Suggestion Add an option to disable chat filter

While I support less chat restrictions, the team has expressed they do not intend to loosen or remove the chat filter.

Reactions: Avb
I would like to see it loosen up a bit, or perhaps in the far future, become "smart." That meaning, of you said Ohhhhh It would realize that it's just an extention. I do like the showing words in red, because I can catch spelling errors from it ;)

Edit. It does not make sense to request the words Ohhh, Ohhhhh, Ohhhhhh, Ohhhhhh and every single variation of wording you could think of. That being said, it does seem to be a lot more slack than the vanilla version.

The team is making from my perspective: very irrationally tight decisions if they don't want to loosen up the filter, The player base isn't kids anymore, It's returning players who are in their late teens or older. Please be an adult and accept this. Appeal to the current player base. Not 8 year olds. Pirates in nature aren't "Family-Friendly" either if you look at it from a scientific perspective. Pirates of the carribean was kinda mature, Stabbing? Shooting? Killing? Maiming? Looting? Plundering? What if that happend irl...? Would it be "Family-Friendly?" Also. Pirates cursed back then, They had foul mouths. I don't know what people were thinking when they did this. I mean, I am glad that the game is back up. But please think seriously and rationally. People playing this game are NOT children anymore. 90% more or less are late teens or older. I can see where your coming from. But what you want does not logically exist and cannot be created without having some disorder and resentment towards unjust and not thought over hard enough rules in the process. Allow a bit more freedom, And there is a garuntee a majority of the community will be happier. I'm not joking. We all know this is in the realm of fiction, Would it be a problem to make the realm of fiction a bit more expansive? Oh, And the views on spam and spam filters? Why be so restrictive? Look at the internet a few years ago. Did it have all these restrictions? No... Not really. At least i'm pretty sure it didn't. Because i was around back then, I witnessed all of these events firsthand. And yet people still got along nicley, And respected each other as human beings, Cared about each other. Not trying to trash anyone here either. I'm just dissapointed about how the way things are handled.

Last edited:
Please be an adult and accept this.
Please be an adult and accept that they have said, over and over, that they are not willing to make any changes to the chat filter. There are many reasons why they made the decision, and while your response is read and considered, they have made their decision because of many potential issues that I will explain.
Appeal to the current player base. Not 8 year olds.
First off, I know a lot of people in the community that like to play this game with their family of young children. So, there are some 8 year olds playing this game that deserve the filter. On top of that, the "current player base" may not even want unfiltered chat. I would seriously dislike this game if it did not have a chat filter. I don't find that profanity or inappropriate discussions belong in this game at all, it just isn't right to me, no matter what the historical background. (Obviously this game isn't very true to history anyway).
90% more or less are late teens or older.
First of all, where are you getting your statistics? You can't use "90%" as a statistic unless you have a source. On top of that, do the other 10% of little kids playing this game get to hear curse words and inappropriate discussions all the time? That's just not right.
Allow a bit more freedom, And there is a garuntee a majority of the community will be happier.
Another time where you need to have a source for this statistic. Like, seriously, the game doesn't revolve around you. Just because you would be happier without a filter, doesn't mean you can "garuntee" a majority of the community will be happier. Also, the filter is a little less restrictive when you spell words like gaurantee correctly :p
Oh, And the views on spam and spam filters? Why be so restrictive?
Why do you feel the need to spam the chats anyway? They aren't that restrictive at all, just wait a couple of seconds and the spamming message is gone. Spamming is disrespectful, so if you aren't going to do it, then why remove the filter?

I'd also like to point out that removing the chat filter poses dangerous risk towards being shut down by Disney. Disney found the chat filter very important, as they like to make many of their games friendly for all ages. If the chat filter were removed, Disney could see this as a "rebellion" against their family-friendly rules and hence, they could shut TLOPO down because they are upset that the chat is unfiltered and potentially 6-year-olds are reading profane and inappropriate conversations in-game

I totally agree with Peter. The chat system does not bother me at all. If a word comes up censored that I believe shouldn't be I simply put in a request to add it to the whitelist and after the next update it has been added.
I meet players under the age of 12 on a daily basis so I also am curious about where you get your stats from.
As far as spamming goes. In conversation/communication people speak on a turn basis so I don't see why a individual should have the need to fire out multiple comments in a few seconds and spam the chat. That is not communicating.
Still I appreciate you voicing your opinion.

I'm sorry if you disagree with me, My expectations were just failed to be met. And I got heavily discouraged about it.

