A Blade In the Dark Part 1

William Goldhawk

Wanted Pirate
*Told on a different captain's perspective*
It was a little after midnight and my crew and I just got done raiding a merchant vessel. After we stole their cargo and put it back on the Frigate we sailed back to port. The crew started to settle down doing their normal things: drinking rum, playing, cards or sleeping. I handed the wheel over to my first mate for a while until I got back from my quarters.

In my quarters I poured out some of my fine rums into a glass and looked into detail on my maps on which port to go to for a fair deal on the cargo we stole. Keep in mind that my frigate was one of those fancy ones we stole from the British a couple years ago, we know that like a little fanciness. In one of the corners by the bookshelves I heard some rustling and just assumed that it was just the wind through one of the open windows. The rustling grew louder and I started to feel like I was not alone.

I did not go return to my crew this time because I thought I could defend myself in times of need. I finished my glass of rum and poured another one. I continued looking at my maps and found the port to go to to sell the cargo. We will go to Padres Del Fuego. I heard the door crack open and make that little squeaking noise that everyone hates. I did not look back because I thought I had a little too much rum. As I stood up finishing my glass of rum I heard soft footsteps behind me, but before I could turn around a dagger pierced me through my back. It was a rusty blade that looked like it was a fine blade in its day.

I gave out a loud yell. A few of the crew and my first mate game in with swords and pistols drawn and found me on the ground. The crew fought of the people who tried to kill me, but to our surprise they weren't people. They were skeletons. There were three of them in there for who knows how long.

"There's a ship out there," I said, "Get to your battle positions we are firing on them,"

Somehow my wounds were not severe, but I had to turn everything over to my first mate from time to time. I took a big gulp of the fine rum to ease a little of the pain so I would be able to captain everything. I got up to the wheel and started to bark the orders to the crew.

*Part two coming soon*

Back