Discussion AFK players on ship thread is a joke

Is going AFK on a ship worthy of being banned? or being bullied?

• Total voters
I've decided to just sink my ship whenever I spot a sleeper.
While you deciding to do that is fine, I have a gripe with people that suggest this as a solution. In too many situations that punishes the people that have contributed even more. If I have a few contributing members from the start, and then a while into the run I notice I've gained a bunch of AFK'ers, sinking the ship takes away everything the contributors have worked towards. No matter what option you choose, their existence is a detriment to the rest of the crew.

I dont see why its such a big deal. I get afkers every other run on abassa but you shouldnt let them ruin your fun yknow? Let them be boring and ruin their experience while you kick some navy butt with the mates who wanna enjoy the game as it was intended.

Afkers arent bothered by our gripes and probably laugh and get a kick out of us getting upset all the while still getting what they want in most cases. With a troll its a win/win. They get to be lazy and score loot and tick people off at the same time. Thats just more of a reason for me to leave it be and continue enjoying the game how i want to.

Getting mad at what others do on this game does nothing but ruin the fun for yourself and thats on you. We are choosing to let them ruin our fun by huffing and puffing at them napping on the job.

My solution for a good fun run is crewing up guild mates and halve the amount of people allowed on board altogether. Just enough to fill some cannons and for one to hop on the repair spot if needed.

I dont see why its such a big deal. I get afkers every other run on abassa but you shouldnt let them ruin your fun yknow? Let them be boring and ruin their experience while you kick some navy butt with the mates who wanna enjoy the game as it was intended.

Afkers arent bothered by our gripes and probably laugh and get a kick out of us getting upset all the while still getting what they want in most cases. With a troll its a win/win. They get to be lazy and score loot and tick people off at the same time. Thats just more of a reason for me to leave it be and continue enjoying the game how i want to.

Getting mad at what others do on this game does nothing but ruin the fun for yourself and thats on you. We are choosing to let them ruin our fun by huffing and puffing at them napping on the job.

My solution for a good fun run is crewing up guild mates and halve the amount of people allowed on board altogether. Just enough to fill some cannons and for one to hop on the repair spot if needed.
I've said it before, but the biggest problem with letting people be AFK on your ship is that it will make more people think it's okay to be AFK.

It's like someone littering. If just one or two people do it out of thousands it's not really a big deal - still shouldn't be doing it, but cleaning up after two people isn't so bad. But when nobody tells these two people it's wrong, they'll do it more often, then other people will notice those two people aren't getting any repercussions for it and they'll start doing it too. Over time more and more people are doing it, and it becomes a serious issue.

This is the biggest reason I take a stand against AFK'ing on ships. Yeah I don't really care if there's one or two people doing it occasionally, I can happily ignore that. Especially if they were active before but had to go AFK because of reality. But when I look at my ship and there's six people standing there doing nothing the whole time? That's not okay. And the longer we put off implementing some kind of repercussion for it, the more people are going to do it.

You make some valid points as well as Sky Kiwi. Your points and hers just about justifies letting captains kick individual afk'rs. I was talking about if it's just myself and a sleeper. I'm aware other legit crew would get penalized and should have been clearer. So, no I wouldn't sink with real crew.

But being able to kick afk/sleepers themselves could be a solution. Again, abuse happens, but I see no benefit for a captain to kick viable crew even if they think they didn't repair for the 10th time. And to allow kicking, there should be a report system in place to report captain abuse, if there would be any.

Interestingly, the ONLY people against kicking afk/sleepers are the people who do it. As been seen in the forums with the defense of multi accounts.

Interestingly, the ONLY people against kicking afk/sleepers are the people who do it.
Interesting... explain how you found that tidbit out... I'm for kicking AFKers, but having ONLY the people against it say no... seems a bit odd... I'm sure the devs don't afk on ships, and they appear to be against it...

Interesting... explain how you found that tidbit out... I'm for kicking AFKers, but having ONLY the people against it say no... seems a bit odd... I'm sure the devs don't afk on ships, and they appear to be against it...

It's just the usual "my way or the highway" mentality with a lot of folks. If we disagree then we're part of the problem. It's just like the trading thread. If we disagree about trading then we are wrong in every way, shape and form.

