Discussion AFK Pirates on ships is becoming a real problem.

Should captains be able to kick pirates off their ship outside of SvS?

• Yes

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
I'm sorry, but this post is so all over the place, and off topic, that I have trouble seeing the point you were trying to make, maybe you could clear that up? I don't understand how poker, and bugs have anything to do with AFK players on ships?

Usually alts are in the same guild too. Or that's what I have seen. But to me Phelle seems to be unreasonable and has little interest in fixing the problem.

I've seen a raise of afk pirates since the cheat out of jail time with the card game glitch. Where you could have the pc win bets for you and earn double.

clear yet? I was responding to this and I know you dont want to hear it cause I disagree with you, and I know that if I did agree with you than this would have been 100 % on topic in your eyes, but Im done. Its been 2 days now and seriously this is just a waste of air because we will never agree and you will continue to tear into anything.
So I am going to say I respect your opinions, i wish the same from you have a great day LesPaulObsession

clear yet? I was responding to this and I know you dont want to hear it cause I disagree with you, and I know that if I did agree with you than this would have been 100 % on topic in your eyes, but Im done. Its been 2 days now and seriously this is just a waste of air because we will never agree and you will continue to tear into anything.
So I am going to say I respect your opinions, i wish the same from you have a great day LesPaulObsession
I respectfully disagree. I just didn't understand what your point was (and honestly I still don't), I was asking for clarification, simply because I saw no relation between the aforementioned poker glitches, and the issue this thread is supposed to discuss, that is all

With the treasure fleet* update, afk pirates will be even more annoying...

*Not sure if this update is treasure fleets, but pretty sure...

I'm probably late to this topic, but I really like the idea of banning pirates from entering your ship.
It sounds like a much better idea than booting or having an afk timer.
Captains should have a decent amount of control over their own ship right?
Some captains let their friends go afk, so they can help them, or sometimes said friends might even have to go afk for a long duration, and would end up missing all the loot, even though they were gunning / repairing for a lot of the run. If said afk timer was there.
Now, the boot option, too much easy to use power ( This game does have some pretty rude people in it - so I don't doubt there will be trolls that will kick for laughs. It works in svs because... gasp the other team sends rogue people over to ruin your ship ( Maybe hog a cannon, maybe block out repairs ). The option to ban specific people from ever boarding your ship sounds perfect. It can't be abused for kicks, and it'll stop anyone the captain has an issue with from boarding. Though, if this does actually happen, we'll need an active ban list we can look at, so we can un-ban players on the fly if we feel like giving them a second chance.

Last edited:
It has been no secret that pirates like to go afk on ships and collect the loot while doing other things. This has been basically the main argument for adding the ability to kick pirates from your ship, but it has been getting worse and worse. Today, I encountered the worse I have seen, which I have screenshots of below. Every public mat run I have been on today, with the exception of one, has had FIVE afk level 1 pirates (or rather 4 level 1s and a level 2) sitting on the ship. Heck, one of the runs the ship had 14 out of 12 pirates on the ship! I understand that there is a point where more people won't do much for your ship, but why do we do literally nothing about it and let people do this? This isn't an example of people going afk for a second because they had something in real life come up, this is someone that has made 5 pirates, or 5 people that have made alts, taking up half the ship doing nothing at level 1 so they can get a head start on materials at the expense of others for when they decide to work on said pirate.

I urge the team to once again consider letting pirates kick other pirates off their ship. The trolling argument is the only one I've seen against it and frankly it is a weak argument fueled by paranoia.

View attachment 94983 View attachment 94984

The level 1s, Leon and Jason will be removed from The British Empire ASAP for this disgraceful display. My guild members are held to high standards, you have my sincere apologies for their leeching.

We have common sense rules in our guild which are as followed:
1. Be courteous, and use common sense.
2. Do not go AFK on anyone's ship without the permission of the Captain of said ship.
3. If someone is looting/leveling/grinding in a location that you wish to loot/level/grind, ask politely before you join in. If they do not want you to join in, respect their choice and try another server. Too many times have I have seen individuals try to steal the gold room, or south totem from others without asking permission.
4. Ask before you TP. (Always hate when people TP when you're looting/lvling/questing, etc)
5. A real common sense rule, but the obvious must be stated; Do not break TLOPO Terms Of Service. This makes the guild that is under your name look bad.

My DMs are always open to anyone to whom has evidence of any of my members breaking these rules.

Last edited:

first of all no! just NO! because there is alot of childish people that will kick people from their ship without any reason, AFK people on ship aren't a problem.. Nothing will happen if 2-5 or all the ship will be AFK.. Just keep hit the sea's with your sailing, dont you think like me? Nothing will happen without them, let them be AFK, maybe they're doing somthing like I do sometimes AFK on boards because I handling things on forums and photoshoping..

There are more reasons for a boot option, besides afk players. There are a lot of 'leech' players that are quite foul in chat, while still not doing anything to help the run. ( Some decide to block cannons for the gunners, others bad talk the captain while saying " LOL you can't kick me, port now scrub!". < That was the nicest thing one of these 'leeches' said. It's a mess really. Some form of boot / ship-ban is definitely needed.

first of all no! just NO! because there is alot of childish people that will kick people from their ship without any reason, AFK people on ship aren't a problem.. Nothing will happen if 2-5 or all the ship will be AFK.. Just keep hit the sea's with your sailing, dont you think like me? Nothing will happen without them, let them be AFK, maybe they're doing somthing like I do sometimes AFK on boards because I handling things on forums and photoshoping..
I agree it could make things worst if people start kicking others for no reason.

