what we have to offer!
  • Please be aware that we are currently working on a massive overhaul of the Lookout matchmaking system behind the scenes. As a result, some functionality with the current Lookout system may be wonky.
    • We've done our best to make sure that it does not affect PvP, Treasure Maps, and the like, but please bear with us if you encounter any issues.
    • The Underground Parlor Games instance and Find a Crew have been temporarily disabled due to serious bugs that arose with this overhaul.
    • We promise that the new Lobbies system is well worth the wait! We can't wait to share more with you in the coming weeks.
Features

• Now Live: Hollowed Woods - New and Improved!
    • Your favorite seasonal spooky hideaway has been given a makeover! New props, rocks, and more! (Mostly rocks, let's be real...)
  • New Quest: Storms in Hollowed Woods!
    • Help Myrna the gypsy keep an infernal evil from escaping once more. Learn more about The Watcher and the origins of Hollowed Woods!
    • Players level 40 and up that have completed "Haunting in Hollowed Woods" are eligible to pick up the quest from Richard Silveredge next to the Port Royal jail.
    • Earn a new outfit (and a bonus hat) while completing the quest!
  • New Legendary Weapon!
    • Shrouded in mystery, this weapon could be a vital piece in the puzzle that is Hollowed Woods.
    • Includes an all-new skill. Strike down your enemies, but pay the price...
    • Players must have completed "Storms in Hollowed Woods" in order to loot this powerful new weapon.
  • New Famed Grenade: Breath of Hollowed Woods
    • The EITC, Navy, and Jolly Roger have all been sticking their noses where they don't belong. Each faction has stolen a bit of Hollowed Woods' flame for their own and encapsulated it into an orb.
    • Players can loot this new grenade anywhere in the Caribbean while the Hollowed Woods event is active.
    • All-New Skill: Hollowed Flame - Need we say more?
  • New Location: Hollowed Woods Town Hall
    • Once the gathering place for all of the woods' citizens, the Town Hall now serves as a cursed prison for a captain most vile...
    • What secrets does this building hold?
  • New Anniversary Rewards Outfit: Candy Corn Jester
    • Purchase it from Jonathan Fairbanks in the Hollowed Woods Decrepit Shop.
  • New Combat Music in Hollowed Woods
    • Our composer has whipped up quite the thrilling tune for Hollowed Woods! An all-new track will play when you enter combat within the accursed jungle.
  • New Enemy Type: Jumbee Voodoo Master, found in the Hollowed Woods Town Hall.
Bugfixes

• Fixed a beautiful bug where Mayhem PvP would load you onto Black Pearl Island.
  • Fixed a bug where a quest giver would not offer a quest if it had a prerequisite of completing another quest first.
    • I know that sounds confusing.
    • Here's the skinny: Finished "Haunting in Hollowed Woods"? Great! You're over level 40? Fantastic! Oh, you want to try the new quest? NO! Richard Silveredge is having NONE of your sass. He's been through enough.
    • Can you tell that us devs have been up all night finishing this content? This bug is one of the top reasons why!
    • TLOPO Insomniacs - "It's just yes."
  • Fixed a bug where Jumbee bosses would not wear the clothes you assigned to them.
    • This still does not fix the bug where the Queen Anne's Revenge boss, LaSchafe, has randomized DNA every time. But not like that matters right now, since the QAR is currently disabled.
    • And don't worry! We haven't forgotten about that. QAR is near and dear to our hearts. We just want to make sure it doesn't break your boat every time you try to board it!
  • Fixed a bug where some fence icons on the Hollowed Woods minimap appeared to be giant and blocky.
  • Fixed a bug where the bonfire flame from the Thanksgiving & Mardi Gras events would turn on during the Hollowed Woods event, making it seem like there's a massive fireball on Tortuga beach.
    • If you wanted to get extra crispy with yer mates, you've unfortunately missed your opportunity. I for one like to wave at those when they pass by.
  • Fixed a bug where you'd crash when entering into Hollowed Woods because your quest journal was tracking for Jumbees when it shouldn't have been, also causing it to look like Jumbees were needed for your quest on the minimap.
    • Whew, that was a mouthful.
  • Fixed a crash with player profile cards.
  • Fixed a district reset when dying in Mayhem PvP.
  • Fixed an old Disney bug where Jumbees were sometimes called "Voodoo Zombies" depending on context.
  • Fixed some issues with the chat filter. And no, we're not going into detail. We're a family-friendly pirate clan!
  • Okay! Third time's the charm... we think? That awful, DISGUSTING black screen bug in PvP might be fixed. Please provide feedback, PvPers!
  • Lady pirates will now properly be switched into a corset when trying on tattoos in the Anniversary Rewards & PvP Infamy Rewards tattoo shops - just like in regular tattoo shops.
Tweaks & Enhancements

