Question a new Pixie Hollow?

McRat

Sea Legs
(edit, please look at my most recent post to this thread because I found a potential reboot and linked their info) hey fam, Disney's original Pirates online and Pixie Hollow were two of my favorite games as a kid and since finding TLOPO last year (which I've since played for an obscene amount of time, seriously I'll never be able to fully express how grateful I am for the new creators starting it back up, exactly the way it was, and not only that but continuing to go above and beyond improving it <3 thank you TLOPO crew so much) I feel like I can't be the only Disney kid who loved both the games, and I didn't know about TLOPO til way after the fact, so I'm curious if anybody out there is in the know of any talk of restarting Pixie Hollow? I feel like it's probably a long shot that one will ever be remade by anyone, but I still check out the latest news every year or so. it makes me all the more thankful for TLOPO :D

Last edited:
I know Miz @DebiBug is also a Pixie Hollow resident expert. I recall her talking about a reboot of the game a while ago, but I've no clue if it's something that is still active.

This link explains a lot, including why Disney tried (and failed) to make Penguins a bigger deal than POTC -- they actually lost money on it.

A brief look around, and there is a "remake" of it called Fairyabc, I can't speak on the legitimacy of it or if its safe or not so do proceed with caution and maybe do more research than myself. It appears to only have a character creator and basic rooms? I never played the game so I'm not really sure of what the original had. It is somewhat odd to me, as it seems it was a flash-based game so it should have been fairly easy to rip most of the game from when it was back online, (thats how so many club penguin remakes exist). So I guess no one that played it had the technical know-how at the time.

This link explains a lot, including why Disney tried (and failed) to make Penguins a bigger deal than POTC -- they actually lost money on it.
A brief look around, and there is a "remake" of it called Fairyabc, I can't speak on the legitimacy of it or if its safe or not so do proceed with caution and maybe do more research than myself. It appears to only have a character creator and basic rooms? I never played the game so I'm not really sure of what the original had. It is somewhat odd to me, as it seems it was a flash-based game so it should have been fairly easy to rip most of the game from when it was back online, (thats how so many club penguin remakes exist). So I guess no one that played it had the technical know-how at the time.

- I had no idea about a lot of that stuff! including that it came out in 2007, never knew it had been around that long. :O but yeah that sucks, it's kind of sad that ultimately Disney didn't keep them around just because they weren't the cash cows they anticipated them to be. funny enough I know ToonTown and Club Penguin were the popular games everyone still talks about but it turned out they were sort of the downfalls. also I never understood the appeal of those two. thanks for the link, it's a cool insight :)

- and yeah! I found Fairyabc last year same time as TLOPO and it's definitely not that legit, I was kind of hoping it was just an extremely new beta version but I don't think it's legit enough to go any further. and yeah, that's something I was thinking too, idk anything about creating games or anything like that at all but I would think a flash based game would be way easier than remaking a MMORPG so I guess the reasons there's not really even an attempt at a reboot is either no knowledge from people who played it or no demand or demographic anymore. which is so lame cause I feel like the whole "fairies" aspect makes it seem targeted towards little girls but it was actually pretty cool, there were tons of quests, games in every land, all the summer/fall/etc lands were so cute, lots of customization, so much stuff to do and they kept adding on so many new features all the time like the woods, the triple story houses, pets, new games, etc.

thanks for the replies, I kinda doubt it'll ever be rebooted, at least no time in the near future. so that makes TLOPO that much better to have around again :D

Hi McRat, there is a Pixie Hollow remake but it for lack of a better word a mess! Very little to do but fly the meadows & pick a few ingredients in Version 1, version 2 is actually completely unplayable at this time & they have been running for several years, wish they were half as good as our TLOPO team!!

update, I found TLOPO on reddit and literally by chance saw a post about a Pixie Hollow reboot. the reboot isn't up yet but they're active and looking for staff. here are links to their discord and Facebook in case anybody is interested!

I hope Disney now realizes it is pointless to close down games of theirs which contain still a loyal following and fan-base. It's a huge "face palm" moment for them (and I hope too a scar to which the scab itself itches/still festers).

