Discussion A toggle to persue a type of loot

Do you feel like we need more control over our looting, and do you prefer my idea.

• Total voters
Alright... well times to make things extra spicy in todays discussion... it's about a large majority of peoples past time... looting famed or legendary weapons. I feel with so many different kinds of weapons, and such a variety of weapons, it would be a good idea to cut down on some of the random factors with this. What I mean by my suggestion is.... say you set your eyes on the new legendary pistols, you could toggle something to only loot pistols in general.

I realize this is a crazy overblown idea, and im not sure the devs could even sort loot drops to only have one type loot able at one time, but I feel something needs to be done to reduce the obscure areas and crazy RNG in getting a piece of loot you desire. Perhaps the looting system just isn't geared to my liking, but I don't find grinding mobs repetitively over and over and over to get lucky for a item I may or may not desire fun. At one time I would grind endlessly in POTCO for years, but alas, as I mentioned in another thread, I never got lucky enough to have a cursed legendary. Yeah... I had literally a entire inventory of famed in POTCO, but between never getting a legendary other than silver freeze, I just felt burnt out in grinding forever. I felt like after awhile the looting system was unfulfilling and not rewarding.

I just feel we need some slight control or better chance to obtain items than grinding forever, a feel of control over our loot.

Alright... well times to make things extra spicy in todays discussion... it's about a large majority of peoples past time... looting famed or legendary weapons. I feel with so many different kinds of weapons, and such a variety of weapons, it would be a good idea to cut down on some of the random factors with this. What I mean by my suggestion is.... say you set your eyes on the new legendary pistols, you could toggle something to only loot pistols in general.

I realize this is a crazy overblown idea, and im not sure the devs could even sort loot drops to only have one type loot able at one time, but I feel something needs to be done to reduce the obscure areas and crazy RNG in getting a piece of loot you desire. Perhaps the looting system just isn't geared to my liking, but I don't find grinding mobs repetitively over and over and over to get lucky for a item I may or may not desire fun. At one time I would grind endlessly in POTCO for years, but alas, as I mentioned in another thread, I never got lucky enough to have a cursed legendary. Yeah... I had literally a entire inventory of famed in POTCO, but between never getting a legendary other than silver freeze, I just felt burnt out in grinding forever. I felt like after awhile the looting system was unfulfilling and not rewarding.

I just feel we need some slight control or better chance to obtain items than grinding forever, a feel of control over our loot.
I disagree.

I'm not trying to be rude in any way by asking/saying this, but do you understand how looting in videogames works? It's RNG. Meaning you have a set chance of getting whatever it is that you want. However, you can manipulate those odds to your favor by playing the system.
You want to loot just pistols? Start a Pirate and unlock only Sword and Shooting. Level sword to the minimum required to get to unlock shooting. Then, level up only Shooting. That's how you get a specific type of weapon in your loot.

I think people need to just relax and accept that as more and more items are added to the loot pool looting for any one specific item is becoming more difficult. You also should understand that the developers have seen, understood, and made efforts to mitigate this by making new legendary items only available at a certain boss whose loot pool has been reduced in terms of legendary items. People don't have the right to get every item that they want when they want it and should expect that it will be difficult and time consuming to get some of the top items. I feel that the developers have done a good job controlling this. Let the elite looters do their thing and if it's not for you then you will be a casual looter like me. I am currently looting for one thing and have no plans to continue grinding for more items once I get it, which I expect will take about a year.

You could just make a pirate with gun fully mastered and get whichever guns you want. I doubt only being able to loot clothes, guns, playing cards, treasure sets and gold will increase your odds.

I'm not trying to be rude in any way by asking/saying this, but do you understand how looting in videogames works? It's RNG. Meaning you have a set chance of getting whatever it is that you want. However, you can manipulate those odds to your favor by playing the system.
You want to loot just pistols? Start a Pirate and unlock only Sword and Shooting. Level sword to the minimum required to get to unlock shooting. Then, level up only Shooting. That's how you get a specific type of weapon in your loot.
I'll continue your tradition by starting off with a sincere "I'm not trying to be rude" disclaimer, but you sort of helped make Peter's case. I didn't like his narrowing-down-the-loot idea either, but your argument against it... makes it sound better tbh.

Think about it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you're basically saying we shouldn't fix the loot system because we can simply play the system. But if we can do that, as tons of players have since POTCO, why not simply "carry over" the same loot-narrowing effect from your gun-only alt to your main? That way, you wouldn't have to create alts just for the sake of looting, wasting time in the re-leveling process, having to spread your collection across multiple characters, etc.

I don't like how the go-to strategy for trying to "rig the system" is creating alts any more than the idea of checking off items on a toggle screen to narrow down your loot... but as long as the devs allow the creation of alts for better loot and the community here seems to encourage that, Peter's suggestion doesn't sound so crazy. The loot results wouldn't be much different from creating a gun-only alt.

