Glitch A very big problem with sailing loot

Something else I noticed about this is whenever its brought up several people say its due to the fact of them being split throughout the crew.. Couple days ago I was on a run with 11 people had 6 skulls when we ported the captain of said ship got 3 and I got 4 skulls we were the only 2 in what remained of the crew (4 people) to get any.. Point being if he got 3 and I got 4 that's 7 we ported with 6 skulls how is that possible???
I think it's because you got only 4 out of the six and he only got 3 out of the six. I'm under the impression that everyone sees the same manifest in container count and such, if the loot is random to each player that is logical too.

Hmm regarding how "messed up" loot is.

If a loot container contains only gold, the gold is auto-awarded without displaying the container itself. This is done to de-clutter the loot panel, and display only containers which contain selectable items.
No, I mean that in the display of gold and loot it will say that you got some number of each type of container and how much gold you got from them. You might get 4 Royal Chests, 2 chests, and 5 crates for example. In the above example there are 11 items and in addition to those items you may get some loot containers: 2 Loot Skulls Chests , 3 Loot Chests, and 4 Loot Pouches. It is very possible that you may get all this stuff from a short run with a 16 slot war brig even though the total number of containers is 20 and your ship only holds 16. I'm pretty certain that this is a manifestation of the same bug we are talking about. You will see this without having to work hard to get skulls, just a quick run where you sink only 20 ships will yield some discrepancies most of the time. Maybe I will just publish the results of my Treasure Sense study so you can see what I'm talking about that way. I was going to do some T-tests on the data before doing that but since it was apparent that Treasure Sense doesn't do much if anything I kinda lost interest, lol.

Last edited:
During the sailing run the loot generator only keeps track of a list of which container *types* will be "kept" (i.e. the ones left after container roll-off due to the prioritization scheme). Then at the end, when you port, it calculates the items each person receives for ALL containers that remain at port time. It's POSSIBLE (just a theory) that the process of computing all the loot at once is causing enough lag or timeouts or whatever, that the loot item distribution cannot finish in time, resulting in all/some loot being dropped by the time the loot panel is displayed.

I tried reproducing this issue at one point, it happened frequently in the busy shard, and either never or very infrequently in the quiet ones (been a while, not sure now). So I'm a little surprised to hear it's a significant problem in the quiet shards as well.

If this is the case, a possible fix would be to calculate all the loot items on-the-fly as each container is rolled into the keeper list. This would distribute the processing load throughout the run, and avoid the big spike at port time. It does have the disadvantage that the effort to compute items for the rolled-off containers is a waste, since those items will be tossed. Although if this really a persistent issue in the quiet shards, not sure if this will fix things or not.
Consider this. You will see in the right hand column that even though I ported with 16 items in the hold on every one of these 40 runs only 3 of them gave me 16 items when I ported.
Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 10.21.56 PM.png

So a while back I tried to test if I ported without having a full ship (i.e. still having a few royal chests to replace) while having a skull chest, and whether or not I will get the loot. Screenshots for result:
screenshot_2019-06-03_19-06-29.jpg
screenshot_2019-06-03_19-07-29.jpg

From this trial it can be seen that in some instances, skull chests won't even appear in loot even if your ship is not completely full of ship material crates and skull chests. I haven't tested this more than once so I can't say that there is a pattern to this, but I just wanted to point out this discrepancy.

So a while back I tried to test if I ported without having a full ship (i.e. still having a few royal chests to replace) while having a skull chest, and whether or not I will get the loot. Screenshots for result:
View attachment 114881View attachment 114882

From this trial it can be seen that in some instances, skull chests won't even appear in loot even if your ship is not completely full of ship material crates and skull chests. I haven't tested this more than once so I can't say that there is a pattern to this, but I just wanted to point out this discrepancy.
Yes, this is a fairly typical result. It's not that skull chests won't appear but that pretty much all loot doesn't appear, when you port and see the details, exactly as shown in the drop down manifest when still at sea. It seems random and, as many have noted, much worse, further from correct, on the busy server. It's the facts that 1) the busy server is more affected and 2) lag is everywhere in the game but worse on the busy server and 3) lag has been seen to cause thing to happen out of sequence that lead me to guess that lag is a contributing factor. You should note that your drop down manifest says 4 Royal Chests but the actual ported is 5 Royal Chests etc...

Yes, this is a fairly typical result. It's not that skull chests won't appear but that pretty much all loot doesn't appear, when you port and see the details, exactly as shown in the drop down manifest when still at sea. It seems random and, as many have noted, much worse, further from correct, on the busy server. It's the facts that 1) the busy server is more affected and 2) lag is everywhere in the game but worse on the busy server and 3) lag has been seen to cause thing to happen out of sequence that lead me to guess that lag is a contributing factor. You should note that your drop down manifest says 4 Royal Chests but the actual ported is 5 Royal Chests etc...

I spoke with a friend who experienced not having all loot being collected (I think he was on Exuma). He did a few loot runs and all the loot pouches/chests/skulls did not appear at the end of the run. I've also had this happen to me on servers, Abassa/Andaba, and other quiet servers. So this problem isn't server dependent. If I may ask, what server did you test this on?

All gold-related cargos are kept, so at the end of the sailing run I get every royal chest that looted (replaced or kept). So I probably got 5 royal chests and only replaced 1, but I still received the gold worth from the 5 that I looted.

Is there a (known) timeline of when things went haywire or, is this a problem that has always occurred but only now being elevated?

Is there a (known) timeline of when things went haywire or, is this a problem that has always occurred but only now being elevated?
No shamus, it's been a thing as long as I've been on the beta and a newer player is just discovering the issue and freshly illustrating it.
I don't know if disney had their problems with sailing loot consistency so we may not have an actual standard to judge the process.
Was the loot process clearly diagrammed in potco and now tlopo?

I spoke with a friend who experienced not having all loot being collected (I think he was on Exuma). He did a few loot runs and all the loot pouches/chests/skulls did not appear at the end of the run. I've also had this happen to me on servers, Abassa/Andaba, and other quiet servers. So this problem isn't server dependent. If I may ask, what server did you test this on?

All gold-related cargos are kept, so at the end of the sailing run I get every royal chest that looted (replaced or kept). So I probably got 5 royal chests and only replaced 1, but I still received the gold worth from the 5 that I looted.
The Treasure Sense study, that you may have seen the results of, was 40 runs on random servers. I didn’t record which server each run was on but I know that there were a few, in the range of 2 to 4, on the popular server and not likely more than 4. It is also unlikely that there are any servers that had zero runs but it is possible, certainly most servers are represented. It is certainly not true that all gold related cargo is kept, the quantities of crates, chests, Royal Chests, and the gold totals that I see in Cargo Plunder never approach the kind of numbers that a full loot run would produce.

I think the problem got worse when they changed the way we got ship loot. Before when we got more I just don't think people noticed the discrepancies so much. Potco didn't make the changes tlopo has so we didn't notice it there either. Ever since the changes I just think it has become more apparent. Maybe that is why Potco never made those changes, I don't know.

Back