A Bullet for His Majesty

pixelbunny

Swashbuckler
G'day to you all!

So, I'm working on a fantasy story (going for a novel/novella). Brief synopsis: it's about a girl growing up in an isolated pagan colony, inland.. not sure what I will name the "world" yet, but it shall be fictional, of course! Anyhoo, a greedy insane Baron is conquering all the surrounding civilizations to make them part of his ridiculously large empire, and one night he sends some soldiers into the girl's village. They ransack the place, pretty much kill everyone, but fortunately she is able to escape... only to be kidnapped for ransom by pirates! Luckily one of the pirates happens to be someone from her colony, who had been presumed killed on a scouting mission to find resources in the outlands years ago. He convinces the other pirates in the tribe to allow the girl to live among them as a fellow pirate, and they train her in all manner of fighting and assassination techniques... so that one day, she can find and kill the Baron for slaughtering her friends and family.

This poem is something I wrote that I intend to use in the story. The character recites this to the Baron as a warning. I hope you enjoy!

"See a sea"
I sing to thee
"A writhing sheet
of Evergreen
With riches deep
beneath; unseen --
See, I sing to thee.

"From the land
a band of men
abandon sand,
sail, guns in hand.
Sea, I see on thee.

"O'er lands
and parts unknown
march they, further
from their home
some but boys,
though many grown.
See them nearer, thee.

"Dark of night
doth fast approach;
wicked hour of
owl and ghost;
flame alight,
though see, you don't
see them; see they thee.

"Upon his high
pillar sit he,
dubious of majesty--
hear approach
and thither flee.
See him thither flee!

"Tremble thou
who hadst them bow!
The time is nigh
for reckoning--
for in such haste
thou laid to waste
their homes, their lands
and families.

"Blood cov'red hands
art all thou hast
to keep and show
in history.
But mine art true
and soon shall you
know such pain
and misery.

"Of all these things
I sing to thee,
keep thee this
most vital thing:
though death be brief,
and silent grief;
and all life ruled by
destiny--
I sing a song
of fate contained.
A bullet, for
His Majesty."​

That is a very good poem, it puts me in mind of Beowulf, although thankfully a heck of a lot shorter. You need a week and a day to get through Beowulf, and a goodly amount of rum. Looking forward to reading the story, if you plan to post it here.

That is a very good poem, it puts me in mind of Beowulf, although thankfully a heck of a lot shorter. You need a week and a day to get through Beowulf, and a goodly amount of rum. Looking forward to reading the story, if you plan to post it here.

Thank ye kindly! I like to keep em short and sweet, though an epic buildup does lead to an epic finish :D I haven't read Beowulf since high school, I remember it being longer than the movie. Many a moon did pass before finishing it...

Back