• Overhauled a Disney mechanic that locked and unlocked building doors in relation to quests. (Think of the Undead Poker Shack)
    • This will give us greater functionality and freedom when developing future quests.
  • By player request, you are now able to enter the Undead Poker Shack in Rat's Nest whenever you like - once you've completed the proper portion of the Raven's Cove Story Quest.
  • Overhauled quite a bit of code regarding Jumbees.
    • Previously, Disney's setup for them was quite unfinished, and did not allow for complex organizations like stationary bosses, specific spawns, and a variety of other things.
  • Redid Hollowed Woods' sound effects.
    • No more birds or jungle noises. This place is cursed!
    • Replaced with new, more eerie, yet still subtle sound effects.
    • Water rushing is now no longer as loud.
    • Turned down constant and random occasional sound effects as to not overshadow the music.
  • Overhauled Hollowed Woods' environment effects.
    • No more daytime effects! This is supposed to be a spooky place!
    • Increased fog just a bit.
    • Changed sky from green to dark dark blue, like Raven's Cove at night, to better suit the atmosphere.
  • Added a fair amount of boulders and rocks across Hollowed Woods.
    • This is primarily for lore reasons. We wanted to make the area better reflect the miner's town vision we had way back in 2017.
    • And it doesn't hurt that it makes the area stand out a little bit from the other jungles with the same layout.
    • Plus, this adds new story possibilities down the line... wink wink.
  • Dry Rot now has his own personal little grotto in Hollowed Woods.
    • Why does a giant evil tree monster live in a cave where he can't get sunlight?
    • Because he's cursed, yeah... that's it. Totally not because I didn't think this through until after I spent 12 hours making the area.
  • Cleaned up a variety of props in Hollowed Woods.
    • Removed a bunch of extraneous props to help reduce lag.
    • Fixed a bunch of fences that were placed improperly.
    • Fences will no longer clip into each other, or float above ground.
    • I know you ALWAYS find it so illuminating when I write about which fences I've tweaked. It's such an IMPORTANT change isn't it?
    • I'm glad you agree.
  • By player request, you may now wear your full equipped outfit in PvP.
    • Previously, women were forced into a corset, and men were forced to go shirtless. A little bit much for an E10+ game, ey?
    • Also, you were forced to wear specific zombie pants and shorts. How fashionable.
    • You can still loot these items outside of PvP (see our other note in this section).
    • In summary: Hats, shirts, vests, coats, pants, boots. All of it. They'll show up in PvP. Flaunt your brights.
  • Adjusted several quest props.
    • Enemies, skeletons (the dead kind, for once), and hay bales may have been moved from their original spots, but not a single one has been deleted.
  • Added the new quest rewards from "Storms in Hollowed Woods" to the Quest Rewards vendors.
    • Of course, you won't be able to purchase them until you've completed the proper corresponding quest tasks.
  • Renamed the Zombie Trousers (male) and Zombie Shorts (female) to "Rotted Trousers" and "Rotted Shorts" respectively.
    • This was to help differentiate them from the "Zombie Pirate's ____" naming convention from the Garb of the Undead Peddler outfit.
    • Also gave these items new custom descriptions. Because why not? It only takes a second.
    • In case you were curious, you can loot these items from any skeleton in-game.
    • Ladies, you can also now get a Rotted Corset to go with your shorts, by completing the Storms in Hollowed Woods quest.
  • Overhauled the Hollowed Woods minimap.
    • Event Rewards vendor icons now show up, telling you where to shop.
    • Updated a bunch of areas on the map to accommodate for the new boulders and rocks and... stuff?
  • Streamlined the code for picking up a quest.
    • Know what this means? Less lag! Ironically, you probably won't notice because there are a ton of other things causing more lag for quests, but we don't want to point any fingers at who caused this.
    • I wanted to be more direct in my roast, but this will have to do for now. Hint: TLOPO didn't do it.
    • Regardless of who's to blame, it'll get fixed one way or another! We're on the job!
  • Updated some staff commands to help our team test the new quest and location.
  • Code cleanup, the usual little stuff we don't talk about. But I figured I'd go in-depth for some of it this time. Sleep deprivation makes me oddly more precise.
  • Replaced the old, ugly, blocky Hollowed Woods water with a nice crisp HD water. Fresh out of the oven just like mom used to make.
    • And I get to call the old water ugly because I made it. Don't you judge.
    • And yes, I made sure NOT to replace the water on the Staff of Water (this sentence bothers me), even though it shared the same texture.
  • Sized down Goodprice Tattoos in Hollowed Woods. You know, that big tree building?
    • This building is intended for regular-sized people, not 30 ft. tall giants. Not that we have anything against giants...
  • Added some invisible barriers on the cliff behind Goodprice Tattoos (where The Watcher's Hovel is).
    • Previously, players would fall halfway down the cliff and get stuck between a rock and a hard plac... giant tree that's been hollowed out (pun) into a building because why not?
    • We thought the idea was cool. You think it looks silly? But... but, it's been here for 2 years now! And we worked so hard on it!
  • More whitelist and blacklist updates.
    • You can no longer say Hollowed Woods' name incorrectly. Because I'm a control freak.
    • How to trigger Mr. Dev 101: Say Hallowed Woods.
    • It's HOLLOWED Woods. With an O! You don't think that makes sense? TOO BAD!
    • Disney named the area! We found code remnant with this name. Blame them!
    • It will now auto-correct you to say it correctly. Because why not? :)
    • Also, all of you psychopaths saying Forsaken SHADOWS can kiss that goodbye as well.
    • Love you. li>
  • Known Issues
    • For quest tasks that require you to search for a specific barrel, crate, or object, it won't matter which item you attempt to search. As long as it's in the same area (i.e. jungle or mainland), it'll count for your quest.
    • If you are level 40+ and JUST completed "Haunting in Hollowed Woods," the icon above Richard Silveredge's head to pick up the next quest will not appear.
      • You can still talk to him, and he will give you the quest. It just won't be super apparent that you need to speak to him since the icon is gone.
      • Walking far away to another part of the island and then back should make the icon appear.
    • The green interact circle on the Hollowed Woods Town Hall door is a bit wonky. You may not see it clearly.
      • But if we're being honest, it's not that big of a deal. All the other doors in Hollowed Woods have their own issues anyway.
    • Jumbee Voodoo Masters in the Hollowed Woods Town Hall won't attack you unless you provoke them.
      • This is a symptom of a larger issue with our enemy aggression system. We will look into this at a later date.
    • The new boss in the Hollowed Woods Town Hall may glitch out of the walls if you run for the door while engaged in combat.
      • This is the same bug that plagues The Watcher. The plus side is, you should actually be able to glitch out of the walls in some places and kill the cheeky boy yourself this time. Or, if you're lazy, just shoot him with a musket or something.
      • This is also a symptom of a larger issue with enemy pathing in relation to building interiors. We're on the job, don't you worry!
    • The new skill, Hollowed Flame, doesn't apply damage over time.
      • Once again, symptom of a larger issue. All grenade skills don't apply damage over time. We're working on that.
    • Certain grenade effects don't play when an enemy uses a grenade to attack.
    • Damage is applied to your health before the enemy throws a grenade instead of after.
Developer Notes

