Suggestion Add the Ship of the Line as a playable ship again like it was on live

Add the Ship of the Line in the future as a once again playable ship?

• Total voters
I'm sure a lot of people would want this added to the game. It's been mentioned before in the past but would it be possible? It's already in the game, the ship itself might just need some tweaks to it's stats to make just a bit better than the current best player ship and make the cost to obtain it and upgrade materials really high. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

It never was a playable ship on the live servers. It was accidentally released for purchase to test servers in POTCO and those that purchased them were able to keep them, but it was ridiculous as a player ship. Even if you changed all the stats the ship itself is just too large. Its width is like 2+ current war ships and its length is just about that much. You can see it here.

Theres plenty of threads here on the forums discussing it.

It be interesting to have a SOTL as your own ship but it would have to be nerfed severely to even have it as a pirate ship since depending on your stats it most likely would just 1 shot everything. I don't think it should be added as a ship for us to own due to this. Also I agree with Beggar!

It be interesting to have a SOTL as your own ship but it would have to be nerfed severely to even have it as a pirate ship since depending on your stats it most likely would just 1 shot everything. I don't think it should be added as a ship for us to own due to this. Also I agree with Beggar!
We can one-shot most enemy ships already with the ship customization. The ship of the line has 24 broadsides in total like the war galleon and the war brig so it won't be any different, all they really have to do is decrease its speed and turning since its a large ship. I honestly feel like not that many players will buy the ship because of its size and the turning speed will be slower than a war galleon. It would be cool to try it out for a few hours.

I would love to own a SOTL. They are incredible and giant. I would love to own a fleet of all 4 of my ship bottles of them just for fun. Of course they would need to be tweaked though. But i see above yes, they have the same ammount of broadsides as a galleon so those wouldn’t do excessive damage or anything really. Plus i watched a video on it earlier of a SOTL back in POTCO shooting a ghost ship and honestly it doesnt do that much damage. I would love to have a Fortune Hunter SOTL for mat runs. It would be amazing. Of course for it’s size it would need to be prioritized in Defense and maybe mid firepower so it wouldn’t destroy everything once it got upgrades on it. Point is yes. I have met like 30 people who have agreed in the past. They want a Sotl. But sadly it’s up to the majority of voters and if it is even possible to function in game right now.

It never was a playable ship on the live servers. It was accidentally released for purchase to test servers in POTCO and those that purchased them were able to keep them, but it was ridiculous as a player ship. Even if you changed all the stats the ship itself is just too large. Its width is like 2+ current war ships and its length is just about that much. You can see it here.

Theres plenty of threads here on the forums discussing it.
Well, test servers are still live servers. Regardless, a new ship that's a bit better with a different look should be added at some point. It's getting boring to see a million war brigs or war frigates running around.

I'm sure a lot of people would want this added to the game. It's been mentioned before in the past but would it be possible? It's already in the game, the ship itself might just need some tweaks to it's stats to make just a bit better than the current best player ship and make the cost to obtain it and upgrade materials really high. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

I have a very hard time seeing this as anywhere plausible. Ships of the Line have this unique issue where as they are vastly underpowered as of current, but don't need much tweaking to be absolutely broken. Only sporting the broadside count of a War Galleon as @Arr mentioned in their post above, they are huge bricks in the water that would be vastly slower than ALL adversaries, primarily just sporting an additional Health Pool and armor.

This presents the problem, that if we buff the speed of a SOTL, it no longer is slow and cumbersome, and in stead turns can achieve 15 knots naturally and turns on a dime. Buffing the broadside count of an SOTL proves the issue that they would have advantages against all currently existing warships, and keeping it the same would prove that it's presently weaker than a War Galleon overall.

Finally, buffing the Health/Armor will make it impossible to kill in SvS, and wouldn't change its relevant playstyle in SvE, as any ships that garner full explosive broadsides such as the HMS Battle Royale, EITC Corsair, Spanish Cerberus, etc, would still very much be able to one shot it very consistently due to its massive hitbox.

TL;DR, In short, the ship being available to pirate players would cause extreme balance issues, and there are no easy ways to get around this with a ship that was designed to be inevitably top tier. SOTL will likely not see release as a pirate ship, but in other variants down the road possibly.

I'd be more interested in a SOTL flagship

This is a fantastic idea, and I could see this being a good way to add interaction to the Ship-of-the-Line for treasure fleets and things of that sort, to add an extra bit of challenge.

I have a very hard time seeing this as anywhere plausible. Ships of the Line have this unique issue where as they are vastly underpowered as of current, but don't need much tweaking to be absolutely broken. Only sporting the broadside count of a War Galleon as @Arr mentioned in their post above, they are huge bricks in the water that would be vastly slower than ALL adversaries, primarily just sporting an additional Health Pool and armor.

