Discussion AFK Pirates on ships is becoming a real problem.

Should captains be able to kick pirates off their ship outside of SvS?

• Yes

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
Should captains be able to kick pirates off their ship outside of SvS?

first of all no! just NO! because there is alot of childish people that will kick people from their ship without any reason, AFK people on ship aren't a problem.. Nothing will happen if 2-5 or all the ship will be AFK.. Just keep hit the sea's with your sailing, dont you think like me? Nothing will happen without them, let them be AFK, maybe they're doing somthing like I do sometimes AFK on boards because I handling things on forums and photoshoping..
I agree^ sometimes I’ll go sailing and I need to quickly go do something and it may take longer then I expected so my pirate will end up going “afk” on the ship. I don’t think we should have a kicking/banning ability....I don’t wanna come back to my computer finding out I was kicked/banned because I was “afk”. Just deal with the people going afk. Crew the people you want on the ship and then port and go out again. Only this time leave the ship on “crew” only.

I guess I don't understand why this is such an issue. You as the captain of your own ship can select Public, Crew, or Guild only. If you don't want AFK pirates, than don't pick Public. If your in Crew, than port and un-crew the AFK pirate, and set sail. Hopefully Guild will respect you if you don't want AFK. This is the way I approach the issue when I sail.

I guess I don't understand why this is such an issue. You as the captain of your own ship can select Public, Crew, or Guild only. If you don't want AFK pirates, than don't pick Public. If your in Crew, than port and un-crew the AFK pirate, and set sail. Hopefully Guild will respect you if you don't want AFK. This is the way I approach the issue when I sail.
As I have stated though, I know tons of pirates open their ship to public to meet new players to sail with. Public ship boarding was never implemented to allow people to just board a ship and go AFK the whole time. If something legitimate happens, and you have to go, that's one thing, but the issue lies in the ones that board with the plan of just standing there mooching off the rest of the crew hard work. I as a captain shouldn't have to close my ship off and sail alone, because people abuse the ability to publicly board another players ship

LessPaul, I understand your point. I think openning to Public means you get all kinds of players. If you don't want AFK, then Crew the pirates you like, port your ship and launch back out in Crew mode. I don't like the idea of kicking pirates off a Public ship.

LessPaul, I understand your point. I think openning to Public means you get all kinds of players. If you don't want AFK, then Crew the pirates you like, port your ship and launch back out in Crew mode. I don't like the idea of kicking pirates off a Public ship.
While that's a solution, yes, it's rather inconvenient don't you think? I don't understand why being able to kick/ban players from your ship, that you've worked really hard to purchase, upgrade, and personalize, is such a bad thing. People that think players will abuse it, are afraid of a very, very small portion of players, being that there is no viable reason to give everyone the boot before porting. I think, there should be an option to kick players from the ship, followed by a check box, asking why they were kicked, and if you'd like them to be banned from boarding your ship in the future. I work hard for my ship, I should be allowed to decide who is, and isn't allowed on board, and less broad than friends, crew, guild, and public

It's highly unlikely you will be able to do both. Most people who brought alt sometimes afk themselves too.

An inactivity timer wouldn't be such a bad idea. Since it also reduces server load and in turn allow for other people who do want to play with their friends.
Been here most this year, and the alt thought never crossed my mind. Didn't even know I could play more than one pirate at a time. Is this legal?
Is it ethical? But I also like the inactivity concept. This way it's the games decision and not blaming pirates or capt's. Perhaps some sort of timing thing where if a pirate comes aboard and goes inactive in less than, say 2 minutes and have no activity for another 2 minutes, they are DC'd without loot or credit for or against the afk pirate. If a pirate isn't scoring something, contributing?!, why should they benefit.

Is this what I'm witnessing when ganged up on DH? Pirates sleeping through repeated kills of DH, they can't be gaining anything without tagging correct?

I have felt weird taking loot when I jump on a public ship, repair for a minute and all of a sudden the capt ports. It's timing, but feels weird to accept full loot. Believe it or not, lots of times I don't take any items and just close it out with whatever was auto loaded which I don't think I can stop.
I've learned something new every day reading this forum.

Well, some time ago I posted about taking away auto cannon control for good. I soon realized that was a self centered idea. What this game needs is more ability to have a choice. A choice to kick pirates of your ship, not a mandate. A choice to turn off auto cannon control, not a mandate to take something away from everyone. We all play with different styles and agendas and personalities. Tlopo has tried to stay the course of freedom of choice and it's probably not a simple thing to do.

