Discussion AFK players on ship thread is a joke

Is going AFK on a ship worthy of being banned? or being bullied?

• Total voters

BennyTB

Sea Legs
I am yet to see a more pointless thread on these forums. (and there is a thread that counts up to 100,000!) AFK players on ships are in no way harming your right to play the game the way it was intended to be played, they are not taking anything away from your loot when you land.

If you are having troubles with "leeches" turn your ship off public. That's a lot easier than starting forum posts, encouraging banning players from aspects of the game.

Problems with AFK players arise when you give them a hard time, most of them sit there in the peaceful silence. My question is, why give them a hard time? what are they doing to you? and if they are taking up a spot on the ship for someone else to come on, the answer is simple, make a crew and never toggle the public ship option. And if you say, well I need to make my ship public because I have no friends on the game, AFK players help you, as it makes it seem that your ship is 'popular' and more players will want to come aboard..... or join a guild, and become social in the game.

And if captain's have a problem with AFK players getting the loot after doing nothing, why is this a problem? Everyone on the ship receives loot, and it is not unfair. AFK players are in no way exploiting the game, as you need to spend time on the ship to get loot, this is very much a time sensitive game, good pirates are ones that spend the longest amount of time on the game...

AFK players are not looking for attention, most of them try to make themselves scarce - attention is brought to them when someone who thinks they deserve better calls them out, and calls it unfair. The problem starts when someone brings it up. The pirates that should be banned are the ones that call out these people as this is a form of bullying, even when they think they are doing the right thing.

And yes, I go AFK on ships (sometimes)...

Well, news flash, people who actually contribute to the ship instead of being lazy and useless do deserve better.
But these people aren't losing anything by someone being AFK... only wasting time of others by bringing up the fact someone is AFK

They are losing spots on their ship for other players that actually want to play the game. I find it amusing you call that thread pointless, yet you make this rather than just replying to it.
Don't make your ship public then. Why would I reply to a joke of a thread? Clearly I made this one to show my displeasure of what people are saying in there...

Don't make your ship public then. Why would I reply to a joke of a thread? Clearly I made this one to show my displeasure of what people are saying in there...
I feel like this thread is less sensible than the other, by a lot. I've already shared my reasons on why I don't believe in going AFK on a ship for the whole voyage to mooch, I really don't feel like going into it here too, I have no reason to. Please see other 2 threads if you'd like my side of the argument:)

wild idea: maybe have the option to kick afk players if it's been longer than 5 or so minutes of them not moving/being on a cannon? that way it's fairish to the people who have to leave unexpectly but aren't intentionally standing there doing nothing

Last edited:
wild idea: maybe have the option to ban players from being afk if it's been longer than 5 or so minutes of them not moving/being on a cannon? that way it's fairish to the people who have to leave unexpectly but aren't intentionally standing there doing nothing
did you even read anything in this thread?

I am yet to see a more pointless thread on these forums. (and there is a thread that counts up to 100,000!) AFK players on ships are in no way harming your right to play the game the way it was intended to be played, they are not taking anything away from your loot when you land.

If you are having troubles with "leeches" turn your ship off public. That's a lot easier than starting forum posts, encouraging banning players from aspects of the game.

Problems with AFK players arise when you give them a hard time, most of them sit there in the peaceful silence. My question is, why give them a hard time? what are they doing to you? and if they are taking up a spot on the ship for someone else to come on, the answer is simple, make a crew and never toggle the public ship option. And if you say, well I need to make my ship public because I have no friends on the game, AFK players help you, as it makes it seem that your ship is 'popular' and more players will want to come aboard..... or join a guild, and become social in the game.

And if captain's have a problem with AFK players getting the loot after doing nothing, why is this a problem? Everyone on the ship receives loot, and it is not unfair. AFK players are in no way exploiting the game, as you need to spend time on the ship to get loot, this is very much a time sensitive game, good pirates are ones that spend the longest amount of time on the game...

AFK players are not looking for attention, most of them try to make themselves scarce - attention is brought to them when someone who thinks they deserve better calls them out, and calls it unfair. The problem starts when someone brings it up. The pirates that should be banned are the ones that call out these people as this is a form of bullying, even when they think they are doing the right thing.

