All your best stories from POTCO!

Bort Greasegorb

Pirate Lord
I decided I'd revive a bit of our POTCO love by making a new thread dedicated to any POTCO story you'd like to tell! It can be about sailing, looting, exploring or any activity that was possible in Pirates Online! I'll start with a small and funny one:
While walking around Port Royal in my early days of being level 50, I stumbled upon a crab in the Port Royal city. After this encounter, it became a hobby for me to hit crabs with a small-hitting attack, bring them into the city and then disengage the combat by going into a house. Then, other people could get the same surprise I did.

Ill start off by saying, POTCO was my first MMO. So I was about level 8 or 10 and I decided I wanted to explore a bit. So I launched my Light Galleon from Tortuga and set sail to the coolest looking place I could see, Padres Del Fuego, because volcanoes are cool right? So on the way there I saw the skeleton ships around Isla Cangrejos and Cutthroat Isle and I thought it was Jolly Rogger so I was deathly scared and sailed around them. I finally got to Padres and I ran around a bit and all I saw was high level pirates, probably 20-30 which was high to me. I thought that it was a high level area that I wasn't suppose to go to, so I proceeded to teleporting back to Tortuga. :facepalm:

Ill start off by saying, POTCO was my first MMO. So I was about level 8 or 10 and I decided I wanted to explore a bit. So I launched my Light Galleon from Tortuga and set sail to the coolest looking place I could see, Padres Del Fuego, because volcanoes are cool right? So on the way there I saw the skeleton ships around Isla Cangrejos and Cutthroat Isle and I thought it was Jolly Rogger so I was deathly scared and sailed around them. I finally got to Padres and I ran around a bit and all I saw was high level pirates, probably 20-30 which was high to me. I thought that it was a high level area that I wasn't suppose to go to, so I proceeded to teleporting back to Tortuga. :facepalm:
I had a story similar to that. In 2008, I had another pirate who I played on for a short time before getting into another game. Around level 20, I discovered Outcast Isle and the stumps for the first time and thought that they could instantly take me out in one blow. About my travels as Bort Greasegorb? Well...
screenshot_2013-09-17_07-22-39.jpg
I think this says enough.

There was this one time when I was playing POTCO (as a 'noob' player) when this pirate I had met kept telling everyone around him (including myself) that Disney was about to bring the Kraken online to the game. He went on to explain that the Kraken would actually make brief, unannounced appearances to those players whom happen to be in the right place at the right time...lol...and I fell for this!:facepalm:

So throughout the entirety of that day, myself, this pirate, and a few others went "looking" for the Kraken and all I remember is during those moments of sailing or walking upon the beaches of the Wild Islands, this player kept saying
..."THERE IT IS! Look - it's right there; didn't you see it? Awww, you missed it!"
Looking back on that experience now, I was such an idiot! :duh:

tricky_piratesofthestupidseas_image1.png

There was this one time when I was playing POTCO (as a 'noob' player) when this pirate I had met kept telling everyone around him (including myself) that Disney was about to bring the Kraken online to the game. He went on to explain that the Kraken would actually make brief, unannounced appearances to those players whom happen to be in the right place at the right time...lol...and I fell for this!:facepalm:

So throughout the entirety of that day, myself, this pirate, and a few others went "looking" for the Kraken and all I remember is during those moments of sailing or walking upon the beaches of the Wild Islands, this player kept saying
..."THERE IT IS! Look - it's right there; didn't you see it? Awww, you missed it!"

This happened to me also. I was skeptical, but decided to go help them look. :rolleyes:

Same thing happened to me with the Pharaoh's Judgement (EITC Giveaway Legendary Sword) hoax. I was getting frustrated because I was bent on getting every legend, too. Ah, how silly we were. But hey, when POTCO does come back, we'll learn from our mistakes!

Might as well add another funny coincidence. When I was in my first weeks of being a level 50, I was still inexperienced and a bit of a hog. My spot in looting was always heading to the "Shipwreck room" on the Savica server. However, I commonly noticed another person going around the Savica Shipwreck room and I would tend to compete with her over the loot, which commonly ended with me having to move. Not only that, but this other Shipwrecker happened to be a founder! Not just any founder, though. I later found out more about her and regretted loot-stealing. Who was it?
Our very own Captain Star.

"Shipwreck room" on the Savica server.
Shipwreck room? (fumbling through the recesses of my mind 'trying' to remember of such a place). Do you mean the area within Tormenta where a bunch of Mollusks were all gathered and just opposite the direction of the "bridge?" :confused:

Shipwreck room? (fumbling through the recesses of my mind 'trying' to remember of such a place). Do you mean the area within Tormenta where a bunch of Mollusks were all gathered and just opposite the direction of the "bridge?" :confused:
I believe that's it! I have a nice screenshot of the room here.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...ages/6/62/Cabal_Doll_(Tormenta_Shipwreck).jpg
However, as to not derail this thread, I'm going to kill two birds with one stone by telling the story behind this screen.
Once again, this was back in my early 50 days. For that matter, I was hardly a two-week old level 50 by this time. After obtaining my "amazing" Seven Seas Cutlass at level 49, I was getting no famed weapons. It wasn't until a small talk with a higher-ranked member of my guild and a ten-day streak of dryness that I found this. I was ecstatic about it!
...The novelty wore off when I got it four more times before the game closed.

Before I get started, I want to talk about my history with POTCO. POTCO wasn't actually my first MMO. My first MMO was Star Wars - Clone Wars Adventures. I played the game back in it's early days when it wasn't very entertaining. I had heard of POTCO from Disney Channel and I had watched my older sister play the game a little bit. I really wanted to play it but I forgot about it until 2011, the year when I really got into Pirates of the Caribbean. I binge-played the game a lot, and then I got bored of it and never played it again. In late 2013, I had started playing CWA again (which had improved greatly), so I wondered how POTCO had changed. I felt the urge to play POTCO again. I looked up the game on my new laptop and discovered the game got cancelled! I was heartbroken, furious, and so nostalgic! Then I heard about Pirates Online Rewritten in summer last year, and I jumped for joy. To this day I am still anticipating another remake (now known as TLoPO) and can't wait to relive my pirate memories! These are two of my favorite POTCO memories:
The Kingshead infiltration attempts is one of my favorite memories. I never had Unlimited Access when I played POTCO, so my weapons were... Meh. So to show off pirate toughness, I attempted to reach the top of Kingshead!... and failed. Another memory is of the glitch in the Cave of Lost Souls I like to call the "Davy Jones Locker Glitch"! It's basically just a glitch where you end up in this brownish mist. It was cool at the time. So yeah this is my POTCO story! :arrrrr:

I have another story. One time I was part of a crew that committed mutiny. The ship docked at an island, and we got back on it and left that captain there! :shark: ..... I may be a bad person.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any story regarding the Undead pvp glitch!
I remember the first time I heard about this I was dead-bent on participating in all the fun, so one day I decided to stalk a player until he taught me how to do the pvp glitch to fight others on OLD tortuga... (probably for like 3 hours until the guy told me haha) That is always something that I will remember from POTCO... Does anyone remember going on the hill (because of a glitch) on old tortuga???soooo much fun!!

As a noob in my light sloop sailing around a high level flagship just ducking and weaving until I got it down, not knowing why I had to grapple it I did as it said and followed the instructions, then I got destroyed by their crew...

Back