It's your ship, I think you should have a right by choice to do kick. But, realize this, for every rule or action in a game, someone will always cheat the system. They always have and always will. There will be abuse by capt and pirates alike. There is now.

If tlopo gives us abilities to do things by choice that is a fair thing to do, and when abuse shows up, then it should also be the responsibility of the pirate members as well to come to these forums to report it and find solutions.
I believe tlopo giving us choices and abilities is a very fair and productive game experience. To also allow us to abuse it without taking things away is, believe it or not, a very fair thing to do as well. Tlopo isn't any different than other multi-player games in trying to give members the widest and varied game play experience we can have.

I looked back at my cannon posts as a learning experience for me. And I realized taking something away in a gaming community isn't the way to go. I firmly believe adding abilities to turn personal stuff on and off may be the fairest thing to me. Things that effect my own game play, not everyone else. Making only one side of a ship active isn't at all conductive nor fair.

Novel over. I think that was 6 and a half cents worth there.

Last edited:
While that's a solution, yes, it's rather inconvenient don't you think? I don't understand why being able to kick/ban players from your ship, that you've worked really hard to purchase, upgrade, and personalize, is such a bad thing. People that think players will abuse it, are afraid of a very, very small portion of players, being that there is no viable reason to give everyone the boot before porting. I think, there should be an option to kick players from the ship, followed by a check box, asking why they were kicked, and if you'd like them to be banned from boarding your ship in the future. I work hard for my ship, I should be allowed to decide who is, and isn't allowed on board, and less broad than friends, crew, guild, and public
I agree about the ability to kick. But now I ask, why even open to public if you can choose guild or friends? I still think it's up to us, the pirates to play fair and uphold decency in the game. There would be no game if the dev's gave in to every gripe with a removal of a function itself. I think that's way tlopo doesn't do that.

I agree about the ability to kick. But now I ask, why even open to public if you can choose guild or friends? I still think it's up to us, the pirates to play fair and uphold decency in the game. There would be no game if the dev's gave in to every gripe with a removal of a function itself. I think that's way tlopo doesn't do that.
I think if someone can kick pirates off the ship it will be abused. You can be kicked just because someone is on a power trip. Not a good idea, leave things be.

I think if someone can kick pirates off the ship it will be abused. You can be kicked just because someone is on a power trip. Not a good idea, leave things be.
Well, that's why many games have checks and balances and members who care enough to go on the forums to talk about it. I believe tlopo has avenues to report player abuse, so if cap'ts are abusing then it should show up in a report at some time. Just like we should report excessive loading of alts on public ships. Someone with five active alts all online probably won't take it personally if an alt is reported.

its obvious that you know alot about this, what are you doing to solve this "Problem:? or is this not your concern?? Never even knew this was an issue, I had to play poker the other day in hallowed woods, and I think I cheated the game by bringing my alt in to stand behind me and heal me.. I will go stand in the jail now. And do you also know that phelle and her alts, randomly jump on public ships, repair and jump right back off??? Hmmm so maybe you dont know phelle at all ....

EDIT I stand corrected.. Was just reminded that a friend in game had experienced this Poker Bug, and his solution to this was to actually report it to the Devs. and not exploit that further.
I think that you did do a cheat by using another account to heal your main. What poker bug are you talking about? Hollowed poker has the ghosts clearly tell you you will lose your life for too much gold or whatever. I don't see a bug here. If you also lost maybe twice in a row you lose your life and go to jail. You clearly cheated a game challenge.
I don't know why however. Some people actually like the 'challenge' to beat a game going outside the rules and don't consider it cheating.
Personally, I feel it's less than noble using alts at all. And when one leaves a lvl 1 sleeping around to just gain something, I feel it cheapens the experience for everyone. Also, if you can have only 6 or 8 pirates on a smaller ship, it's almost guaranteeing a losing battle if 5 out of 6 or 8 are sleeping on their decks and not repairing. It's certainly not the captains fault nor fair to the voyage as well.

I think a capt should have a right to kick a afk pirate at any time to the nearest island or where ever the game sends them. If I had gone afk for some reason and was kicked, all I'd have to do is ask that capt to come back and maybe explain why. A multi account person isn't even going to bother.

