A (possibly) unpopular opinion (thread can be locked or deleted now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the word "test" thrown around a lot here and it very frustrating that most of you don't seem to even slightly understand what that actually means. Testing a game is just that, a means by which to help developers 'develop' the game through offering various data from your alpha/beta gaming time. You aren't testing a beta simply to get early game time (or a headstart), you are doing it to help them to work out bugs/exploits. It is absurd that ANYONE would ever expect their TESTING accounts/gameplay progress to carry over to a full release of any product (even a re-release of an older title). Alpha/Beta sessions are most frequently used as brief testing periods for testers to work with developers in terms of basic troubleshooting of various errors and (especially with online games) exploits; the very few games that have deviated from that approach have most often failed.

Beyond this, it seems a bit odd (and inadvertently selfish) to me that anyone would even try to competitively play a pre-release (beta) version of a game with the intent of creating an early account that they get to carry over into the full release of the game. You aren't there for yourself during beta testing, you are there for the developers; and this is coming from someone who has played about a dozen beta sessions and has defended wipes every single time. There is something so incredibly smug about "having your cake and eating it too" when it comes to this issue. You are given the opportunity to simply test the game early and experience what it has to offer before release (and arguably gain valuable game knowledge in doing so), but then you ALSO request/expect that your testing game time be treated as actual (non-testing) release game time through persistent accounts. If you look passed yourself individually, it shouldn't be hard to see why NO ONE would be in favor of this that doesn't have something to personally gain, and rightfully so. Very ironically, I encountered someone who made a complaint about "alpha" testing data being carried over to "beta" testing (because he wasn't apart of the Alpha testing); then 2 months later close to release actually had the nerve to contradict his earlier request and complained that the beta testing data should be allowed to be carried over to the full release. The only thing that changed in his situation were the selfish, entirely self-absorbed concerns about himself that directly influenced how he felt about the individual wipes (both of which thankfully took place). You shouldn't feel like the bugs/exploits that you are there to help fix should also be a means for you to have gotten a competitive edge over full-release players within a multiplayer setting. Many will have already taken advantage of exploits that were present in the unfinished version of the game that often would have given them an extremely unfair advantage (one that far surpasses the basic issue of having started early).

EXAMPLE:

1. 5/23/17 @ 10:33 PM EST:

Servers will be coming down shortly for a quick bug and exploit fix!

Changes include:
    • Fix an internal exception with fishing loot
    • Fix a bug where players will instantly regenerate after groggy is removed
    • Capped SvS bounty in order to prevent players from abusing the bounty swap technique
    • Fix an AI crash where a player would log out when getting caught cheating
    • Fix the skill retrain exploit
    • Fix several other crashes with AI

This update was just posted yesterday, and already demonstrates a VERY recent exploit being abused by current users. That was just ONE day ago. I can't imagine how many others i'd find if I actually did any real research...

But I digress... I'll leave the decisions up to the dev's. All I can conclude with is that games that have failed to wipe after testing periods have nearly always failed to generate a player base shortly after due to these exact concerns mentioned above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back