This presents the problem, that if we buff the speed of a SOTL, it no longer is slow and cumbersome, and in stead turns can achieve 15 knots naturally and turns on a dime. Buffing the broadside count of an SOTL proves the issue that they would have advantages against all currently existing warships, and keeping it the same would prove that it's presently weaker than a War Galleon overall.

Finally, buffing the Health/Armor will make it impossible to kill in SvS, and wouldn't change its relevant playstyle in SvE, as any ships that garner full explosive broadsides such as the HMS Battle Royale, EITC Corsair, Spanish Cerberus, etc, would still very much be able to one shot it very consistently due to its massive hitbox.

TL;DR, In short, the ship being available to pirate players would cause extreme balance issues, and there are no easy ways to get around this with a ship that was designed to be inevitably top tier. SOTL will likely not see release as a pirate ship, but in other variants down the road possibly.

This is a fantastic idea, and I could see this being a good way to add interaction to the Ship-of-the-Line for treasure fleets and things of that sort, to add an extra bit of challenge.
Except, nobody does flagships anymore. Most people are either farming materials from warships, afk in Tortuga, or farming isla tormenta. The game needs to see some new player controlled content, like new player ships, to make the game more interesting. It's getting boring seeing the same two ships out at sea over and over again.

I always thought a SOTL was supposed to be better than warships and why would the developers buff the speed when that makes no sense since it's such a big ship. It could get more broadsides since it's such a big ship but nothing over 30 broadsides in total. The health of the ship should also increase since again it's a big ship and the cargo would increase in size as well. I'd like to mention how unbalanced the brig is because it has everything the majority of players want, speed, health, 24 total broadsides, that to me is unbalanced and makes the other 3 types of ship sort of pointless in my opinion.

I was actually looking for this thread myself in order to incorporate a possible idea into it and maybe get some responses on what the majority of players would come to think about it.

A little while back I can't remember the specific date - a ton of us pirates took our sails to Kingshead in order to receive the limited time codes that the GM's were passing out. During this time I distinctively remember this one individual pirate repeating the topic of "Bringing back the Ship of the Line". Dispite sounding like a broken record, it made me think for awhile - and after taking some time to think about it I approached @Stephen Teague in a conversation that he probably doesn't remember (considering he's a pretty busy guy).

In this conversation I brought up the idea of having a system where a "guild" as a whole can contribute and maintain their own "Ship of the Line". Upgrades would be completed collectively through donations of materials and gold provided by it's guild members, you could even call it a "guild project" and would require a certain cool down time before being able to set sail again after it's already been used. In SVS, guilds could use their Ship of the Line as a "Trump Card" to attempt in changing the tide of how the battle is going - or perhaps the guild is interested in a giant loot run, in which the Ship of the Line would come in handy there.

I have read a few of the other players responses, but myself personally thinking about every individual pirate having their own Ship of the Line seems a tad bit overpowered, considering the value that ship has under it's name. as @Misha had stated, the Ship of the Line is meant to be "a ship that was designed to be inevitably top tier." Let me know what you guy's think I am interested to hear everyone's views on it!

Last edited:
In this conversation I brought up the idea of having a system where a "guild" as a whole can contribute and maintain their own "Ship of the Line". Upgrades would be completed collectively through donations of materials and gold provided by it's guild members, you could even call it a "guild project" and would require a certain cool down time before being able to set sail again after it's already been used. In SVS, guilds could use their Ship of the Line as a "Trump Card" to attempt in changing the tide of how the battle is going - or perhaps the guild is interested in a giant loot run, in which the Ship of the Line would come in handy there.
Yeah I completely agree with this and its actually been my main suggestion for the implementation of the SOTL for forever now. Guildmasters and CO GMS could launch the ship for events and the guild could even share resources to upgrade it. This idea would make it a lot more interesting than just adding them as player ships.I think the ship is special and it wouldn't really make much sense to add to the game for any player to buy. I like the fact that only the Navy and EITC have them. The ship is utterly massive and doesn't really fit as a player ship in my opinion. I personally think its an unnecessary addition especially with Carracks on the way.

Except, nobody does flagships anymore. Most people are either farming materials from warships, afk in Tortuga, or farming isla tormenta. The game needs to see some new player controlled content, like new player ships, to make the game more interesting. It's getting boring seeing the same two ships out at sea over and over again.
Actually flagships are great if you're trying to level up grenade or other weapons when close to max 30. Board alone and have fun!

I'd like to mention how unbalanced the brig is because it has everything the majority of players want, speed, health, 24 total broadsides, that to me is unbalanced and makes the other 3 types of ship sort of pointless in my opinion.
Brig was offered as a "second best in everything" compromise. IMO, it's very ugly and its layout is a pain to move around on board if you only have a few gunners. Brigs circle forever trying to kill sloop hunters, so they still need an assist from a war sloop in that respect.

Back