1. Hey, Guest! Tune into the 9th Developer Stream this Saturday, April 29, at 8PM EDT! Read more...

A little disappointed

Discussion in 'Appeals' started by Ryan R, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ryan R

Ryan R Sea Legs

I'm a little disappointed--wait no; I'm extremely disappointed. I was suspended for saying something like "darn you all are lucky" responding to 2 of my friends when I learned they both got BETA keys. I took pictures of it(excuse the 2 random black spots on my screen that appeared a few weeks ago). I was in the middle of my play time with over an hour to go and the worst part is that they didn't kick me off of the server right away. I was kicked off on our way back to port with a ton of loot =/ I'm not sure about you guys but that is average talk where I'm from. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The word "darn" is listed in both the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries.

Oxford definitions:

darn-
    [EXCLAMATION]:
    Expressing anger or frustration:

‘darn! I completely forgot!’

[Adjective]
    [attributive] Used for emphasis, especially to express anger or frustration:

‘turn that darn thing off!’

[as submodifier] ‘don't be so darn silly!’

Cambridge dictionary-

darn-
    [exclamation]
    also darn it, dammit, /ˈdæm·ət, -ɪt/ (1.) an expression of anger orannoyance:

darn! I spilled coffee on my blouse.

(2.) used to express surprise:

darn, I guess they decided to buy that house.

[adjective/adverb]
    very; great:

You’re a darn fool to try and drive that old car cross-country.

Attached Files:

2. Ryan R

Ryan R Sea Legs

I guess you can't say it on the forums either so the word on here has been changed to "darn".

3. Calico

Calico Honorable Pirate

I do hope all is well here, perhaps a misunderstanding, or out of context thing. Just a bit of advice, I'm sure you already know, ...as long as you admire my favorite letter of the English alphabet...( R ) ...stands for respect...as long as you respect others...and speek with respect..and just act respectfull...well, all will be well...it's worked for me all these years...

Respectfully,

Calico

"R"
    what about "dang" ?...not a bad word in my opinion, expressing discontent, as in..."dang" I just got kicked for saying "darn",,,lol...my bad

Cal

4. PirateJasonS

News Reporter

Just because it's listed in the dictionary doesn't mean the word is ok to use. I can think of far worse that are also in the dictionary. The game is maintaining the E10+ rating that POTCO had, and with that comes the child-friendly language filters. There are plenty of alternatives, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to tone it back a little bit for the sake of the game.
    Some people take things more seriously than others sometimes too, so it's better to just be on the safe side of things when it comes to language.

I mean no disrespect in any of what I've said above, and a majority of it is just my opinion. I hope you understand :)

Dreadful likes this.
  5. Christopher Cannonskull

Site Founder

I dont think the issue here is the definition by any stretch. we can all agree that as far as blacklisted words go that one is on the better end of the spectrum. However its the connotation of that word in todays era and how it is used very often as a spiteful term for others more than to express a mild emotion that it isnt something that should be using in a game geared towards children. Just because this game is being recreated by the devs doesnt mean this should change either. The last thing we want to do is make one of disneys big money makers even slightly vulgar and risk getting a takedown

PirateJasonS likes this.
  6. Calico

Calico Honorable Pirate

agree..but really? is this considered offensive in any way?

IanH and Yulia like this.
  7. Yulia

Yulia Wanted Pirate

In this situation in which he was unsure and that his warning thing or punishment was delayed or lagged (if im reading it right) shouldn't he be given a second chance?

Calico likes this.
  8. Dreadful

Dreadful Wanted Pirate

That word is a curse word. It may be tamer than some other curse words, but it's still a curse word.

Stephen Teague likes this.
  9. IanH

IanH Pirate Apprentice

In a game with alcohol and gambling, you should be allowed to say darn.

Gorgie likes this.
  10. Christopher Cannonskull

Site Founder

For a game with an e10 rating, i would say yes. personally i would say no

11. Christopher Cannonskull

Site Founder

except the alcohol is never labled besides "rum" and the player is never able to drink it along side you are encouraged to cheat at cards is most likely why this is not the case

12. Calico

Calico Honorable Pirate

I second this motion...lol...Yulia. youre so "darn" nice...we're lucky to have such a great pirate like you around.

13. IanH

IanH Pirate Apprentice

So your view is that the way it's presented in the game makes it more family friendly? I guess I can agree with that.

14. PirateJasonS

News Reporter

Btw the pictures are very hard to read, especially the first one. Just a tip that you can press F9 while in-game and it will take a screen shot and save it to your TLOPO folder.

15. Christopher Cannonskull

Site Founder

basically since its all unlabeled and just implied as alcohol and the cheating in the games. its best not to stray to far away from Disneys original vision for what is and isnt okay for the game

16. Yulia

Yulia Wanted Pirate

is the threat of a takedown due to lesser vulgar words such as the other variation of "darn" and the other variation of stinks etc not even actual cuss cuss words even that apparent? I mean most of us who played POTCO originally were around teenagers at the time or slightly younger but now most of us are +17 and up

I dont want this to be different from original POTCO as far as the words we allow so thats not what im getting at but we really need to have Open Chat like original POTCO
    =p

Calico likes this.
  17. Christopher Cannonskull

Site Founder

I would say so. The stigma around lesser variations of those curse words are almost non-existent due to them being "childish". There were adults who played POTCO as well but due to the target audience disney was going for they had to abide by the same rules so relative age of the audience doesnt matter so much as the targeted age

18. Kate Goldwalker

Kate Goldwalker Fairy Tail Girl

All swear/cussing words I believe are in the dictionaries. However, that does not make them age appropriate for everyone. That is the key with chat in TLOPO and making posts on this forums. TLOPO and PF are both keeping all chat/posts age appropriate. That is why you received a ban on TLOPO and why the word filter caught the word here and changed it to 'darn'.

What you should do is send in a support ticket to TLOPO. I will tag the TLOPO support staff here so that they can assist you on how to send in a support ticket to TLOPO.

@MMDR @Cheysa Finn

19. Cheysa Finn

Wiki Staff

If you wish to appeal your ban or find out more information about it, please send an email to support@piratesonline.co and include your username.

20. Stormtimbers

Stormtimbers Pirate Lord

I read through the whole post thinking he got banned for actually saying darn