@squintz, none of my pirates are level 1, the lowest I have is level 17 (for now). And yes, I am only speaking of me, but since you quoted me I just figured I would clarify. But, no, using my other pirate to heal me during hallowed poker is not a cheat. and I know of no other cheats, as I dont play poker unless i have to in order for a quest. But i do actually play all if them and no i dont always run them at the same time, if I am sailing I will use as a rep buff, but on my ship. As being a mulit acct person, I wouldnt kick at all, simply for the fact that you never know who is on the other end of that keyboard. You can only assume 1 persons agenda or reason, we cant know every reason a person goes afk, and I am not saying that there arent the ones that do abuse that fact, but i dont know who they are, and wont think that everyone in the game is a bunch of lazy free loaders. but that is neither here nor there, regardless of whether it actually does become an option, I will never be forced to use it, and so I will gladly choose not too. I know I probably stand alone in this, but I just cant imagine in a group of so many great people that everyone is a parasite, out to freeload, to make everyone else work harder, not helping by pitch in, not do anything just to get a bag of loot.

@squintz, none of my pirates are level 1, the lowest I have is level 17 (for now). And yes, I am only speaking of me, but since you quoted me I just figured I would clarify. But, no, using my other pirate to heal me during hallowed poker is not a cheat. and I know of no other cheats, as I dont play poker unless i have to in order for a quest. But i do actually play all if them and no i dont always run them at the same time, if I am sailing I will use as a rep buff, but on my ship. As being a mulit acct person, I wouldnt kick at all, simply for the fact that you never know who is on the other end of that keyboard. You can only assume 1 persons agenda or reason, we cant know every reason a person goes afk, and I am not saying that there arent the ones that do abuse that fact, but i dont know who they are, and wont think that everyone in the game is a bunch of lazy free loaders. but that is neither here nor there, regardless of whether it actually does become an option, I will never be forced to use it, and so I will gladly choose not too. I know I probably stand alone in this, but I just cant imagine in a group of so many great people that everyone is a parasite, out to freeload, to make everyone else work harder, not helping by pitch in, not do anything just to get a bag of loot.
No one here said 'everyone'. Only people who play more than one toon at the same time to gain an edge, get loot faster or game the system.
Again, to play multi account- two or more active toons in one space is only for self service and in the ship example it's a direct detriment to the owners of the ship, and other regular players. Loot isn't what this is about, it's when the alt 'alters' others playing experience, and the ship afk alt is a perfect example in tlopo. There is a limited space on a ship, period. You, or another multi account coming on board and sleeping is reducing repairing, cannoning and other crew benefits with the wasteful alts sleeping around.

I can't explain any more concise than that. Either a person understands that, or they condone multi boxing and gaining an unfair advantage any time they can. If you're of the later, then there's nothing I or anyone can say to convince you otherwise.

Early on I thought pirates effected how much loot a captain gets if they tag a ship sailing by and not finish it's sinking. That action as far as I can tell, does not penalize anyone or steal loot away. Could it be considered underhanded? Not really because the action isn't taking anything away or effecting other people. Is it a glitch, no. Is it a cheat? No. Can it be considered lame? Sure, but that's subjective and only an opinion of something that isn't effecting game play and other people.

Purposely afk alts IS effecting people. Always has when it comes to ships. Afk/alt is a indefensible position that doesn't have merit in the first place.

Last edited:
Ok again I am only speaking of myself.. I do not take multi pirates on anyones ship. I do however take them aboard my own, or friends that have already given permission. I am not going to take my toons anywhere where if 1 of them was using a space someone actually wanted, and if that ever became an issue I would gladly remove them. And most the people who do join my ship have always asked if they can go afk, and whats funny is they arent multi acct people. And i dont know what your experience is but again, I do know what mine is. and seeing these hugely incorrect assumptions is the reason why I will never kick anyone. Too many times people will make hugely inaccurate statements about this person or that person or in this case your assumotions about me. If you want to know whether or not I do something its simple... ask me... I have more respect for my fellow players than you know, and how I play my game is far from being only self service. But I do apprieciate your time in generalizing those that play multi accts, but i know of quite a few, and none of them are as you are describing. Not one of them will do any of the things that have been stated in any if this thread. And when I defend myself, the hostility that follows, is rather amazing, I am not like what you are stating and I am assuming you are meaning me directly. And if you ever would like the chance to change your opinion that you now hold, please message me, I will gladly show you the type of multi account people that I know and the type I am... Im not looking to change your opinion on kicking from ships just please consider you could be wrong in these opinion you are stating run square in "multi account people"

