A Message to New Players

Squidgallows

Honorable Pirate
Please stop inviting me to go on Mat runs with your low leveled, light brig. A light brig and a normal brig are different from a War Brig. You need a war ship first. Here is my advise:

Sailing Level 1-5: Generally, you can find good ships around Port Royal. These ships will help you get to level 5 and purchase a regular ship.

Sailing Level 5-15: Isla Tormenta has a lot of good ships that you can fight. the grind is going to be long and frustrating. I get it, I've been there too. But you need to do it before you go on Mat runs.

Once you are Sailing Level 15, you can purchase a War ship. If you have trouble getting the money, play Blackjack on Padres Del Fuego and use cheat cards. Another way to gain money fast is to level up your fishing skill.

So, to all the players who want to go on mat runs but are too low level, please wait till you have a war ship. If you want materials, hit me up in the private messages and I'll help you get some. Seriously, I'll take you on my War ship and you can steer it. That way you get sailing xp, and you can take on bigger ships.

Thanks again,
Squidgallows

New Pirates,
Ignore that advice.
Do this instead;
From the very get go, as soon as you get your light sloop, seek out mat parties and take potshots at everything!
Once you hit level 5 sailing, buy a sloop, seek out mat parties, and take potshots at everything!
Once you hit level 15 sailing, buy a war brig (or warship of your choosing), seek out mat parties, and take potshots at everything!
And remember, always take potshots at everything when sailing, especially everybody's hunters!
Savor it!

I was rocking non-cluster mat runs from the moment I got a regular brig. Due to my personal notoriety level my broadsides had massive damage reduction (see the link in my sig to learn about that stuff), but my high level cannoneers could still do full damage. Player level and ship don't denote your skill level. I was a proficient captain in POTCO, and TLOPO was, if anything, much easier.

If they're actually new, as in never played POTCO, or just didn't sail much, then sure; your advice is reasonable.

If you're new. Use this advice or do what I did. Hear this tale and perhaps learn a thing!

I never did much sailing in potco since I was always stuck in using a light ship unfortunately. When I got to play TLOPO. It has radically changed. When I am online, I usually sail and go to a hunter party.

I think I got to level 15 fairly quickly since I was allowed to sail other people's ships for reputation. That was a lot of fun too. Then I got myself a war galleon and did countless runs until I got fortune hunter tier 6.

Now I'm getting myself a war brig fortune hunter tier 6. I got all the mats for it but not the gold unfortunately. Which is a lot. :p

So yeah. This concludes the little story about my sailing stuffs.

You know sometimes I can beat a many warships and hunters even with my light sloop maxed ^_^ so just let people learn and have their own experience
Key Words here: Light Sloop Maxed, Sometimes...

I respect that, and I mean no disrespect, but the light sloop is not made for mat runs; nor is the regular sloop.

You can make a mat run you know with her, depends where u sail, which crew you got and lucky :D
A "mat run" on a Light Sloop is three six hunters though. Then your cargo is full.
And you can't even do non-cluster mat runs - light ships don't get hunters chasing them.

Last edited:
Key Words here: Light Sloop Maxed, Sometimes...

I respect that, and I mean no disrespect, but the light sloop is not made for mat runs; nor is the regular sloop.
I'm sure you're incorrect, as any ship is capable of doing a mat run.

A "mat run" on a Light Sloop is three hunters though. Then your cargo is full.
And you can't even do non-cluster mat runs - light ships don't get hunters chasing them.
Actually, the cargo max is 6 for a light sloop and 10 for a sloop. And you don't need hunters chasing you to do a mat run.
The game glitches all the time and regardless of what ship you're sailing, you have to hunt the hunters.
All in all, mathematically speaking, the sloop and light sloop are the best suited for mat runs and they take little to no damage, fit reasonable cargo for their size when compared to other ships, and really require no upgrades to sail and do mat runs, and are capable of being extremely fast.
Maybe they're not "manly" enough for those who like boasting a lot about their sailing prowess, but they get the job done, quickly and efficiently.
A smart pirate will figure out how they want to play on their own to have fun in the game.
Here's a nice mat run with a sloop.
Judging from the cargo hold, it looks pretty capable of doing mat runs, and running circles around big ole bulky copperhead frigates, brigs and the likes.
screenshot_2017-10-13_23-25-27.jpg

After I took this shot, the port changed to the cove, where you can see what was hauled in by the sloop.
I'd say it looks very good for a 12 minute run.
screenshot_2017-10-13_23-28-49.jpg

Try doing that in 12 minutes in a warship!
Savor it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the cargo max is 6 for a light sloop and 10 for a sloop. And you don't need hunters chasing you to do a mat run.
The game glitches all the time and regardless of what ship you're sailing, you have to hunt the hunters.
All in all, mathematically speaking, the sloop and light sloop are the best suited for mat runs and they take little to no damage, fit reasonable cargo for their size when compared to other ships, and really require no upgrades to sail and do mat runs, and are capable of being extremely fast.
Maybe they're not "manly" enough for those who like boasting a lot about their sailing prowess, but they get the job done, quickly and efficiently.
A smart pirate will figure out how they want to play on their own to have fun in the game.
Here's a nice mat run with a sloop.
Judging from the cargo hold, it looks pretty capable of doing mat runs, and running circles around big ole bulky copperhead frigates, brigs and the likes.View attachment 93945
After I took this shot, the port changed to the cove, where you can see what was hauled in by the sloop.
I'd say it looks very good for a 12 minute run.View attachment 93946
Try doing that in 12 minutes in a warship!
Savor it!

I never get lucky in getting a large gold haul no matter what ship I sail.

Always between 3k to 4K :(

I never get lucky in getting a large gold haul no matter what ship I sail.

Always between 3k to 4K :(
Well, that's not the point of my post, which is merely to demonstrate that sloops and light sloops (and other small craft) are perfectly suitable for mat runs, regardless of the "advice" posted by several players above to the contrary.
However, if you read my post explaining to ignore that advice and follow the advice I offered above, you too can make hauls like the one shown!

Well, that's not the point of my post, which is merely to demonstrate that sloops and light sloops (and other small craft) are perfectly suitable for mat runs, regardless of the "advice" posted by several players above to the contrary.
However, if you read my post explaining to ignore that advice and follow the advice I offered above, you too can make hauls like the one shown!

I already have a fortune hunter war sloop to take pot shots with :D

you can't tell me what to do!!

i will always set sail in my Brig for mat runs so it can be a THUNDER BRIG!! BOOM POW ZAP!!

Let a man get his sailing levels up. Plus, the amount of mats you have going into buying a war class ship when you sneak broadsides into mat runs is excellent, not to mention I've gotten lots of good famed and brights doing it as well.

Back