Discussion A New Simulator in the Caribbean: Pirates Online Simulator!!!

Argh yarr ready for PotC DMTNT

• Total voters
I would discourage this. Disney will not tolerate someone making money from their copyrighted work.
Nobody knows this for sure. This is unknown because nobody will agree to communicate with Disney to understand their opinion about it, among other things. Instead, extra precaution is being made to avoid upsetting Disney in such a way (a precaution I support but not so much to place 100% of my hope in that viable projects like TLOPO will go untouched).
stellar community we've got here, bashing a kid for his hobby. setting a prime example.
@CapnNickSparrow - On YouTube, weren't you the fellow whom had interviewed JDP a very long time ago? If so, that's cool and perhaps if this mate's efforts were good enough for JDP in the past...perhaps the rest of you should come to such a conclusion as well if this effort is both legit and genuine. After all, the whole lesson I am taking away from everyone since POTCO's days is that to code...means all bets are off the table in so far as what the "dreamer" wants.

Wow, you guys in general should give people wanting to make their own remakes a break... I mean really. Every time someone even brings up a new remake or even some type of hobbyist fan work involving POTCO, it immediately gets shot down so harshly... for almost all the WRONG reasons. If someone wishes to learn more about programming, game development, etc, theres no better way than to just jump into it. You learn by doing in programming, and often starting with something that already provides a base and direction for you to start is very beneficial for learning.

Lets be perfectly honest here. This project obviously won't be "competition" for TLOPO. This kid just wants to make something with his newfound knowledge and learn some on the way. He will probably run into tons of roadblocks, He hadn't even considered your questions. He told you his simple plans. He wants to make a remake with his new skills he has learned and learn some more. He tossed around some ideas clearly showing he hasnt considered everything. He even admitted it won't be to the quality of TLOPO. Come on people... This is just pathetic. Stop turning every innocent thread into a battleground.

Last edited:
Well done to you CapnNickSparrow. Go and do what your heart tells you and enjoy your experiences. What a great idea to have a simulator where pirates could hone their skills before delving into the deeps. Go for it :high5:

I'm not meaning to add on all the hate here, however I believe that my stance towards PotCO had always been quite clear - that I was never a fan of the remakes made after it, and yes that includes TLOPO, Pirates Retribution, Pirates of the High Seas, Golden Sea.. whatever they were called, I've lost count. So yet another remake to be announced here.

The problem isn't the salt in this case, nor the discouraging stance of the community. The problem isn't even that they are trying to ''REMAKE'' a game that has been long dead. I'll be frank and quite snippy but I have been honestly utterly tired of hearing the word remake and seeing the word pirate around. The problem is that people need to put a big HALT. Put a big, huge HALT and think to about what you're going to do next. And this goes for this young person here as all the others before him trying or hoping to make remakes.

If you want to dab into coding, programming and graphics then yes, of course do it. Be my guest, this is what @Bart Gunshot said above to, you learn by experience. There's no arguing that. HOWEVER, do so privately. You announced yourself that you just started with all this, you announced your age and the lack of serious knowledge. Even if you can do miracles - which aren't discouraged - just try work on your own privately. Create your own project from zero. Do not just take ideas that tons of others have taken and tossed around. This is no originality and with no originality and your own unique idea about a project, comes no passion. And with no passion, comes nothing new, nothing innovative, no struggle, nor joy.

If you wish to learn, take up as many projects privately as you can. Many different ones that will show your skill and abilities. Don't latch on on this long dead and frankly oldfashioned game. There's so much more to be done and much better opportunities out there for a young fellow like you if you really do wish to get in this sort of fields than taking such a burden on you, because this is what it is based on what you announced, a simple burden.

That is all, sorry for the pessimism everyone :2 cents:

If you are passionate, don't stop. Even if your project fails, it still will be valuable experience for you.

I know C++11/14, but I personally don't want to work with someone who refers to a code base or programming as "codes". Nothing personal. An advice : just spend enough time on your high level architecture, have decent unit tests and you will be fine.

P. S. : Just don't lose your drive and you will be an excellent engineer, starting out early and working hard for years will pay off, I'm sure, just don't let anyone/anything stop you. ;)

To go along with what both Bart and Irene were saying (I hope they don't mind), there is a obvious interest within the community for CODING/programming skill to-be-learned.

I have shared this numerous times publicly here but, why can't a viable project like TLOPO eventually implement coding "work-shops" into the structure of the game to where those whom do have this interest can learn a little more about how to code with python? These learned work-shops could take the form of a TLOPO mini-game much like the various mini-games POTCO had and to which TLOPO is also hoping to include.

Why should TLOPO do this? I feel this should be done because:

1. In-game, coding work-shops provide a EDUCATION aspect into TLOPO's model
  2. Highly enthusiastic pirates like @CapnNickSparrow and others would not be lead to feel compelled to announce another POTCO remake all because of the expressed interest to understand better game programming and code
  3. The EDUCATION aspect of a game emulator/server aligns more so with a clause pointing towards fair-use in comparison to if it didn't implement such a work-shop (so that others could also utilize the experience to 'learn' something new in addition to just playing)
Thus far, nobody has been open to even want to discuss such an idea and that alone...just boggles my own mind. :mad:

For everyone who supports me, thank you. I indeed don't want to "compete" TLoPO. I just want to learn my codes and create my childhood game. I sure can take feedback, but come on guys, you come over like you are Apple and I am Microsoft.!
i may don't have much skills, but want to learn. I really love TLoPo and stuff, I also play it, so what's the problem. and btw I am not such kind of people from 'the project I am not gonna say'. Many tnx for the support and yes I will go catching that dream.
If yarr intresseted, pls visited the YT channel Nick Sparrow Studios some Time, tomorrow will come the annouchment, so cya maybe...
btw the newest video is ****** up cuz YouTube translated into a 360p vid it should be full hd. he is uploading it now.

and for the people who did not like this: I see the TLoPO community as a family, cuz we are all here for the same thing PotCO or PotC, so we want all the same, and if I am wrong why the peep are you guys here than. I don't wont ruin annything, and even if I can make it what would be the big deal, you guys have you so beloved game back and a kid of 15 have done something awesome, so that's just cool.