Last edited:
I think people need to just relax and accept that as more and more items are added to the loot pool looting for any one specific item is becoming more difficult. You also should understand that the developers have seen, understood, and made efforts to mitigate this by making new legendary items only available at a certain boss whose loot pool has been reduced in terms of legendary items. People don't have the right to get every item that they want when they want it and should expect that it will be difficult and time consuming to get some of the top items. I feel that the developers have done a good job controlling this. Let the elite looters do their thing and if it's not for you then you will be a casual looter like me. I am currently looting for one thing and have no plans to continue grinding for more items once I get it, which I expect will take about a year.
I agree that the new bosses and Legendaries were a good idea. It felt like a good compromise. The devs did good :thumbsup:

why not simply "carry over" the same loot-narrowing effect from your gun-only alt to your main? That way, you wouldn't have to create alts just for the sake of looting, wasting time in the re-leveling process, having to spread your collection across multiple characters, etc.
Speaking from personal preference/belief in this comment, I don't think we should carry over the same loot-narrowing effect or add a toggle option for loot or anything like that simply because that takes the fun out of the entire RNG process of looting.
I find it highly enjoyable to have to spend sometimes months or years of constant grinding and looting for even the chance of obtaining even one item that I so highly desire. I absolutely love the fact that I have such a low chance of finding a Legendary, much less a specific Legendary.
In one game I played as I was growing up, it literally took me 3 and a half years of grinding, looting, and saving up to be able to obtain one specific item that I so desperately wanted to get my hands on. I spent literal years grinding to collect rares which I would then in turn sell and trade away for even more money and rares, building my collection and inventory constantly, in the hopes of finally being able to have the items and money needed to trade for the single item that I so badly wanted. To me, there's a certain joy and love in spending so much time and putting so much of yourself into something, even a game, to obtain something that you want in a way such as this.

Dean, Mike, Katnypp: If yall wish to share any thoughts or opinions on any of this, please do :)

I find it highly enjoyable to have to spend sometimes months or years of constant grinding and looting for even the chance of obtaining even one item that I so highly desire. I absolutely love the fact that I have such a low chance of finding a Legendary, much less a specific Legendary.
In one game I played as I was growing up, it literally took me 3 and a half years of grinding, looting, and saving up to be able to obtain one specific item that I so desperately wanted to get my hands on. I spent literal years grinding to collect rares which I would then in turn sell and trade away for even more money and rares, building my collection and inventory constantly, in the hopes of finally being able to have the items and money needed to trade for the single item that I so badly wanted. To me, there's a certain joy and love in spending so much time and putting so much of yourself into something, even a game, to obtain something that you want in a way such as this.

Dean, Mike, Katnypp: If yall wish to share any thoughts or opinions on any of this, please do :)
But ask yourself this: if you had spent 3+ years grinding for the one item you wanted but never got it, would you be saying the same thing? Because pirates have grinded for years in POTCO and looted 0 Legendaries, and many more have looted 0 Cursed Legendaries (just because of Silver Freeze).

So if you had grinded for 3+ years, grinded some more and never got that one item you wanted before the game shut down or you didn't have the time to put into it anymore, would the journey have still been as satisfying? And if so, is that deep love for the "grinding experience" something we should expect from all players, casual fans and devout pros alike? Otherwise we are inherently blacklisting most of the community from being able to fully experience what this game has to offer.

Seems unfortunate and unnecessary to me, personally.

Last edited:
if you had spent 3+ years grinding for the one item you wanted but never got it, would you be saying the same thing?
Yes, I undoubtedly would be. Because I am saying it. There are dozens of items that to this day I wish I could've gotten my hands on in that game (it shut down in 2014) but I'm still grateful for the experiences I had in the game and the friendships I made.

And if so, is that deep love for the "grinding experience" something we should expect from all players, casual fans and devout pros alike?
In my opinion, yes. The deep love for the "grinding experience", as you put it, is the deep love for gaming in and of itself. Without a grind, what's the point of looting? You might as well just do a questline with set item rewards like the 3 clothing questlines that were/are in POTCO/TLOPO. Grinding and looting based on rng factors are part of gaming at its core. And I absolutely love it. Why would some people not enjoy it? Think of it like gambling: risk/reward ratio. You put in time and effort for the chance to get something you desire. The more time you put in, the greater the chance you have. That chance is never 100% when looting, but that's the fun of it.

I understand that it's unsatisfying and disheartening to open a loot skull and not see a Legendary inside. But that's how it works. Everyone knows this, and they choose to keep going. To keep looting. To work towards getting another loot skull. We do it over and over again because we love the game. We love the system. The experience; the way it feels to work towards getting the chance of such a reward. And if we don't get that reward? Oh well. We try again. That's the fun in it.

Without a grind, what's the point of looting?
Grinding with a more realistic chance of obtaining what you want in the foreseeable future would theoretically make it more enjoyable and addicting, wouldn't it? Legendaries don't need to take as long to loot as they currently do to retain their status. And some people literally don't have the time to grind for years even when they otherwise would love to as much as you do.
Why would some people not enjoy it? Think of it like gambling: risk/reward ratio. You put in time and effort for the chance to get something you desire.
Well, some players might not enjoy it because that gambling analogy is flawed. When you gamble, you typically have a 50/50 shot of winning. There is a rush and promise of victory involved in betting and investing so much. With grinding, however, as it currently stands, it can easily feel like the odds are against you after months of worthless skulls, more like a million to one.