Last edited:
Pretty much the only thing the “other remake” got right was starting everyone off on a whitelisted chat, then allowing you to enable blacklisted chat if you chose to do so. Really wish that would happen here too :(

I'd also like to point out that removing the chat filter poses dangerous risk towards being shut down by Disney. Disney found the chat filter very important, as they like to make many of their games friendly for all ages. If the chat filter were removed, Disney could see this as a "rebellion" against their family-friendly rules and hence, they could shut TLOPO down because they are upset that the chat is unfiltered and potentially 6-year-olds are reading profane and inappropriate conversations in-game
Peter, do you have a source for this comment about disney? I thought Disney was out of the picture about control of this content. Is there more to this story that's not being told, like why the logo change? And don't insult me that the old logo wasn't good enough. Why long drawn out chat changes?
Does tlopo really have any rights to this property? There is a lot of conflicting dialog on these forums. It's not who, or when, it's why is there change on one thing and nothing on another.

I never really noticed, but is the same chat filters in force on all channels? Whisper, guild, etc?

I totally agree with Peter. The chat system does not bother me at all. If a word comes up censored that I believe shouldn't be I simply put in a request to add it to the whitelist and after the next update it has been added.
I meet players under the age of 12 on a daily basis so I also am curious about where you get your stats from.
As far as spamming goes. In conversation/communication people speak on a turn basis so I don't see why a individual should have the need to fire out multiple comments in a few seconds and spam the chat. That is not communicating.
Still I appreciate you voicing your opinion.
What makes you believe they are 12? You can be any age you want in the chat. tlopo doesn't even verify who you are when you join in the first place.

How do you delete your own messages? Is it possible? Just asking out of curiousity. Not that i want to delete anything at this particular moment. I'm just wondering for the future.

I know they have been >under< the age of 12 because I talk to a lot of players and when they don't answer me I eventually get a msg saying " sorry this is my niece/nephew playing and he/she is 9 yrs old and don't type or write very well. She/he just like to run around killing things and shooting cannon" :)

1CIHsoeUQquHv8R9zEPoeA.jpeg

Cjwir5EySyS-kkfa02lylg.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that the majority of us can imagine how this situation would've went down without the chat filter.

If you stumble across a word that isn't whitelisted then feel free to make a post here ofcourse. I'd suggest to check this thread out too.

1CIHsoeUQquHv8R9zEPoeA.jpeg

Cjwir5EySyS-kkfa02lylg.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that the majority of us can imagine how this situation would've went down without the chat filter.

If you stumble across a word that isn't whitelisted then feel free to make a post here ofcourse. I'd suggest to check this thread out too.
Oh la la! "Ill throw you like a new born baby" I understand the context of the rest. I find it sorya funny but really what does that even mean? You can't do anything with a newborn baby I don't know why i even care

Last edited:
I thought Disney was out of the picture about control of this content.
Whoever told you that definitely needs to get their facts straight. Disney can technically shut down TLOPO at any time. Disney has copyright over the game, and since TLOPO recreated POTCO, Disney can file a lawsuit and win (there's no reason for them to lose, the game is their property), so TLOPO is technically breaking the law, but as long as Disney does not find a reason to act upon that, then the game is fine.
Is there more to this story that's not being told, like why the logo change? And don't insult me that the old logo wasn't good enough.
As far as I'm aware, the logo was a "fun" change to the website.
Does tlopo really have any rights to this property?
See above. Basically, no, because it's against Disneys copyright.

Last edited:
"squintz said:
Does tlopo really have any rights to this property?
As far as I'm aware, the logo was a "fun" change to the website.

See above. Basically, no, because it's against Disneys copyright.[/QUOTE]"

Well, you actually answered all my questions with that one small comment. The reason I asked is I thought disney released the client code to public domain and people were free to develop on that platform with no restrictions, or something like that.

Apparently that's not true at all. Not that it matters really. But I understand better about changes. Anything that is still identified as disney's game lopo such as the logo probably should be replaced. There may be more restrictions on code that tlopo may not be allowed to change, from the selling functions to the deck cannon assist feature.

And there's always the stuff of dev's keeper of the code that isn't a normal pirate members business.
I get that too.

How do you delete your own messages? Is it possible? Just asking out of curiousity. Not that i want to delete anything at this particular moment. I'm just wondering for the future.
I don't think you can actually delete it, but you can edit your own post....so you can delete the content of it and replace it with something like 'deleted by OP' (cos it won't let you leave it empty) :)

Back