And yes, I go AFK on ships (sometimes)...
No disrespect intended but what utter nonsense your entire post is. You said perhaps the number one reason to boot akf and that was "" and if they are taking up a spot on the ship for someone else to come on, the answer is simple, make a crew and never toggle the public ship option."""
Sorry, you are a multi boxer using multiple accounts for whatever reason because no normal player ever argues in favor of multi accounts - ever.

You need to spend time on a ship to get loot? What incredibly lame logic is that? Purposely jumping on a public ship with an alt just to let them sleep is a completely self centered and greedy thing to do. There is absolutely no justifying anything you've stated in your post.

I must stop now because your misaligned and convoluted reasoning and justifications will make me say something I'll probably regret later.

Suffice to say, your entire post is without merit and resounds with unethical player strategy.

Last edited:
wild idea: maybe have the option to ban players from being afk if it's been longer than 5 or so minutes of them not moving/being on a cannon? that way it's fairish to the people who have to leave unexpectly but aren't intentionally standing there doing nothing
Why not just let captains kick? If you're an honest pirate instead of a someones bot afk, you will try and contact that capt and get back on crew.
I've done it untold many times. There's no justifiable reason to take up crew space if you aren't there in person. None, zilch, zippo. If you intentionally leave an alt sleeping on a ship you have absolutely no interest in camaraderie or fair play. It's only about you and your loot.

People don't like cheats, so we discuss it. Cheats don't like to be discussed so they call everything a joke.
Why not go to that thread and give your reasons for being a parasite. I'm sure someone will be willing to discuss with you.

A few posts have been cleaned up. Let this be a friendly reminder to keep discussion civil and free of finger-pointing.

Thanks for everyone's understanding.
I realize you need to do your job, and removed this from view, but I don't think it's a subject that should be hidden away. And yes. I'm also guilty of being abrasive, but some people need frank comments.

Thanks for all you do.

I realize you need to do your job, and removed this from view, but I don't think it's a subject that should be hidden away. And yes. I'm also guilty of being abrasive, but some people need frank comments.

Thanks for all you do.
The only pieces of this discussion that were removed broke our Naming and Shaming rule (i.e. calling a specific person out). Everything else was left intact. It's never our intent to censor any discussion, as long as it stays within our Terms of Service.

I hope this clarifies things.

The only pieces of this discussion that were removed broke our Naming and Shaming rule (i.e. calling a specific person out). Everything else was left intact. It's never our intent to censor any discussion, as long as it stays within our Terms of Service.

I hope this clarifies things.
Yes, and I think the refreshing with my system is wonky and or the thread was automatically moved when it reached a certain number or something. I found it under new posts at the time.
thx

But these people aren't losing anything by someone being AFK... only wasting time of others by bringing up the fact someone is AFK
This is like saying the guy who shows up to work and does nothing all day isn't hurting everyone else at the job. Yes they are - the fact that they're not doing anything means everyone else has to pick up the slack. Why should the guy who sits there watching Youtube videos all day get paid the same amount as the other 11 people that have to do their own jobs plus his?

It's the same for a ship. You're not contributing at all, and you're taking up a valuable position for someone who could be helping.

Plus there's the sheer principle of the thing; why should you benefit from the hard work of other people when you do nothing in return?

AFK players are not looking for attention, most of them try to make themselves scarce
If they're trying to hide, they know it's wrong.

This is like saying the guy who shows up to work and does nothing all day isn't hurting everyone else at the job. Yes they are - the fact that they're not doing anything means everyone else has to pick up the slack. Why should the guy who sits there watching Youtube videos all day get paid the same amount as the other 11 people that have to do their own jobs plus his?

It's the same for a ship. You're not contributing at all, and you're taking up a valuable position for someone who could be helping.

Plus there's the sheer principle of the thing; why should you benefit from the hard work of other people when you do nothing in return?

If they're trying to hide, they know it's wrong.
Exactly. I have a few multi account members only willing to discuss this in private. Why in private?
One of the funniest comments was "just port then and don't invite them back" What? Port to give them the loot they didn't work for... and you didn't invite them in the first place knowingly. They jumped on your ship. I've decided to just sink my ship whenever I spot a sleeper.

Back