It's just the usual "my way or the highway" mentality with a lot of folks. If we disagree then we're part of the problem. It's just like the trading thread. If we disagree about trading then we are wrong in every way, shape and form.
looks like youve been getting attacked as well for having a different opinion.

like the thing is, potco was released on 2007. shut down much later after. there wasn't a problem about afk on ship then, and then everyone jumps on the huge bandwagon of a problem that shouldn't be of concern. right now, people assume and act as if afk on ship is like a game-breaking bug. i get that they're frustrated, but there's no reason to talk smack because some people are more lenient, or don't wholeheartedly agree with the idea.

looks like youve been getting attacked as well for having a different opinion.

like the thing is, potco was released on 2007. shut down much later after. there wasn't a problem about afk on ship then, and then everyone jumps on the huge bandwagon of a problem that shouldn't be of concern. right now, people assume and act as if afk on ship is like a game-breaking bug. i get that they're frustrated, but there's no reason to talk smack because some people are more lenient, or don't wholeheartedly agree with the idea.

It happens on a more regular basis and it's often the same people who do it.

What could work is that your contribution is weighed depending on how much you do on the ship in terms of damage or repair. So you can't get rewards when going afk. Also some descrepancy for the type of damage you inflict so you can't cheat that system by using explosives.

Personally, I dislike afkers, a lot. Namely for some of the reasons already mentioned; them wasting a crew space, them not actually playing the game, etc.
I honestly do believe that being able to boot someone off your own ship is quite preferable. With restrictions to prevent abuse of course, like a 2/3 vote requirement or the ability to report abuse, or if all else fails, make some way that active participation is rewarded while active laziness is punished.

Also as a side note: my preferred method of removing parasites is with flagships, letting the afker(s) get sent to jail by the crew and then getting the loot from the ship after finishing the enemy crew!

Personally, I dislike afkers, a lot. Namely for some of the reasons already mentioned; them wasting a crew space, them not actually playing the game, etc.
I honestly do believe that being able to boot someone off your own ship is quite preferable. With restrictions to prevent abuse of course, like a 2/3 vote requirement or the ability to report abuse, or if all else fails, make some way that active participation is rewarded while active laziness is punished.

Also as a side note: my preferred method of removing parasites is with flagships, letting the afker(s) get sent to jail by the crew and then getting the loot from the ship after finishing the enemy crew!

Afk checkbox that scans for afk people could work too.

The thing is, they ARE harming me by going AFK on my ship. What if the ship is badly damaged? Those AFK players aren't going to be around to repair it, and I won't be able to just stop my ship and repair because then we'd get sunk by the bounty hunters.

If you're going to go AFK on my ship, you are expected to at least repair when the time comes.

It happens on a more regular basis and it's often the same people who do it.

What could work is that your contribution is weighed depending on how much you do on the ship in terms of damage or repair. So you can't get rewards when going afk. Also some descrepancy for the type of damage you inflict so you can't cheat that system by using explosives.

Reward the loot based on activity. You repair, you fire the cannon, you get more treasure. Your AFK, you don't get much.

Afk checkbox that scans for afk people could work too.
the problem with all this is that it is targeting a specific type of run for one specific server for that specific population size. by implementing any of these, a complicated problem that you all experience become an even further complicated issue, or lets say it 'overcomplicates or aggravates' the issue instead.

the easiest option so far would be hernandez with an option to [✓] AFK. (last quote)
checking player activity tick by tick to a certain time limit is understandable and is a toggle-option. this will have minimal interference with every other type of run should the captain feel the need to. the others, i shouldn't have to explain because i believe i've made it obvious by stating it in my very first sentence.

