Discussion AFK Pirates on ships is becoming a real problem.

Should captains be able to kick pirates off their ship outside of SvS?

• Yes

Votes: 72 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 28.0%

• Total voters
When did I call them leeches...? I said that they were leeching... There is a difference between name-calling (EX:You're a leech!) and calling out an action (EX: You're leeching!)... And

I introduced nothing... and I am attempting nothing other than "calling you out" on your attitude...
Please stop with the redirect. This is about afk on a public ship intentionally done. I'm not taking the bait and this direction isn't trying to stay on point.
gl

Allowing kicking afk/sleepers would only benefit everyone in the game and impact the sleepers only, so they don't want that implemented. Obviously.

This doesn't benefit anyone. All the active players are gonna get the same loot with or without the sleepers. So this option would just be more pointless and frustrating than anything else. Imagine that you were on a cannon for a run that's been going for 15 minutes or so and the captains friend joins the ship and no cannons are available. Next thing you know, you were kicked off the ship so that friend can have your cannon. Wouldn't you be mad that you spent all that time just for nothing? This is whats gonna happen if this is implemented. Don't just think of the reason why its being implemented, think of what else can be done.

Add a checkbox that checks if pirates aboard are afk if the condition is met. They get booted.

Also add that an auto run in a specific direction gets you afk in an attempt to break outside the box of that one.

Okay, I had to make a direct comment to this logic. First, the dev's created a poker challenge where you die every 2 hands if not successful, what's the logic saying they didn't intend for you to die. See your illogical 'logic'. There's no need to implement any 'block' because you're supposed to be challenged and DIE. Bringing in a second account to keep you from dying when there is no game function to do so could then be considered gaming the system, or cheat - No?
Some people have a friend heal them playing poker, not a second account.

Some people have a friend heal them playing poker, not a second account.
And friends and guildies also heal in fights. It's regular game play and no special accounts are needed that's why it's okay even in a temp poker challenge because healing is within game parameters.
Going in alone, with no guild and no friends to heal you, you have to do the challenge and probably die like 10 times until success. That's playing the game the way the developers designed it.
Going in alone, and saying, gee I don't want to bother wasting my time going to jail so I think I'll fire up one of my many other personal accounts and play both of them so I can beat this stupid poker quest, because these quests are stupid and dumb and I'm special. That's playing outside the game.
I also have to remember I'm not always dealing with adults in the game or on this forum and younger people don't share an older persons logic or experience. So. I'm trying to get better at that.

And it's not a big issue until someone 'leeches' on a ship. I don't see this account thing having much direct effects except on ships in this situation.
I'm sure there's other exploits out there. Again the thread is about allowing kicking of afk on public ships. To do or not to do is the question.

gl

Granted this might be something that could be a chore to code but I am personally for the advanced inactivity timer and/or majority vote to kick.

If a pirate AFKs out for a while they ought to be disconnected altogether. It could probably help with server performance on top of the fact it may solve an issue. Another thing is if it were limited to ships, where afk auto kicks or disconnects, you have the completion of a repair mini game or you inflict damage a couple of times to clear the prospect of disconnect. It could bring benefit and merit a little bit for being AFK if they do it, and they lose out if they dont.

Majority vote kicking can be used for a variety of scenarios. Pirates chasing a nuisance and generally disrespectful can be removed. Yes we can report them, but why deal with their issues? It also keeps from the captain kicking everyone off the ship without valid reason.

Something else I'd be perfectly fine with-if nothing else-a fine system if the above two couldn't be accomplished. You report them and if staff find that multiple pirates reported them for something like AFKing the entire run just fine them, or perhaps this can be used for other cases. Of course, something like this would mean you'd want a decent amount of reports but with some I don't think that'd be such an issue.

My 2 cents on the matter. Personally, I haven't had AFK pirates issue, but I don't play nearly as much as I had previously.

I am against granting them the broad ability to kick crew off the ship without limitation.

Granted this might be something that could be a chore to code but I am personally for the advanced inactivity timer and/or majority vote to kick.

If a pirate AFKs out for a while they ought to be disconnected altogether. It could probably help with server performance on top of the fact it may solve an issue. Another thing is if it were limited to ships, where afk auto kicks or disconnects, you have the completion of a repair mini game or you inflict damage a couple of times to clear the prospect of disconnect. It could bring benefit and merit a little bit for being AFK if they do it, and they lose out if they dont.

Majority vote kicking can be used for a variety of scenarios. Pirates chasing a nuisance and generally disrespectful can be removed. Yes we can report them, but why deal with their issues? It also keeps from the captain kicking everyone off the ship without valid reason.

Something else I'd be perfectly fine with-if nothing else-a fine system if the above two couldn't be accomplished. You report them and if staff find that multiple pirates reported them for something like AFKing the entire run just fine them, or perhaps this can be used for other cases. Of course, something like this would mean you'd want a decent amount of reports but with some I don't think that'd be such an issue.

My 2 cents on the matter. Personally, I haven't had AFK pirates issue, but I don't play nearly as much as I had previously.

I am against granting them the broad ability to kick crew off the ship without limitation.
I couldn't agree more. Well said.

A lot being said here, so I hope I'm not retreading.

From the get-go, the spirit of most of Disney's MMO was TEAMWORK. They promoted working in groups, interacting with others, being social. That said, there's something about 'spirit of the game' vs. game limitations.

They wanted players to crew together to get bigger rewards, find better loot, defeat larger enemies. It's kind of a theme across many MMOs. Disney assumed their audience was younger, so they pushed the narrative of teamwork and crews and guilds so players could do those things easier.