It has been no secret that pirates like to go afk on ships and collect the loot while doing other things. This has been basically the main argument for adding the ability to kick pirates from your ship, but it has been getting worse and worse. Today, I encountered the worse I have seen, which I have screenshots of below. Every public mat run I have been on today, with the exception of one, has had FIVE afk level 1 pirates (or rather 4 level 1s and a level 2) sitting on the ship. Heck, one of the runs the ship had 14 out of 12 pirates on the ship! I understand that there is a point where more people won't do much for your ship, but why do we do literally nothing about it and let people do this? This isn't an example of people going afk for a second because they had something in real life come up, this is someone that has made 5 pirates, or 5 people that have made alts, taking up half the ship doing nothing at level 1 so they can get a head start on materials at the expense of others for when they decide to work on said pirate.

I urge the team to once again consider letting pirates kick other pirates off their ship. The trolling argument is the only one I've seen against it and frankly it is a weak argument fueled by paranoia.

View attachment 94983 View attachment 94984
I didn't have time to read this entire thread, but from the parts I have read I must say this.

I have no problem with people going afk on ships AS LONG AS THEY ASK THE CAPTAIN FIRST. I don't see the problem with going afk as long as the captain is notified of it and says it's ok which to be honest, 90% of captains I have asked (which hasn't been that many but still some) all said yes its fine thanks for asking.

I certainly see the other problems where people get on your ships and act stupid or block gunners/going afk without asking.

I do think something needs to be done about this but idk about just simply being able to kick whoever you want, because that could backfire.

2 more things.

1. Maybe a system where you could only kick like 1-2 people per run. While this wouldn't completely solve troll kicking problems, it would limit the amount of people you could kick. Still not a great solution though.

2. Was this not a feature in POTCO? Maybe I just have a bad memory but I feel like I remember being able to boot people from my ship when not on SvS...

How about this, a 'walk the plank' option where the captain can flag a member of the crew for pvp, and the rest of the crew can attack them if they want? The offending crew member would then be K.O.'d and set to jail.

It would help prevent captains abusing since the crew would have to agree. Or, just a vote to kick option?

Another person arguing that AFK pirates aboard ships is the captains fault -_- A lot of people (myself included) open their ship to public, to find new pirates to interact with, and bring along for future runs, thus the solution you provided, just closing the ship, and calling on friends, can't always work, because pirates may not have enough friends. Why is it the popular thing to blame captains for the laziness and wrongdoing of others?
Then I guess you deal with the consequences !!

I see others crying of AFK players yet they keep going to Public ships , If ya go to them then Live with It ! Plain and simple !
No I don't join Public ships ! For many reasons but If you do then abide by what that Captain does or leave that ship .

I didn't have time to read this entire thread, but from the parts I have read I must say this.

I have no problem with people going afk on ships AS LONG AS THEY ASK THE CAPTAIN FIRST. I don't see the problem with going afk as long as the captain is notified of it and says it's ok which to be honest, 90% of captains I have asked (which hasn't been that many but still some) all said yes its fine thanks for asking.

I certainly see the other problems where people get on your ships and act stupid or block gunners/going afk without asking.

I do think something needs to be done about this but idk about just simply being able to kick whoever you want, because that could backfire.

2 more things.

1. Maybe a system where you could only kick like 1-2 people per run. While this wouldn't completely solve troll kicking problems, it would limit the amount of people you could kick. Still not a great solution though.

2. Was this not a feature in POTCO? Maybe I just have a bad memory but I feel like I remember being able to boot people from my ship when not on SvS...
While I understand everyone's fear about the booting feature getting abused, I just feel like its not a really valid concern, for a few reasons. One, you're going to upset everyone, if you kick them off a ship, before porting, so those people aren't gonna sail with you again, and they'll probably tell their friends about it as well. The other thing is, we have a reporting system. Like, if a captain does that, and everyone in the crew sends a report, discipline will come. That being said, I don't think there are really that many members of the community, that would do something like that, because other than to upset a bunch of people, there's really no personal gain in it for them.

Um, maybe don't deliberately board a ship, with the intention of going AFK then? Like, that;s disrespectful to everyone aboard, especially the captain. My ship is worth a lot of money, I've poured a lot of time and effort into that ship, and I think it's fair to allow myself, and all other captains, the privilege to kick and/or ban pirates from my ship. Whether it be for AFK, or trashtalking people, and demanding I port, it's my ship, I worked for it, I have the right to have control over who stays aboard or not. Back in the age of pirates, if a captain didn't like a member of the crew, it was off to the plank they went, so I feel that it's just to allow captains to boot people off the ship if they see fit.

I love this idea! Maybe it could be 15 minutes of no movement or interaction with the game disconnects the player. I think that would be more than enough time.

Nah 11 to 13 minutes with a red text saying 15. This way they can't put a routine in whatever else they are doing by just moving or playing the repair mini game once when the timer appears.

Nah 11 to 13 minutes with a red text saying 15. This way they can't put a routine in whatever else they are doing by just moving or playing the repair mini game once when the timer appears.
Even that would be incredible easy to bypass. If you are on your computer still you just tab in and press enter twice every 10 minutes. If you aren't on your computer, making a macro with a toggle loop or making a script to input a key every once in a while to prevent you from DCing would take minimal effort.

Even that would be incredible easy to bypass. If you are on your computer still you just tab in and press enter twice every 10 minutes. If you aren't on your computer, making a macro with a toggle loop or making a script to input a key every once in a while to prevent you from DCing would take minimal effort.

Maybe with a activity check that you're actually dealing damage or repairing the ship would fix it.

Requiring actual contribution would make it a real chore to even script that. Which would fall under exploiting or 3rd party program with intent to exploit.

Back