What you're saying is admirable, though. It goes along the lines of the old adage that winning is not everything, that you don't need to win to have fun. However, with any game like TLOPO or poker, even when you lose or don't get what you want, there is that promise or potential of victory that creates the thrill. So no, you don't need to win to have fun. But you arguably need the chance of winning to have fun in a game, otherwise there is effectively no game. So when certain items are so hard to loot, that chance can feel like it has disappeared.

I'm not arguing to make Legendaries easy to loot. I'm arguing that we should improve the player's general looting odds just enough to pass that sweet threshold where everyone feels like they can get a Legendary.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal preference/belief in this comment, I don't think we should carry over the same loot-narrowing effect or add a toggle option for loot or anything like that simply because that takes the fun out of the entire RNG process of looting.

I would like to see loot fixed so that players loot items not yet unlocked. That is how it was in POTCO at one point, and IMO the way it should be. I remember looting a staff and couldn't wait to unlock the weapon skill to use it. I also feels it is the only way to keep the odds the same for all players, vs players who make alts to only get better swords and guns.

When you gamble, you typically have a 50/50 shot of winning.
In gambling, that's very rare. Fyi

But you arguably need the chance of winning to have fun in a game, otherwise there is effectively no game. So when certain items are so hard to loot, that chance can feel like it has disappeared.
There is the chance of obtaining each and every item available. That's the entire point of an RNG-based system. And when certain items are hard to loot, that's because they're the more rare items. They're supposed to be hard to loot.

I would like to see loot fixed so that players loot items not yet unlocked. That is how it was in POTCO at one point, and IMO the way it should be. I remember looting a staff and couldn't wait to unlock the weapon skill to use it. I also feels it is the only way to keep the odds the same for all players, vs players who make alts to only get better swords and guns.
I agree. I absolutely despise getting duplicate weapons and garb. I wouldn't have a problem with it if a Trading system or Auction House were implemented, but sadly we just have to roll with the punches :/

In gambling, that's very rare. Fyi
Hm? Well, I am no poker expert if that's what you meant but I mean gambling in general. Eerything from flipping a coin to playing blackjack. There is a 50/50 shot at the start of a fair gamble, I should clarify.

There is the chance of obtaining each and every item available. That's the entire point of an RNG-based system. And when certain items are hard to loot, that's because they're the more rare items. They're supposed to be hard to loot.
EDIT: I explained in my previous post it can "feel" like that chance has disappeared, not that it doesn't exist.

I understand the RNG nature of looting pretty well by now and that's why I believe it's going a little overboard. I think you missed my point, unless I didn't explain very well. Months of worthless skulls can diminish the chance of looting anything spectacular in the eyes of the player, ruining your perceived chance. That's what I meant, not how the RNG system works.

If players loot forever and get nothing, they will naturally feel like they will never get anything.

"Oh, just be more patient," the pro looters say. Well, how much patience do you expect from the average player? Years worth?

Odds overwhelming not in our favor --> players get discouraged --> players quit --> community declines --> bad for everyone

I've critiqued the loot system before but I've never argued for ruining the looting experience. But we are overly favoring the die hard fans by continuing the one-in-a-million style loot system from POTCO, because Disney earned money based on the amount of time players invested in looting with month-to-month subscriptions. I'm sure some of the players who quit POTCO and contributed to its shutdown were discouraged players. I just wish for the loot system to be lightened up before beta ends so the game doesn't suffer in the long run.

Last edited:
Hm? Well, I am no poker expert if that's what you meant but I mean gambling in general. Eerything from flipping a coin to playing blackjack. There is a 50/50 shot at the start of a fair gamble, I should clarify.

I understand the RNG nature of looting pretty well by now and that's why I believe it's going a little overboard. I think you missed my point, unless I didn't explain very well. Months of worthless skulls can diminish the chance of looting anything spectacular in the eyes of the player, ruining your perceived chance. That's what I meant, not how the RNG system works.

If players loot forever and get nothing, they will naturally feel like they will never get anything.

"Oh, just be more patient," the pro looters say. Well, how much patience do you expect from the average player? Years worth?

Odds overwhelming not in our favor --> players get discouraged --> players quit --> community declines --> bad for everyone

I've critiqued the loot system before but I've never argued for ruining the looting experience. We are simply favoring the die hard fans by continuing the one-in-a-million style loot system from POTCO, because Disney earned money based on the amount of time players invested in looting with month-to-month subscriptions. I'm sure some of the players who quit POTCO and contributed to its shutdown were discouraged players. I just wish for the loot system to be lightened up before beta ends so the game doesn't suffer in the long run.
I can honestly agree with everything you just said..

Can this work for legendary?

Can this work for legendary?
How do you mean?
If you want only a Legendary gun, then keep Sword at a very low lvl and then max Shooting. Don't unlock any of the other weapon types. You'll only receive guns in your loot.
If you want only a Legendary sword, then max Sword and don't unlock any other weapon type. You'll only be able to loot Swords.

Back