A Jolly Week with More Merry Gifts (08/31/13)

I posted this on the other potco forum site and i'll post it here too. Last night I was playing with an old friend who told me something interesting... He has some friends that are founders in the game and they told him that disney is actually already working on a new and improved version of POTCO which is why they are shutting down this old outdated version. But the new version won't be ready until a year or so from now (closer to when the next POTC movie is coming out). Now, I only believe about 10% of this story myself but wouldn't it be fantastic if in fact they really were going to re-release a new and improved potco? I'd play it! :) If I find out anything more (like where these founders heard this news, and why would they be told something like that and not everyone else?). I would think they would include this news of a new version being created when they told us they are closing down the current POTCO to take the sting out of the news a little. Sort of like "hey, we are closing POTCO but for a really good reason because we need the programmers to focus their time on the NEW and IMPROVED POTCO so stay patient and sign up for future beta testing, blah, blah, blah. Now that would have made us all happy knowing at least we would get another potco out of all this..... Which is why I sort of doubt this "rumor". But if anyone else hears this same rumor please elaborate because this would be amazing news.

I believe you, closing for a year would be the ideal way to not only fix bugs, glitches, connection problems etc, they must start again from the beginning. According to you, you are referring to the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2015).

Time will show us what they are planning...:boat:

Well it would thrill me to no end to know that a "new" Pirates was due to be released. I would withhold my judgment on the improved part though until I played. There are so many positives in the current platform that I would want to see included that I fear it would merely be a different POTCO and not improved. Perhaps this is why they did not include this as part of the shutdown news. So many of us would rush to offer up comments to help be sure it was improved. Sad to think they would be avoiding feedback but that is my feeling at this moment. I am in marketing and we always hear that we need to "listen" to our customers and yet Disney has seemed to do anything but that. I do hope though that a new game fills the void. I love the pirate genre of the game and Disney certainly had advantages to their pirate "brand". I admit to liking the graphics that some have criticized and I had to think into why that was. I believe that when I played, I could often visualize the parts of the game in the context of my real life trips to the ride and to the many scenes in the movie. Those pixels of characters were all linked back to a real image we could each recall from the movie. The bigger loss I think that a year long break that is not communicated is that we, their player community, will drift to other venues never to return. I certainly do hope (although I refuse to hold onto this hope) that some day I will open my email to find an invitation to return to a Pirates game. And would it not be wonderful if our current name was reserved already for that purpose...

I posted this on the other potco forum site and i'll post it here too. Last night I was playing with an old friend who told me something interesting... He has some friends that are founders in the game and they told him that disney is actually already working on a new and improved version of POTCO which is why they are shutting down this old outdated version. But the new version won't be ready until a year or so from now (closer to when the next POTC movie is coming out).
I have my own opinions about such rumors but for now..."no comment," lol.

I am taking the whole "New POTCO" concept with more than a little skepticism. It would be awesome if they were remaking the Caribbean into a far better one, but I highly doubt it, mainly because they could have done so before this. Another reason is that POTCO isn't the only Disney online game closing. I believe they are going an entirely different route..one that does not include the Caribbean for us.

However, to get back on topic, let's just enjoy the farewell gifts they are giving us and enjoy this game while we still can.

Back