Admins locking threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratesGoldie

Buccaneer
don't get why the admins are locking threads about the community opinions anything about the moderation team its confusing how they aren't letting us speak out and tell them what we actually think about it instead of not letting us do anything. anyone else agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any of you realize how much these people actually do to keep this game and forum safe. I've seen moderators stay up all night long to make sure somebody was watching the game and that nothing bad was going to happen. Every time somebody says "mod abuse!", I just roll my eyes. There is such a sophisticated process that goes into each ban. In order for you to have been banned, so many things have to go wrong. They are very lenient and try to work with players.

Before anyone even gets banned, excluding any extreme cases, a formal warning is sent to the offender. If they fail to correct their behavior/actions, they will get banned. It always seems like those who cry mod abuse don't always share the full story. They will make things sound really dark and evil, but in order for them to even be in the situation they are/were in, they had to have blatantly ignored the moderation team reaching out to them letting them know that what they're doing isn't right.

Moderators reserve the right to kick, warn, restrict, and ban players. If you think you were affected wrongly by a moderator, reach out to TLOPO at their support email. A person on the head of the moderation team will personally review the actions of their moderators, sit down one of one with them and figure out what happened. If they disagree with that moderator's actions, they will lighten or remove bans. Keep in mind that they're all human too, and humans aren't perfect. No moderator on the team will purposely be trying to harm players or ban players. If there ever is a mod like that, they'll be fired without hesitation.

I feel horrible for staff like Stephen and MMDR for getting such backlash. I've worked first hand with MMDR in the past and know she takes her job very seriously. She is a team player who spends countless hours making sure nobody is harming others in-game, she also hears appeals and helps out players wherever she can.

The PF staff are never going to stop community members from voicing opinions, after all they are the community too! PF and TLOPO both are community members taking the time to run a service for the rest of the community to enjoy -- and they do a pretty darn good job at it!

After seeing all of these threads about mod abuse, I reached out to my former co-workers and asked them what the percentage of players was who were banned in-game. It's a shocking 0.13% of accounts that have had any form of moderation review/infraction. Whether a moderator looked at their account, banned their account, kicked them, or even left a note on their profile for other staff to review. If there really was a lot of mod abuse, l would imagine that number would be a heck of a lot higher. Toontown Rewritten's team revealed that 0.73% of accounts had any form of infraction.

From one community member to another, enough already. You might not realize it, but claiming mod abuse when it's a justified case classifies as staff harassment. You're claiming that a moderator took the time out of their day to personally harm you, which is wrong. You're slandering their name and The TLOPO Team won't put up with that. If you want to go complain about something go to /r/complaints where you'll find a lot of other people who probably have much worse problems than a ban on a children's game.

As an insight, I have witnessed several cases where an actual registered *** offender was playing on TLOPO trying to get personal information from kids. This problem is not imaginary, it is real. There is a good reason for why moderators exist. They're not here to annoy you, they're here to keep you safe and make sure people follow the rules.

tl;dr: The TLOPO Team and The PF Team are made up community members just like you. They have no reason to individually harass/ban any random player that shows up on the forums. Their jobs are to keep you safe and will not sleep without knowing everyone in this community is safe. Please lighten up already with this mod abuse nonsense. You're not doing anything but embarrassing yourself.

</end rant>

don't get why the admins are locking threads about the community opinions anything about the moderation team its confusing how they aren't letting us speak out and tell them what we actually think about it instead of not letting us do anything. anyone else agree?
That thread was open for months and garnered dozens of helpful and actionable suggestions, many of which have helped and continue to help shape future policy changes. It's dishonest to imply that we don't allow or appreciate criticism, but the trouble is when the criticism does not remain grounded. In the past week, several situations were taken out of context and blown out of proportion in an attempt to antagonize members of the TLOPO moderation team. People have a natural tendency to react strongly to feelings of anger and outrage. These kinds of posts exploit that behavior, and wind up undermining otherwise valid and insightful (but comparably tame and boring) discussions. We try our best to curb this behavior and be permissive, but inevitably given enough time many threads take this direction and wind up locked.

If you have a problem with any of the TLOPO moderators, you may get in touch with @John Foulroberts. If you want to have a thoughtful and productive discussion about how to improve things, that's perfectly fine. If a thread is derailed by people fueling controversy and toxic behaviors, then it will be locked. That's all there is to it really.

I don't think any of you realize how much these people actually do to keep this game and forum safe. I've seen moderators stay up all night long to make sure somebody was watching the game and that nothing bad was going to happen. Every time somebody says "mod abuse!", I just roll my eyes. There is such a sophisticated process that goes into each ban. In order for you to have been banned, so many things have to go wrong. They are very lenient and try to work with players.

Remember that even mods and devs are humans too! Thank you Mr. Wass for pointing that out.

From one community member to another, enough already. You might not realize it, but claiming mod abuse when it's a justified case classifies as staff harassment. You're claiming that a moderator took the time out of their day to personally harm you, which is wrong. You're slandering their name and The TLOPO Team won't put up with that. If you want to go complain about something go to /r/complaints where you'll find a lot of other people who probably have much worse problems than a ban on a children's game.