Ok again I am only speaking of myself.. I do not take multi pirates on anyones ship. I do however take them aboard my own, or friends that have already given permission. I am not going to take my toons anywhere where if 1 of them was using a space someone actually wanted, and if that ever became an issue I would gladly remove them. And most the people who do join my ship have always asked if they can go afk, and whats funny is they arent multi acct people. And i dont know what your experience is but again, I do know what mine is. and seeing these hugely incorrect assumptions is the reason why I will never kick anyone. Too many times people will make hugely inaccurate statements about this person or that person or in this case your assumotions about me. If you want to know whether or not I do something its simple... ask me... I have more respect for my fellow players than you know, and how I play my game is far from being only self service. But I do apprieciate your time in generalizing those that play multi accts, but i know of quite a few, and none of them are as you are describing. Not one of them will do any of the things that have been stated in any if this thread. And when I defend myself, the hostility that follows, is rather amazing, I am not like what you are stating and I am assuming you are meaning me directly. And if you ever would like the chance to change your opinion that you now hold, please message me, I will gladly show you the type of multi account people that I know and the type I am... Im not looking to change your opinion on kicking from ships just please consider you could be wrong in these opinion you are stating run square in "multi account people"
Okay. You're very new. You came into tlopo knowing how and about alt play. Were are talking about playing separate accounts correct? Not your one account other 6 allowable pirates we can create, to play them one at a time, correct? Does tlopo allow one to log on twice and play one of their other pirates in the same account? I don't know.
One simple question, why do you do it?

I think that you did do a cheat by using another account to heal your main. What poker bug are you talking about? Hollowed poker has the ghosts clearly tell you you will lose your life for too much gold or whatever. I don't see a bug here. If you also lost maybe twice in a row you lose your life and go to jail. You clearly cheated a game challenge.

Back in POTCO when they added the Undead Poker to Rat's Nest for the Raven's Cove quest, the Disney developers made it so people could be healed while playing undead poker. If they had intended for you to die at the table every so many hands, they would have implemented a healing block of some kind... or even a TP block to the shack to prevent people having healers while trying to beat the undead at Tortuga Hold 'Em.

So, no it is not cheating to heal someone or use a second account to heal yourself while playing Undead Poker. I myself did it in POTCO and I did it in TLOPO for the Hallowed Woods quest.

But, if you truly feel that it's unethical for you to use that advantage, then by all means keep playing the Undead Poker how you play it.

Last edited:
I don't know why however. Some people actually like the 'challenge' to beat a game going outside the rules and don't consider it cheating.
Personally, I feel it's less than noble using alts at all. And when one leaves a lvl 1 sleeping around to just gain something, I feel it cheapens the experience for everyone. Also, if you can have only 6 or 8 pirates on a smaller ship, it's almost guaranteeing a losing battle if 5 out of 6 or 8 are sleeping on their decks and not repairing. It's certainly not the captains fault nor fair to the voyage as well.

POTCO even allowed people to have multiple accounts per IP address. The only thing that was prevented was having multiple accounts per email address. Of course the main reason why they allowed this was probably so that people would keep paying for each account.

I had a friend who would create the max # of pirates (which was 4 per account in POTCO), master them all, and the create a new account and do it all over again. I do believe that she had 6 accounts before POTCO closed.

I myself had 2 accounts to my name. Both of them were unlimited the last few years that POTCO was open. And YES I did have two accounts on at the same time many times. Not often though. I mainly did this when I was on during the day while the kids were at school and I needed to do quests or level. I would use one to heal or as a totem to tp to.

This is in no way cheating. Does it give someone an advantage? Well, not exactly. I had gone to jail many times even when having a second pirate logged in to heal. Things just happen in game.

TLOPO allows you to have as many accounts as you want, as long as it's one account per email address. Just like POTCO did!

Again, this is not cheating.

Some people prefer to level or quest by themselves and they will use alt accounts to assist with crew bonus or healing.

What is cheating? That is using a third party program. Doesn't matter if its on a secondary account or the main account. If you're using some kind of clicker program to enable you to constantly click to heal or fight, that is cheating. Doesn't even matter if you don't have a second account and use it, that is cheating.

You however are welcome to play TLOPO however you feel is the most ethical way for you to do it. If that means only one account logged in at once, then that is fine.

