Discussion A thought

Read the clue. Decide yes/no if you want to read_more

• Yes, continue :)

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • No thanks :)

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Thanks for sharing and also, for elaborating. :) I do appreciate your explanation.

As far as sabotage goes, could it happen discreetly to where the game would still run between Aug. & Sept. (of 2013) but still imbed a change or no?
The possibility of such an implementation is simply illogical.

Even in the off-chance the Disney developers did leave some kind of malicious code in the game's client - a backdoor or some sort of logic bomb, perhaps - it would have no effect since the client gets decompiled and all its code can be viewed. Anything malicious would have been readily spotted - and I highly doubt anyone at Disney had an agenda or even any foresight that the game would be remade to the state we know it today.

The possibility of such an implementation is simply illogical.

Even in the off-chance the Disney developers did leave some kind of malicious code in the game's client - a backdoor or some sort of logic bomb, perhaps - it would have no effect since the client gets decompiled and all its code can be viewed. Anything malicious would have been readily spotted - and I highly doubt anyone at Disney had an agenda or even any foresight that the game would be remade to the state we know it today.
Thanks for your time, John. I guess...this is another one of those instances where I was wrong/off-base. Still, I feel it's imperative to review all angles given a remake like TLOPO has so much at stake.

What brought me down this path of thinking was a thread I wrote a long time ago which I felt had justified why soooo many things/bugs need fixed. Part of it was gut instinct, part of it was distrust (towards Disney), and part of it too was knowing full well that Disney actually facilitates a culture of coding to which not too many people remember nor know about. (They actually encourage 'coding ' get-together and events sponsored by the Company). When one considers all of these things...it's easy to see maybe why this pirate does not really sleep so well at night counting just RUM bottles, lol.

*Thanks for the enlightenment. ;)

Thanks for your time, John. I guess...this is another one of those instances where I was wrong/off-base. Still, I feel it's imperative to review all angles given a remake like TLOPO has so much at stake.

What brought me down this path of thinking was a thread I wrote a long time ago which I felt had justified why soooo many things/bugs need fixed. Part of it was gut instinct, part of it was distrust (towards Disney), and part of it too was knowing full well that Disney actually facilitates a culture of coding to which not too many people remember nor know about. (They actually encourage 'coding ' get-together and events sponsored by the Company). When one considers all of these things...it's easy to see maybe why this pirate does not really sleep so well at night counting just RUM bottles, lol.

*Thanks for the enlightenment. ;)

Did you not think it odd to give 'gifts' AFTER announcing they are closing the game for good? In a couple of weeks, what good are the gifts then? Were you supposed to feel better because you got stuff you weren't ever able to get all the past times of playing?
It's like selling your house and then your uncle gives you his big hot tub you coveted for the last 6 years he promised he was going to give you. What's the point really?

Think you’re looking for something that isn’t there. POTCO closed, they added those little releases as “gifts” for the loyal players sticking around, doubt they’d “sabotage” anything considering that action of good faith. I don’t blame them for closing, their job is to make money and POTCO wasn’t doing it for them, truly doubt there’s much to it besides that.
I think that you really hit the nail on the head when you said "their job is to make money". There is no known evidence of sabotage or any other malevolent actions by Disney that I've seen. Such things cost money and are not profitable which means that if they exist they would not be part of corporate policy and would only be the actions of an employee that was acting on their own, not likely.

Each of your post offers no value-added to the topic of discussion at hand. While you both might agree the same principle can be said of this thread, why not just let your opinion reflect to the poll itself in contrast to this thread?
Did you not think it odd to give 'gifts' AFTER announcing they are closing the game for good? In a couple of weeks, what good are the gifts then? Were you supposed to feel better because you got stuff you weren't ever able to get all the past times of playing?
It's like selling your house and then your uncle gives you his big hot tub you coveted for the last 6 years he promised he was going to give you. What's the point really?
I do agree with you. While they were trying explicitly to lessen the pain, ironically from each of those (maintenance) threads I had listed the majority of forums members whom had commented felt the effort was a bit out of place and simply too late - towards lessening the pain.
Fruitless argument
Not sure what argument you are referring to? This thread's purpose was for understanding to be sought and if you (and others) are going to hold it against me to publicly learn...I would say to that that you comment just the same then to other threads/posts that seek out to gain clarity and understanding as well. ;)
I think that you really hit the nail on the head when you said "their job is to make money". There is no known evidence of sabotage or any other malevolent actions by Disney that I've seen. Such things cost money and are not profitable which means that if they exist they would not be part of corporate policy and would only be the actions of an employee that was acting on their own, not likely.
You have to understand too, Eric, that there are many, many ways money is sought after and gained in business. Not everything is black and white (nor cut and dry nor ethical).