They should have listened to us prior to the shuttering of their game!

I hope Disney now realizes it is pointless to close down games of theirs which contain still a loyal following and fan-base. It's a huge "face palm" moment for them (and I hope too a scar to which the scab itself itches/still festers).

They should have listened to us prior to the shuttering of their game!
Well it's not like they're going to keep a game running when there's not enough money being made. I feel like disney only ever cares about money regardless of how their consumers feel.

If you watch the video I posted above, the guy analyzes the finances, notes that Disney kept withdrawing funds from POTC support, which is why updates became fewer and bugs took longer to fix. The part that I didn't know was that some genius exec at Disney paid millions for the Penguin game that someone else had invented and developed, then implemented it on their own server and lost a bundle. The narrator of the video claims that MMORPG have been dying for the past 10 years and that was why all of these efforts eventually lost money.

If you watch the video I posted above, the guy analyzes the finances, notes that Disney kept withdrawing funds from POTC support, which is why updates became fewer and bugs took longer to fix. The part that I didn't know was that some genius exec at Disney paid millions for the Penguin game that someone else had invented and developed, then implemented it on their own server and lost a bundle. The narrator of the video claims that MMORPG have been dying for the past 10 years and that was why all of these efforts eventually lost money.
If mmorpgs are dying then it makes sense as to why disney has moved to making mobile games.

If mmorpgs are dying then it makes sense as to why disney has moved to making mobile games.
There was an MMO(rpg)s explosion around the late 2000s following the growing success of WoW (World of Warcraft) and Runescape. Disney like many others took this as an opportunity to get involved and of course make money. However this led to a severely bloated market of MMOs many with rushed development cycles which means bugs, lacking planned features, and stale gameplay. Generally this left a bad impression towards the entire genre for consumers, and not to mention the competition for players given that MMOs are extremely time consuming to play. You can see this pattern in all Disney's MMOs. Virtual Magic Kingdom, World of Cars Online, Pixie Hollow, Toontown, Pirates of the Caribbean Online, etc. Disney was not only competing with all these other MMOs but also themselves. Its really no wonder that they all failed.

Yes, but I think the big shift to adapt existing computer games to cell phones has happened in the past 5 years.
Depends on the audience, but for a more casual game that appeals to either young kids or older adults, yes. There is still a large audience for console and PC games though among teens to young adults. Also mobile games die quick, so they need a quick development time and acceptance of death 1-2 months or less into release, whereas console and PC games keep people occupied for years, sometimes even decades.

Last edited:
Truth of the matter is:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean Online
  • Pixie Hollow
  • Toontown Online
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the darned
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: Tides of War
  • Disney Infinity
  • Cars Online
  • Playdom
  • Epic Mickey game (1&2)
  • Tron
  • others, etc.
...were each ended because Disney made very pour decisions! Granted, some of the above ^ were sacrificed/canceled for the sake of another listed, this still does not excuse the fact that Disney's own legacy within gaming was driven by PROFIT only (and not commitment to you nor I)...a really "pour" decision. In the end, a lot of talent, time, and energy got wasted not to mention stark disappointment had resulted.

Some of the good decisions Disney did make we can see now through remakes (I still do not agree with 'disregard' towards each copyright) and videos of such games made posted on YouTube. I know this thread is about Pixie Hollow but below is a cool enough game to showcase to emphasize thee point (I am trying to make):

Last edited by a moderator:
Narrated by the ubiquitous Sean Bean?
Thanks for the additional explanation of trends and markets.
I always assumed that termination of the POTC movie sequels was a factor in withdrawing support for the game. No tie-in to revenue.

COOL NEWS, GUYS. http://wethepixies.herokuapp.com/ a demo reboot is up as of yesterday. you can make a fairy and explore one meadow for now, can't save the fairy, but (I think) servers and permanent fairies and more meadows are coming pretty soon. that timing was nuts! anyways, this is really exciting, I hope they get more players with more updates. man, who would've thought almost a decade later I'd be able to play two of my favorite childhood games again. ;')

Back