What does hernandez mean? I see, you just want to allow the captain to check a box, and if you go AFK, you are kicked off?
the truth is that if you don't tick public [✓], there wouldn't be a problem to begin with. however, everyone is complaining about afk on ship, and would rather have some intricate system that they want implemented to cause detriment to other playstyles built around sailing.

your post is rhetorical. i'm pretty sure you knew what i meant, thus making this post unnecessary or illogical to be considered a post. i'm all for hearing your idea if you have any, and i'd be glad if you argued or agreed about a certain point i or the other posters made, but this post doesn't do either. it's criticism that is directed at the person (me, in this case) with no outstanding point to explain the idea behind it.

don't see this as an attack. your post just doesn't make sense, thus making it difficult and rather insulting for me to try to explain everything i've already explained, stated, or have made obvious (emphasis on rhetorical). if it did, i apologize in advance, but i shouldn't have to reply like this.

The thing is, they ARE harming me by going AFK on my ship. What if the ship is badly damaged? Those AFK players aren't going to be around to repair it, and I won't be able to just stop my ship and repair because then we'd get sunk by the bounty hunters.

If you're going to go AFK on my ship, you are expected to at least repair when the time comes.

This is what I do. I thoroughly enjoy the game; I enjoy talking with my friends, being online as an Officer in my guild, and finding good loot/filling my gold to capacity. However, I'm a college student. I'm ALWAYS working! I'm either in class, doing homework, or taking a well deserved NAP. When I'm working at my computer though, I will check back on the ship I'm "sleeping" on every five minutes or and see if they need help with repairs, or shooting some bad-guy ships to oblivion.

I also make a habit of asking the captain of the ship if they'd mind me being "mostly afk" for the run. "Hey Captain, I'm really busy with homework right now, but I'll repair and shoot if I see y'all need it. Do you mind?"

If they don't mind, we're golden. If they do mind, I hop off the ship. Most of the times that I hop off the ship, I go back to my work and forget entirely that I'm logged in. Oh no, now I'm afk in the swampy Cuban waters! Agh!

The way I see it, it's really a harmless action if the Captain has allowed it. People could be in any situation. A parent with a toddler who won't let them have any free time at all still deserves to find the loot that makes them happy! Just tell the person in charge that you could get pulled away at any moment.

the problem with all this is that it is targeting a specific type of run for one specific server for that specific population size. by implementing any of these, a complicated problem that you all experience become an even further complicated issue, or lets say it 'overcomplicates or aggravates' the issue instead.
I'm not quite grasping your concept about targeting anything specific. It seems to me the server, population or run has no bearing on random joining a public ship. It's your alt on that ship, no matter what time or place in the world. The alt is joining that ship in it's own space and what one ship does I don't think effects more than it's own client build and normal objectives and player inputs. The implementation would be server wide, but perhaps client stored in your players profile. Much like all your attributes are now. It's just another attribute allowing a player to invoke an action.
I don't think kicking a sleeping player off a ship effects anyone else on that ship or vicinity. I think your ship could be thought of like your own little server and what you can do within the scope of that sphere. When you launch, you are just branching off to another set of code, but it's easier for most people to think spatially. We don't really need or want to know what line in the execution of my button mashing is up.

So, I'm sorry but I don't see the problem with coding something like this in and I for sure haven't understood your theory of a problem.
I just don't think there's a strong enough argument against allowing capt's to kick specifically sleepers off their ships. From a players standpoint or a coder.

He was asking a question and not being confrontational. I had no idea what you were talking about either.

And your comment below is a spacious and evasive comment with no merit or common logic. The analogy would be if you don't drive you won't get a ticket. Did you say afk was a problem?
And there isn't anything intricate about a simple kick code. It's not about programming, it's about personalities. And if you want to quote the truth, I would say the detriment of kicking a sleeper would be to the sleeper and no one else.
What and how one plays with or without their extra accounts in the greater game doesn't concern me unless it had a direct impact on my personal game. I don't do PVP where this type of conduct is normal, so by and large none of this effects me except on my ship. A play style that takes up other peoples space, sinks ships while they laugh and walks away with loot and rep or whatever else doing absolutely nothing but sleeping while they probably play 3 other accounts is a play style I certainly wouldn't expose to younger players and no ones going to seriously tell people that Disney and tlopo condone it. Condone means it's okay.

the truth is that if you don't tick public [✓], there wouldn't be a problem to begin with. however, everyone is complaining about afk on ship, and would rather have some intricate system that they want implemented to cause detriment to other playstyles built around sailin

Last edited:
Back