If Disney became just a 10 year old girl trying to sell lemonade on the corner of a street with both sign and stand, her over eager parent might also try to step in and bake a batch of choco. chip cookies to offer for sale/for free as well...simply to "entice" increased (customer) traffic and/or sales. *In my opinion, the same theory could apply to Disney in lieu of POTCO's closure. Here's why (if execs or decision-makers in Disney were talking amongst themselves to each other):
  • "We could let them code the game themselves but only to a certain point. Then, when they get frustrated along with their followers...we'll have the POTC aspect of Disney Infinity (at the time) or POTC version games on mobile to convert them over completely to deepen our pockets/advance our revenue, all because they trust our brand and image!"

It is very common for games to release random stuff upon closing. Not sure how you could see another purpose for them releasing random weapons, potions, features, etc.

Each of your post offers no value-added to the topic of discussion at hand. While you both might agree the same principle can be said of this thread, why not just let your opinion reflect to the poll itself in contrast to this thread?

I do agree with you. While they were trying explicitly to lessen the pain, ironically from each of those (maintenance) threads I had listed the majority of forums members whom had commented felt the effort was a bit out of place and simply too late - towards lessening the pain.

Not sure what argument you are referring to? This thread's purpose was for understanding to be sought and if you (and others) are going to hold it against me to publicly learn...I would say to that that you comment just the same then to other threads/posts that seek out to gain clarity and understanding as well. ;)

You have to understand too, Eric, that there are many, many ways money is sought after and gained in business. Not everything is black and white (nor cut and dry nor ethical).

If Disney became just a 10 year old girl trying to sell lemonade on the corner of a street with both sign and stand, her over eager parent might also try to step in and bake a batch of choco. chip cookies to offer for sale/for free as well...simply to "entice" increased (customer) traffic and/or sales. *In my opinion, the same theory could apply to Disney in lieu of POTCO's closure. Here's why (if execs or decision-makers in Disney were talking amongst themselves to each other):
  • "We could let them code the game themselves but only to a certain point. Then, when they get frustrated along with their followers...we'll have the POTC aspect of Disney Infinity (at the time) or POTC version games on mobile to convert them over completely to deepen our pockets/advance our revenue, all because they trust our brand and image!"
rofl, No Shamus, Disney is not a 10 year old girl and they would not sabotage the code so that our beloved developer's could progress to a certain degree and then founder. I do agree with you that they pretty certainly thought the fan base would migrate to their other new products and that shutting potco was at least in part a push to increase the popularity of their newer products. And, No, no one trusts their brand or image beyond the obvious that they have a reliable business model that has made them predictable in the products they produce; their market is family entertainment and they are good at it. You are making it out to be an alien conspiracy type plot but such plots in the business world can't last long without turning a profit, Disney has not come out with their end-game for such a plot even 6 years later. There is no plot, Disney management does not have patience for a 10 year plot to make a million dollars, it would not be cost effective.

rofl, No Shamus, Disney is not a 10 year old girl and they would not sabotage the code so that our beloved developer's could progress to a certain degree and then founder. I do agree with you that they pretty certainly thought the fan base would migrate to their other new products and that shutting potco was at least in part a push to increase the popularity of their newer products. And, No, no one trusts their brand or image beyond the obvious that they have a reliable business model that has made them predictable in the products they produce; their market is family entertainment and they are good at it. You are making it out to be an alien conspiracy type plot but such plots in the business world can't last long without turning a profit, Disney has not come out with their end-game for such a plot even 6 years later. There is no plot, Disney management does not have patience for a 10 year plot to make a million dollars, it would not be cost effective.
Well my friend...I never said it was a enduring, 10 year plot. I am implying it could have been what had happened long ago. I have done enough research on Disney to know that the Mouse cycles through more execs, managers, and decision makers faster than the doors of a western (cowboy) salon can swing still.