Good advice, if I may say...

As an insight, I have witnessed several cases where an actual registered *** offender was playing on TLOPO trying to get personal information from kids. This problem is not imaginary, it is real. There is a good reason for why moderators exist. They're not here to annoy you, they're here to keep you safe and make sure people follow the rules.

AND THAT IS AN EXCELLENT REASON WHY WE NEED MODS!

I'd just like to say that I've played games where the community was undeservingly harsh to the development team.

Over time the developers just stopped wanting to interact with their player base. Interaction is important - otherwise how will they know what we want? What we like, or dislike. They read our suggestions, they read our whining, and they read our problems. Without that nothing would get fixed. Why would you ever want to drive these people away from us? Even if you don't like what they're doing, be civil about it.

Also, the games I mentioned above? Those were development teams run by businesses. In other words, it was their job. They couldn't just shut the game down, they'd lose their livelihoods. You know what would happen if the TLOPO devs got sick of all the TLOPO players? TLOPO would be no more.

We don't have to sprinkle sunshine over everything, look at the devs/mods/etc through rose tinted glasses, and pretend they're doing everything right all the time. We just have to treat them like they're actual people, with real lives and feelings, and give only constructive feedback - in a tactful manner.

This is really such a simple matter to understand and no one's 'rights' have been trampled upon and no one has been muffled. If you have the time, read the thread from beginning to end... carefully. There was a concern... The Moderators and team openly invited input, noting the importance of it and desire for it. The thread started off pretty respectful and constructive... And that is the key word here... Constructive! The moderators noted possible constructive input that would be inspected more closely and perhaps implemented... Then the inevitable happens... More and more obscure accusations take root, sprout into personal attacks, and then become a weed of disrespect and a complete lack of constructiveness. At that point... The thread HAS run it's course. It has degenerated to the point where no good can any longer come from it. My suggestion is to try writing well thought out, constructive and helpful suggestions... Don't read a response JUST to attack it. Process it. Acknowledge where certain members of the community are at fault too... Because it's become obvious to me that is a big part of this also. I'm sorry, but the vast majority of the community have no problem following rules and have had no problem whatsoever with moderators. Reading that thread probably confuses them to the ninth degree. Keep ANYTHING else to a private message with the appropriate individual... In most cases this is Mr. Foulroberts. And even then... Be respectful, be calm, point out your concern with level-headed talk that has combed over the issue from all angles from the player to the rules to the moderator. In real life there will ALWAYS be problems... this game, awesome as it is, should be the LEAST of them. How you approach the problem will ultimately say a lot about you, your character... and can become walls that keep you from attaining goals in life.
Respectfully,
Remington

Before anyone even gets banned, excluding any extreme cases, a formal warning is sent to the offender. If they fail to correct their behavior/actions, they will get banned. It always seems like those who cry mod abuse don't always share the full story. They will make things sound really dark and evil, but in order for them to even be in the situation they are/were in, they had to have blatantly ignored the moderation team reaching out to them letting them know that what they're doing isn't right.

Moderators reserve the right to kick, warn, restrict, and ban players. If you think you were affected wrongly by a moderator, reach out to TLOPO at their support email. A person on the head of the moderation team will personally review the actions of their moderators, sit down one of one with them and figure out what happened. If they disagree with that moderator's actions, they will lighten or remove bans. Keep in mind that they're all human too, and humans aren't perfect. No moderator on the team will purposely be trying to harm players or ban players. If there ever is a mod like that, they'll be fired without hesitation.

I feel horrible for staff like Stephen and MMDR for getting such backlash. I've worked first hand with MMDR in the past and know she takes her job very seriously. She is a team player who spends countless hours making sure nobody is harming others in-game, she also hears appeals and helps out players wherever she can.

The PF staff are never going to stop community members from voicing opinions, after all they are the community too! PF and TLOPO both are community members taking the time to run a service for the rest of the community to enjoy -- and they do a pretty darn good job at it!

After seeing all of these threads about mod abuse, I reached out to my former co-workers and asked them what the percentage of players was who were banned in-game. It's a shocking 0.13% of accounts that have had any form of moderation review/infraction. Whether a moderator looked at their account, banned their account, kicked them, or even left a note on their profile for other staff to review. If there really was a lot of mod abuse, l would imagine that number would be a heck of a lot higher. Toontown Rewritten's team revealed that 0.73% of accounts had any form of infraction.

tl;dr: The TLOPO Team and The PF Team are made up community members just like you. They have no reason to individually harass/ban any random player that shows up on the forums. Their jobs are to keep you safe and will not sleep without knowing everyone in this community is safe. Please lighten up already with this mod abuse nonsense. You're not doing anything but embarrassing yourself.

</end rant>
This right here sums up everything perfectly. Thank you Mike.

At that point... The thread HAS run it's course. It has degenerated to the point where no good can any longer come from it. My suggestion is to try writing well thought out, constructive and helpful suggestions... Don't read a response JUST to attack it

I just noticed that myself... this thread should really be locked, since it is trying to continue a previously locked thread, which had lots of... stuff that really wasn't helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back