Discussion AFK players on ship thread is a joke

Is going AFK on a ship worthy of being banned? or being bullied?

• Total voters
This is what I do. I thoroughly enjoy the game; I enjoy talking with my friends, being online as an Officer in my guild, and finding good loot/filling my gold to capacity. However, I'm a college student. I'm ALWAYS working! I'm either in class, doing homework, or taking a well deserved NAP. When I'm working at my computer though, I will check back on the ship I'm "sleeping" on every five minutes or and see if they need help with repairs, or shooting some bad-guy ships to oblivion.

I also make a habit of asking the captain of the ship if they'd mind me being "mostly afk" for the run. "Hey Captain, I'm really busy with homework right now, but I'll repair and shoot if I see y'all need it. Do you mind?"

If they don't mind, we're golden. If they do mind, I hop off the ship. Most of the times that I hop off the ship, I go back to my work and forget entirely that I'm logged in. Oh no, now I'm afk in the swampy Cuban waters! Agh!

The way I see it, it's really a harmless action if the Captain has allowed it. People could be in any situation. A parent with a toddler who won't let them have any free time at all still deserves to find the loot that makes them happy! Just tell the person in charge that you could get pulled away at any moment.
That seems fair. But your style probably should stick to pirates that know you. I can't think of a single reason to let a stranger come on, say I'm going to be away for a while, mind if I sleep on your ship? That's nice if they let you, but it does absolutely nothing for the captain.
Goes back to what I've said before, why even jump on knowing you're busy. It doesn't jibe. What are you expecting to gain with this technique?
If you knew the capt can kick AFK, would you still just jump ships and check back every 5 minutes?
And we've all been up to our necks off Cuba. A lot.

Edited for spelling and grammar. I'm getting dyslectic.

Last edited:
I voted no, no one should be bullied and though I think it is rude to go AFK while crewing I don't feel it is a ban worthy offense. I am in the camp of letting the captain kick unwanted crew. I've heard the claims that such a power would be abused but I strongly disagree with those arguments: anyone who kicks hard working crew would soon find that only newbies will crew for them and it won't be a problem for long. I really think the captain should be able to decide who stays and who goes. Only trolls would kick hard working crew and I think evidence of multiple such events should be enough to ban such people. Some captains don't mind AFK crew and that is fine. I think that if you are wanting to go AFK on someones ship you should ask before you do it.

I support the naming and shaming of those who afk on public ships for easy and free loot. Unless the captain does not care, its there ship, there rules.

Interesting... explain how you found that tidbit out... I'm for kicking AFKers, but having ONLY the people against it say no... seems a bit odd... I'm sure the devs don't afk on ships, and they appear to be against it...
Read the thread, everyone with a pro multi account has said they do it. Nothing mysterious about the observation nor do I have to make anything up to substantiate my comment.

I support the naming and shaming of those who afk on public ships for easy and free loot. Unless the captain does not care, its there ship, there rules.
I support the right for the capt to kick afk for any reason, but I don't support making an example or shaming the player as that is counter productive to the community to me. Just kick the afk. It's enough if the kick removes any loot they may have attained by joining. It really shouldn't be looked at as a punishment, but a control given the owner of the ship. If the same afk'r shows up, then just do a game complaint.

We just want to kick a pylon being disruptive to our ship and crew, not make a case out of it. If they don't get loot, then that's 'punishment' enough for me. If they still get loot, big deal, at least I got them off my ship so real crew members can play.

Good luck on getting booted by a troller right before porting
So be it. I'll take that chance. That conduct is on every single multiplayer out there, tlopo isn't going to change that or be any different.
Compared to how many times servers crash now in beta I wouldn't even be able to tell if that was happening.

I don’t think you see how damaging this can be for other players even if you couldn’t care less. Robbing people of their loot is much worse than getting some gold and mats by afking for 5 minutes. If you really care about having 1 less ship slot on a run because of an afker I can’t help you, unless you don’t care about the slot but care that he is getting little loot for doing nothing.
I see where you're coming from, but we don't know it will even be possible to abuse such a kick if put in game. And a purposeful AFK'r is stealing from that public ship and other players when he takes loot that should have gone to an active player and I have to believe even capt's that don't care who is afk but if a capt doesn't make a pirate crew who is going to pull the sleeper routine BEFORE they go asleep, then the capt loses the opportunity to have a fuller crew for the extra loot for himself because you can not make a AFK'r a crew unless the player clicks on the invite.

And if that player is actually going to click the invite will AFK, I don't know if that even works. Saying that somehow there will be abuse in the future with something that hasn't happened yet doesn't seem like a supportable argument yet. It's for sure something to watch for if anything kick wise happens. But the troll argument to me isn't strong enough at this point to be considered a reason for no kicking defense.

gl

not even going to bother explaining. i just can't deal with ignorance, and it's such a huge pet peeve of mine to try to explain to someone who inherently doesn't care nor think about my opinion in the first place.

This reminds me of people who pay to have their characters worked up by people in China in other games. I guess in the old days, you had to pay for the account, so there was much less of this problem?

can a mod please lock this topic? it really is not giving anything to improve the overall game its just here to bash on someone

can a mod please lock this topic? it really is not giving anything to improve the overall game its just here to bash on someone
Who is being bashed on? This actually seems like a very reasonable conversation between the people who are manipulating the rules and the people who they have saddled to do the work. Maybe the rules should stay as they are, maybe they should be modified? I have learned a lot about what is going on.

Who is being bashed on? This actually seems like a very reasonable conversation between the people who are manipulating the rules and the people who they have saddled to do the work. Maybe the rules should stay as they are, maybe they should be modified? I have learned a lot about what is going on.
it is calling the thread on afk players is a joke, so it is saying that the maker of that thread is a joke, also by the title it is really not helping the game overall

it is calling the thread on afk players is a joke, so it is saying that the maker of that thread is a joke, also by the title it is really not helping the game overall
There was another thread that was serious about stopping in the AFK cheating, this is one of the multi-account player's replies. Again, this thread taught me a lot about what his happening in the game and why.

There was another thread that was serious about stopping in the AFK cheating, this is one of the multi-account player's replies. Again, this thread taught me a lot about what his happening in the game and why.
he could of replyed to that topic and not create a new one

Actually, the thread seems to have been started, well I'm not going to say because that would be calling out. But, I agree with you the thread itself should be closed as even the poll was meant as an irritant and to aggravate people who spoke out against multi-account players.
There is at least 2 other threads that are active and civil about this subject right now and this one stands as a agitator to all.

It should be closed to posting and we can continue of threads that are open and active on this subject.

And that's where we should go, this one should be justifiably closed. You are correct as well, I'm learning a lot from the other threads.

Back