AFK on ships... Y'all are splitting hairs now and going in circles debating this. This has always been an issue, even in POTCO days. Just like rep stealers or claiming loot spots. Everyone has the right to play this game however they want, as long as it is within the TOS for TLOPO. And going afk on a ship and mooching off of someone else's efforts... Well, that's mooching, not exploiting.

Many people have had excellent points with not knowing who is on the other end. Do people do this on purpose? YES. But others are correct in saying that sometimes, real life happens and they have to step away without explanation.

My advice is for each of you to deal with this however you see fit. If you want to let your ship sink, fine. If you want to get a good crew of hard workers, port and then close ship to public, fine. You do you in game and worry about how you play. All points have been heard by the developers and the community on this issue. We'll just have to wait and see if the kick is added to regular sailing or not.

In the mean time, try to keep this subject civil and refrain from name calling.

I would like to politely clarify my argument on this topic :) I personally, only get frustrated, if someone comes aboard, asks to be crewed, and afterwards, just stands there, and does nothing. They don't tell people they're going AFK, or say "brb", they just vanish. I've had friends that have gone AFK on my ship, but they've told me, "Hey Jack, gotta do something really quick, gotta go AFK, won't be long." I don't have a problem with that, but if we're right in the middle of a battle with a Battle Royale, while I have a full ship, and a pirate came aboard at the beginning of the voyage, got crewed, and then disappeared, that's where I would use a kick feature, so that I could make room for a pirate actually willing to contribute to the crew. I wouldn't ban anyone, unless they were repeat freeloaders, just because I do understand sometimes something comes up. I'm really only going to take action on my ship, when it's affecting the ship and crew. I hope this maybe clarifies, in a much more polite manner, the argument I've been trying to make. :)

Back in POTCO when they added the Undead Poker to Rat's Nest for the Raven's Cove quest, the Disney developers made it so people could be healed while playing undead poker. If they had intended for you to die at the table every so many hands, they would have implemented a healing block of some kind... or even a TP block to the shack to prevent people having healers while trying to beat the undead at Tortuga Hold 'Em.

So, no it is not cheating to heal someone or use a second account to heal yourself while playing Undead Poker. I myself did it in POTCO and I did it in TLOPO for the Hallowed Woods quest.

But, if you truly feel that it's unethical for you to use that advantage, then by all means keep playing the Undead Poker how you play it.
Thank you for the input. The part about the poker and allowing you to heal sounds very weird. Why even be killed playing poker if it's allowed to have a second account come in and beat the challenge in a outside the game way.

I've been playing video games for decades and dealt with other people and their extra accounts for years.

Kate, you've been around for years, even a moderator now, but when I go back in time to others arguments and they claim such and such was allowed and the 'devs' put this in etc, it really wasn't a game rule, but an overall player acceptance that it was that way. Over time people think it was because no one really spoke against anything so now it seems to be the developer said it was okay. I don't think so. Logically it makes no sense if one plays the campaign as a single player like it was designed to be. I highly doubt Disney would say it was alright to game the poker challenge.

Let's be real here. No multi player video game ever created was written to be used with a multi account. Fact. Multi account was totally, completely created from the players side of games. To game the system. To speed up leveling, to get more loot, to get better gear, to be cool and wipe a whole raid by yourself. Hey, if it's a 25 man raid against a PVE boss and you are all 25 men, who cares, it's just you and the game. When you're 25 players against other players, it's a rip off because you're probably maxed out gear wise and wipe everyone. But that too is subjective and not a real point here.

Multi account is about gaining an advantage in many ways, and in tlopo using them to sleep on ships is a direct abuse of multi accounts.
And the arguments for multi accounts have stayed the same for years. "who is it hurting". "I don't bother no one" "the dev's said it was okay".

It also brings us to a paid account versus a free account. Blizzard neither condones nor agrees to multi account. But Blizzard has set limits to make it harder to multi-box. If it was okay, why would Bliz even bother acknowledging it. We know Bliz is about the money. Why even have cheat systems in place if it's okay to multi-box? Bliz states one has to use separate keyboards to use another account and it has to be paid. If someone wants to pay all that money for extra accounts, more power to them. But Bliz draws the line against software that allows one player on one keyboard to run extra toons. Bliz and other games have people with over 50 accounts running on special software dominating PVP. It exists and happens every day.

Kate, you're a moderator, but I'd like to hear from tlopo themselves on this. Is there a link to tlopo rulings on this forum?

Back