I can remember the rumors of JDP he was a kid, some people of the internet crashed.
why i the name of Sparrow, would you care you should be proud on him. Or am I wrong?

Yours Truly
The one and only ~CapnNickSparrow

for the ones that ask of I was the kid with the interrview with JDP, yeah that's me
an NOOOO my english is not much better, it is but not much. at least I am trying and not gonna talk dutch that no one understands \
haha

I like this idea especially with a community like this where everyone has some sort of computer skills. Most of us are teenagers or out of school and for us there very few things we can do to learn these things at those stages.
To go along with what both Bart and Irene were saying (I hope they don't mind), there is a obvious interest within the community for CODING/programming skill to-be-learned.

I have shared this numerous times publicly here but, why can't a viable project like TLOPO eventually implement coding "work-shops" into the structure of the game to where those whom do have this interest can learn a little more about how to code with python? These learned work-shops could take the form of a TLOPO mini-game much like the various mini-games POTCO had and to which TLOPO is also hoping to include.

2. Highly enthusiastic pirates like @CapnNickSparrow and others would not be lead to feel compelled to announce another POTCO remake all because of the expressed interest to understand better game programming and code
  3. The EDUCATION aspect of a game emulator/server aligns more so with a clause pointing towards fair-use in comparison to if it didn't implement such a work-shop (so that others could also utilize the experience to 'learn' something new in addition to just playing)
Thus far, nobody has been open to even want to discuss such an idea and that alone...just boggles my own mind. :mad:

If this were a company, I would support this idea 100%. For a volunteer group, I think this would be hard as I'm sure most if not all of their free time is taken up fixing and maintaining the game. When the game is fuctional after this "2013" update or whatever they call it is done, they'll still have new features and bug fixes to have to tend to. Seeing as how they will be occupied with that, I'm not sure how much time they would have left over to teach/have workshops for potentially tens or hundreds of people. This idea is a great one on paper, I will say that, but I think it would be difficult to execute.

Edit: Not to mention they already have given us a game, I don't expect them to do anything more, they've already done PLENTY for us which I am very thankful for :)

Last edited:
Coding is a great skill to have in general, but if you're going to go into game development I would recommend probably starting with either joining a team currently working on something or starting your own thing. The main concern I have with a simulation like what you are working on is that it will be quite difficult to maintain as a one-man team. All the best, though

To add to what Stephen has already said, and to be quite blunt about it, how would programming (a modern age thing) fit into the world of pirates? There is simply no physical way that could ever work, in any universe, ever, even as a mini-game.

Furthermore, not even paid companies do this outside of internships for the most part - which is a whole mess of laws and regulations one must follow. To be teaching thousands of people how to code for free would require saint-like patience and most likely quitting your full-time job to make time for it all, and the laws and regulations one would have to follow for that amount of interns (or students, possibly) would be insane.

If anyone has any interest in learning programming the best thing you can do for yourself is join an already existing team, go to college, watch tutorials, intern, or anything else that gives you real-world experience. Best of luck to anyone who ventures down that path, programming is a wonderful thing and loads of fun - difficult, but worth it :)

I like this idea especially with a community like this where everyone has some sort of computer skills. Most of us are teenagers or out of school and for us there very few things we can do to learn these things at those stages.
In response to those whom don't support this idea, all I can say is "it might as well be done." Such lengths have been done anyway to put the community at risk. Where's the harm in implementing something to alleviate it? (Granted, it's not something to be done 'normally' but rather it's something to be done to assure a remake's longevity). However, it's amazing to me how such ideas are ignored despite the scale being tipped to one side pertinent to the risk in recreating POTCO. This is just an idea to further tip and level the scale's balance to assure the community's survival.

Anyway, I thank @TheSecondCapnNickSparrow for his transparency above ^ along with his intentions towards pursuing his own programming/coding interest. *(Something tells me that you are not the only one). Best of luck, mate.:piratemickey:

In response to those whom don't support this idea, all I can say is "it might as well be done." Such lengths have been done anyway to put the community at risk. Where's the harm in implementing something to alleviate it? (Granted, it's not something to be done 'normally' but rather it's something to be done to assure a remake's longevity). However, it's amazing to me how such ideas are ignored despite the scale being tipped to one side pertinent to the risk in recreating POTCO. This is just an idea to further tip and level the scale's balance to assure the community's survival.

Anyway, I thank @TheSecondCapnNickSparrow for his transparency above ^ along with his intentions towards pursuing his own programming/coding interest. *(Something tells me that you are not the only one). Best of luck, mate.:piratemickey:

As I have said in the post above, it's not "Might as well get done" at all - developers are busy people with lives of their own, and the harm is asking them to potentially drop everything in their life to teach thousands of people how to code. Likewise, it'd be impossible to implement computers and coding and whatnot into a PIRATE game, as a mini-game... or at all.

In no way does not teaching people how to code put the community at risk, not sure what you're talking about here - people are free to learn how to program, there's plenty of resources online to do it. Automate the Boring Stuff is once such resource, and is free. As for longevity... not sure how asking developers to take time off from developing the game to teach people would ensure longevity.

The idea is not ignored, just seen as something not worth doing, and would have no impact on the community's survival if it wasn't done. Not sure how learning to code in python makes a community live or die?

Thank you for your suggestion either way though, we do appreciate it!

Back