Guide Beta Key 101

Bobby Flat Foot

Pirate Lord
"What are Beta Keys?"
A beta key is a 16 character code that will allow you to play TLOPO without having to reserve a time slot. The 16 characters of the key will be made up of a random selection of letters A-F and numbers 0-9. The key will be separated into 4 sections as shown below.

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

"How do I get a Beta Key?"

1. Beta keys may be awarded through contests. Any information regarding contests will be on the TLOPO website.

2. Beta keys could be given away though TLOPO's social media, or right here on the forums!

"How do I use my Beta Key?"
  • First, sail over to the TLOPO website and login.
  • Once you're logged in you'll want to view your account information.
  • There will be two spaces regarding keys:
  1. The first space simply tells whether or not there is a key added to your account.
  2. The second space is where you will enter your beta key & add it to your account.
s7MB1PC.png
  • Once that "No" is changed to "Yes," you will be able to play TLOPO without time slots!
"Why do I need a Beta Key to play TLOPO whenever I want?"
TLOPO is currently in a very early stage of development. Limiting the number of players allowed in the game helps the development team to more accurately do their work. If everyone was allowed unrestricted access to the game it could create issues that would only slow down this whole process. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does it say my beta key is invalid?
A: The beta key has already been used by someone else.

Q: Can more than one person use a beta key?
A: No, only one person can use a beta key.

Q: Can I get a key for my friend/family member?
A: Yes, one or two is fine but please do not hoard keys. While not against the rules, it is considered rude.

Q: Can I buy a beta key?
A: No. Anyone offering beta keys in exchange for money, or other forms of payment, should not be trusted.

Q: Is there a set date for beta to become open (key-less)?
A: No. Any information regarding the opening of beta will be posted on the TLOPO website.

Q: Will I lose my key once beta begins?
A: No. All accounts accredited with a key will retain unrestricted access for as long as the key system is in place.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Suggestions for this post are welcome as well.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
For those of you wondering how to get into the IRC mentioned in the post, go to the link below:
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.gamesurge.net/tlopo

Keep in mind you may have to register a GameSurge account before entering the IRC.

What is an IRC? It stands for Internet Relay Chat. It's a type of process that allows users to communicate via text in real-time, much like these forums. However, unlike the forums, it is, as I mentioned before, a real-time text-chat service. Before entering the chat, remember to read the rules: http://pastebin.com/Phm0jeHK

Oh, one more thing: in IRC when someone asks about keys you can type "!keys" or "!faq" and the bot will tell them the basics of what they should know. (Provided that option hasn't been removed.. haven't been in the irc in a while :oops: )

Thank you for this! I got one last night but I was honestly surprised at how much begging went on by others to get one. I am extremely excited to get into the game and help, as much as the next person! But, wow. o_o

I was playing on the MineCraft POTCO server, I went to the buycraft website and it says you can buy an alpha key. I'm not sure if that is allowed but please check it out.

I was playing on the MineCraft POTCO server, I went to the buycraft website and it says you can buy an alpha key. I'm not sure if that is allowed but please check it out.
It is a scam. I cannot stress enough that you should not purchase an alpha key from that site, let alone anywhere. This article is very helpful on explanations. https://piratesforums.co/threads/community-warning-Deleted member 4172-wright.10924/

The easiest way to receive an alpha key is directly through the IRC Chat. They are randomly dropped. This page will explain all you need to know regarding signing up, logging in, how Alpha Keys work, etc.

I wish you luck!

So, you can't trust people who try and buy the Alpha Keys. If you think about it, anyone can sign up for the forums and randomly get a key. And I emphasize on ANYONE. Isn't that risky too? (Not trying to sound rude or be rude to anyone.) Just saying.

So, you can't trust people who try and buy the Alpha Keys. If you think about it, anyone can sign up for the forums and randomly get a key. And I emphasize on ANYONE. Isn't that risky too? (Not trying to sound rude or be rude to anyone.) Just saying.
Well, trying to buy a key from that POTCO:MC site won't get you a key. It's just to scam you out of $35 or $36, however much it costs.

Back