The singular issue with AFK Ship Crew is they are taking up a space that could be used by an active player. Yes, not every gun port and repair station has to have someone, but if I have a ship with 12 spaces and half of them are freeloaders then no one else can TP. Guns and repairs sit idle. Yeah, your lifeless lump might net us a few more coins, but an unmanned gun or repair station could mean getting sunk. That's my singular gripe.

Best workaround to remove AFKs from your crew (if they ever joined), is port and relaunch. I also don't leave my ship public once I'm nearly fully crewed. I'm aware even a ship with 14 guns will usually only use half of them at once. Idle hands can end up AFK, but I see NO reason to report them.

If I had a Walk the Plank option to make room for an active gunner though... someone's swimmin'.

I agree with everything except broad ability comment. For one, I have to believe the game is intelligent or should be intelligent enough to know that the capt is identifying a AFK and not an active pirate. Perhaps the kick allowed to the capt is just for afk ONLY and the other kick options are by ship vote or whatever would involve more than the capt's self decision. Basically, kicking an active player regardless the reason needs more input in some way, kicking a afk is a one shot click. AFK is AFK, there is no shade there. When I was doing public runs, any pirate that mentioned they need to get ammo was allowed, but I told them within a reasonable time try to be back as I won't wait for them to port for the rest of the crew. I stopped public altogether when more than one pirate was afk from the start with no comments. And through this thread I learned why when I didn't even realize the technique was on purpose. I quit public capt only because it became a pain in the butt which I thought was a server issue.

Reporting this crap would be a bigger burden on you. I'd like to submit that tlopo work out some sort of proxy vote kicking for active players and a separate non voting one click kick solution that only a capt can do for afk. I doubt a troll capt is going to want to poll crew for votes to kick an active player. That's just too much work for a troll jerk to do.

So like:
Captain kick option
AFK ...X
Active player ... poll vote request and wait for results.
Or make it like a skill we have to earn maybe.

One thing I've wondered is, how long can you sleep on the beach before DC'd, if ever?
Also, can't the server tell where on the map one is sleeping? Such as at sea, or on Port Royal? Would it be possible to have an advance activity scan that can identify a player on a ship as opposed to PR or land and then allow a different DC timing?

I agree with everything except broad ability comment. For one, I have to believe the game is intelligent or should be intelligent enough to know that the capt is identifying a AFK and not an active pirate. Perhaps the kick allowed to the capt is just for afk ONLY and the other kick options are by ship vote or whatever would involve more than the capt's self decision. Basically, kicking an active player regardless the reason needs more input in some way, kicking a afk is a one shot click. AFK is AFK, there is no shade there. When I was doing public runs, any pirate that mentioned they need to get ammo was allowed, but I told them within a reasonable time try to be back as I won't wait for them to port for the rest of the crew. I stopped public altogether when more than one pirate was afk from the start with no comments. And through this thread I learned why when I didn't even realize the technique was on purpose. I quit public capt only because it became a pain in the butt which I thought was a server issue.

Reporting this crap would be a bigger burden on you. I'd like to submit that tlopo work out some sort of proxy vote kicking for active players and a separate non voting one click kick solution that only a capt can do for afk. I doubt a troll capt is going to want to poll crew for votes to kick an active player. That's just too much work for a troll jerk to do.

So like:
Captain kick option
AFK ...X
Active player ... poll vote request and wait for results.
Or make it like a skill we have to earn maybe.

Don't gate it behind a skill please. Maybe a quest or some such with this ability as a fixed reward.

Don't gate it behind a skill please. Maybe a quest or some such with this ability as a fixed reward.
Yes, looking at my suggestion again, I think you're absolutely right. It shouldn't be anything we have to attain. It should just be a option in the capt's page or box. If this was a heavy problem, maybe even add a record on that alt that will accumulate and that alt may have some administration action for too many marks. But that is extreme, probably for a more advance game where alts do more impact than just sleeping on a public ship. A simple one time option per any afk pirate per voyage.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that the poll of this thread is 70% for kicking afk and 30% against kicking?
Wonder if any Developers are reading this? Seems pretty cut and dried that the community perceives a akf problem and that something should be done about it. Like letting the ship owner kick pirates.
I'm sure the Dev's can come up a efficient and fair way of doing it. Something like this would never float in a finished larger game.

Maybe a kick for idle, but definitely not a manual kick from the captain. This can be very damaging if you spend all your time on one of these ships and get kick right before porting by a troller. A kick for idle or a system similar would be better, but if it came down to manual kick or no kick, I would rather have no kick.
I agree, but I think too much weight is being given on a speculative abuse by having the kick right. I'm not sure where people are getting the troll kicking before porting thing. I'm going to assume this is routine on svs/pvp play. I think in the PVE realm, there's really no benefit to kick anyone at the end, aside from what is more likely the rare troll pulling this off. I don't think anyone reports anyone or anything about pvp/svs play because it's just an excepted way of playing, whereas the PVE world could be more sensitive to this kind of treatment and report it more.

Add a checkbox that checks if pirates aboard are afk if the condition is met. They get booted.

Also add that an auto run in a specific direction gets you afk in an attempt to break outside the box of that one.
Auto run?..Thanks, I think I know what you're referring to when it comes from AFK. I just seen it, a player is running on your ship against a side or wall and going nowhere. So apparently 'r' is clicked before going to a different alt somewhere and leaves that alt on your ship in motion instead of sleeping. Very clever these kids.

Back