• I'm just gonna get out in front of the crowd and clarify: The new quest does NOT reward you with the new legendary.
    • Although I think the clothes are quite legendary myself. Shout-out to our lovely texture artist. Great job!
    • You earn the new legendary the same way you earn Cursed Blades. Finishing the new quest just unlocks the ability to loot it.
    • The new famed grenade has no restrictions. Loot to your heart's content.
  • We've been reading a lot about the darkness level in The Watcher's Hovel on the forums, and understand the frustration. Here's our stance, and a bit of an explanation:
    • We won't be making the location brighter. We feel that the darkness brings an eerie uniqueness to the area. Plus, it makes The Watcher, who is just a pair of eyes, stick out a bit more.
    • That being said, there IS a bug with the building's environment. Much like with caves, The Watcher's Hovel turns SUPER dark pitch black (like my soul) during and after invasions. We will be looking into this as soon as possible.
  • Another thing I wanted to address is holiday quest repeatability in relation to quest resale vendors and the new legendary weapon.
    • After Hollowed Woods ends (or any other holiday for that matter, like Valentine's Day), the quests corresponding to that holiday are wiped from your quest history.
    • But wait, Mr. Dev! I didn't know I had a quest history!
    • You don't! And you do. It's not something you can see, but the game stores a list of all the quests you've ever completed.
    • The list is used to check a variety of things, like if you can loot Cursed Blades, access certain locations, or buy back certain quest rewards from vendors.
    • Why is this relevant and why am I rambling on about it? I'm glad you asked!
    • You see, when Hollowed Woods ends this year, this system will make you lose access to the Town Hall and the ability to loot the new legendary. You'll have to repeat the quest next year to get access again.
    • You'll also have to repeat the quest again next year if you want to be able to buy back the new clothes (or any other item like the Valentine's Grenade). The items won't be removed from your inventory though.
    • What's important to note about holiday quest rewards is that you lose access to buy them back the moment the holiday ends. So if you trashed an item, make sure to get it back before the holiday window ends.
    • We know this is kinda annoying. We've brainstormed ways to get around this, and might implement some in the future so you can repurchase holiday quest rewards year-round. But as of right now, it's a bit complex to set up, and we have other bugs and features that take priority.
    • Well, that was certainly a long explanation. If you've read this far down into the notes, I'm shocked, flattered, and impressed. Good job. Here's a redeem code: goodreads
  • And, in conclusion, just wanted to say thanks. It's been a ride making this content for you all.
    • I'd be lying if I said we spent a long time working on this. The whole idea for this update was conceived when it was already October.
    • But, I can promise that we were meticulous and strived for perfection. That's not to say one of you (or all of you, to be honest) will uncover a bug (or 20). But we tried real hard, and will fix them as fast as we can.
    • We have a lot of projects being developed at once. This, the Capture the Chest expansion, and a few other things (both announced and unannounced).
    • So yeah, thanks for sticking with us on this journey. Game development can be hard, and bugs often slip through. But we're doing our best, and will continue to do so.
    • Happy Halloween, Happy Anniversary, and enjoy the game!

View this release on the TLOPO website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back