Since the OP and subsequent posts made to this thread, I have learned that my theory likely does not hold water. So therefore mate, there is less need now for you and others to try to disprove the theory given we all kinda learned something.

*There is no harm to explore all possible scenarios of what is happening. Once we fail to do so...we might as well just give up (and treat this BETA version as if it were 'Live').

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my friend...I never said it was a enduring, 10 year plot. I am implying it could have been what had happened, long ago, because I have done enough research on Disney to know that they cycle through more execs, managers, and decision makers faster than the doors of a (western/cowboy) salon can swing still.

Since the OP and subsequent threads made to this thread, I have learned that my theory likely does not hold water. So therefore mate, there is lesser need now for you and others to try to disprove the theory given we all kinda learned something.

*There is no harm to explore all possible scenarios of what is happening. Once we do...we might as well just give up (and treat this BETA version as if it is 'Live').
It's an interesting subject, worthy of discussion. I never looked at your original post as any kind of conspiracy suggestion at all.
I would still say that it was too many chefs in the decision process who were not hands on with the potco project and made monetary only decisions and as you say, were looking at maximum profit in the least expensive way. I also think some decisions were made BEFORE the full realization or results of how much potco was supported by the player base and still went ahead with older plans.

I have seen this directly with corporations where someone in prominence set a business plan and no one was willing to go against said executive, for personal and politiacal job reasons. (Political here means to play favors to keep your job and not rock the boat. This is a large part of the corporate structure yet today and women know this quite well as they are still treated as second citizens in many corps.)

It's an interesting subject, worthy of discussion. I never looked at your original post as any kind of conspiracy suggestion at all.
I would still say that it was too many chefs in the decision process who were not hands on with the potco project and made monetary only decisions and as you say, were looking at maximum profit in the least expensive way. I also think some decisions were made BEFORE the full realization or results of how much potco was supported by the player base and still went ahead with older plans.

I have seen this directly with corporations where someone in prominence set a business plan and no one was willing to go against said executive, for personal and politiacal job reasons. (Political here means to play favors to keep your job and not rock the boat. This is a large part of the corporate structure yet today and women know this quite well as they are still treated as second citizens in many corps.)
I agree. ;)

Plain and simple, POTCO and other virtual-world MMO games Disney had at the time were killed for 3 reasons (and I challenge 'anyone' to debunk this otherwise):
  1. Disney Infinity
  2. Mobile games
  3. Club Penguin

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. ;)

Plain and simple, POTCO and other virtual-world MMO games Disney had at the time were killed for 3 reasons (and I challenge 'anyone' to debunk this otherwise):
  1. Disney Infinity
  2. Mobile games
  3. Club Penguin

There is nothing to truly debunk here, as it was stated in interviews to my knowledge that Mobile Games and Club Penguin were to become the main focus of Disney Interactive, as opposed to their MMORPGs that were created as part of an original platform of interconnected virtual universes.

While I can't say for sure in regards to Disney Infinity, there was most likely motive including this game and extending their games beyond just PC Gaming in regards to large titles, or AAA.

And to iterate on another point you've brought up here, while I can't give a word for word reprise of what was said about the topic in Disney's terms, I am decently sure that the present codes given to users upon closing were last ditch efforts by Disney to bring players back to the game while everyone was given Unlimited Access. However successful it was, we will never know, but that's what I could imagine.

*(I will be the first to say that I wasn't sure where your OP was going to lead this thread, but I'm quite pleased to find a so far civil and interesting read.)*

I agree. ;)

1. Disney Infinity
  2. Mobile games
  3. Club Penguin
Thinking about businesses in general, one of the main rules to success is the return customer. If disney were trying to keep the fan base of potco active for their sort of unknown division and enterprise venture, wouldn't it have made more business sense to give potco gifts toward their new game or venture? Instead of old swords, why not coupons with discounts to the new games? Discounts on a year sub? Codes for items of the new game only to potco subscribers? Did anyone get their money back from subs?

Most games and sub services charge a month in advance.

Did disney really dump on all potco subs? If true, then they were certainly not too concerned about that player base.

Back