Blog Post AN ONYX CURSE

Absolutely awesome! Anyone who doesn't think so is just not a sabre fan and doesn't understand what this is and what it can do.
The reason people are complaining is because it does not have the stats a legendary should. This could be a famed, not a legendary . Compare it with the barracuda, Blightfang, Hull Ripper, Tyrant blade, Kraken Bane. All these blades are much much easier to get than the onyx curse and are all better much better imo. At the moment it's just not worth spending hours of your time looting for the onyx curse when you can easily get a famed cursed that is better.

The reason people are complaining is because it does not have the stats a legendary should. This could be a famed, not a legendary . Compare it with the barracuda, Blightfang, Hull Ripper, Tyrant blade, Kraken Bane. All these blades are much much easier to get than the onyx curse and are all better much better imo. At the moment it's just not worth spending hours of your time looting for the onyx curse when you can easily get a famed cursed that is better.
You have totally missed the point: The Onyx Curse is a sabre but you and everyone else are comparing it to broadswords. It should be compared with it's brother, The Emerald Curse. Given the speed of sabres I would have to guess that The Black Onyx would also compare very favorably to the Thunderspine in total dps and additionally have better defense with it's perry boost. The stun immunity is also a great addition to it's dps as there will be no drop due to being stunned. I would like this sword more than any known sword in the game. Granted it is not as powerful as most famed broadswords owing to their ability to take on multiple enemies but as a 1 on 1 sword it would be very hard to beat maybe even take out a WEB swinger. I simply have to disagree with all these posts saying it doesn't have good stats, for starters it is the highest attack sabre known but it doesn't stop there.

You have totally missed the point: The Onyx Curse is a sabre but you and everyone else are comparing it to broadswords. It should be compared with it's brother, The Emerald Curse. Given the speed of sabres I would have to guess that The Black Onyx would also compare very favorably to the Thunderspine in total dps and additionally have better defense with it's perry boost. The stun immunity is also a great addition to it's dps as there will be no drop due to being stunned. I would like this sword more than any known sword in the game. Granted it is not as powerful as most famed broadswords owing to their ability to take on multiple enemies but as a 1 on 1 sword it would be very hard to beat maybe even take out a WEB swinger. I simply have to disagree with all these posts saying it doesn't have good stats, for starters it is the highest attack sabre known but it doesn't stop there.
Although my opinion on the onyx curse remains unchanged, I recognize you raised a good point. Comparing a sabre to a broadsword is unfair as they function in different ways.

Although my opinion on the onyx curse remains unchanged, I recognize you raised a good point. Comparing a sabre to a broadsword is unfair as they function in different ways.
I think most people have failed to realize that sabers hit more times per combo than broadswords or cutlasses and so do more damage and give more rep than broadswords or cutlasses with equal attack specs. There is a good reason why Disney had the highest attack sabre at 60 and its cutlass counterparts are attack 80. They are simply more powerful than their attack specs suggest.

''The Onyx Curse'' this legendary weapon did got my, attention because the details and the design are amazing! and I think this is exquisite weapon that every pirate must have in their collection!

it should be better then emerald its not thats a scam to loot for something this rare and get something that isnt of top quality
I disagree on both of your points: 1) For a sword to be classed as legendary it does not need to be the most powerful of it's type. 2) This sword certainly is top quality.

When I look at the stats I think it is very comparable to the Emerald Curse, maybe even better depending on what you are doing with it, and can't understand why so many people think it is not as good as it ought to be. It's higher attack than the Emerald Curse and it has stun resistance which adds further to it's attack when compared to the Emerald Curse. Hurricane Slash charges faster than Shock Sweep and so I really value the Hurricane Slash more even though it is less unique. The Parry being 1 less gives it a slight weakness in comparison to the Emerald Curse in that regard but certainly not so much that it is clearly weaker than the Emerald Cures. The Voodoo Damage is great on the Emerald Curse and so it is clearly superior for fighting voodoo wielding enemies.

I believe that The Onyx Curse is in fact superior to the Emerald Curse in all situations except vs voodoo wielding enemies. So what the heck is everyone talking about? I really think most complaints are from people that do not like sabres and only want broadswords to be legendary which would be fine except there are many of us in the minority that love the 1 on 1 swords and want them to keep pace with broadswords in the game development. I think this sword is in fact likely to be the highest damage 1 on 1 sword in the game, maybe even higher than the legendary broadswords, is that not legendary? I'm stunned to see so many voice their disapproval over something that is in fact fabulous and very carefully crafted to be exactly what the game needs, a sword that is arguably, but not absolutely certainly, the best of it's type. We do not need attack 1000 broadswords with 15 criticals and 15 life drain.

I disagree on both of your points: 1) For a sword to be classed as legendary it does not need to be the most powerful of it's type. 2) This sword certainly is top quality.

When I look at the stats I think it is very comparable to the Emerald Curse, maybe even better depending on what you are doing with it, and can't understand why so many people think it is not as good as it ought to be. It's higher attack than the Emerald Curse and it has stun resistance which adds further to it's attack when compared to the Emerald Curse. Hurricane Slash charges faster than Shock Sweep and so I really value the Hurricane Slash more even though it is less unique. The Parry being 1 less gives it a slight weakness in comparison to the Emerald Curse in that regard but certainly not so much that it is clearly weaker than the Emerald Cures. The Voodoo Damage is great on the Emerald Curse and so it is clearly superior for fighting voodoo wielding enemies.

I believe that The Onyx Curse is in fact superior to the Emerald Curse in all situations except vs voodoo wielding enemies. So what the heck is everyone talking about? I really think most complaints are from people that do not like sabres and only want broadswords to be legendary which would be fine except there are many of us in the minority that love the 1 on 1 swords and want them to keep pace with broadswords in the game development. I think this sword is in fact likely to be the highest damage 1 on 1 sword in the game, maybe even higher than the legendary broadswords, is that not legendary? I'm stunned to see so many voice their disapproval over something that is in fact fabulous and very carefully crafted to be exactly what the game needs, a sword that is arguably, but not absolutely certainly, the best of it's type. We do not need attack 1000 broadswords with 15 criticals and 15 life drain.
Yes, in any other circumstance this would be a decent legendary sword, but the fact that you can only get if from a single boss (and no other boss or enemy) means it should at least have some very good stat to differentiate it from standard legendaries, which are much easier to attain.

But really, it’s all up to what one personally finds redeeming in a weapon. IMO, this sword is lacking.

Yes, in any other circumstance this would be a decent legendary sword, but the fact that you can only get if from a single boss (and no other boss or enemy) means it should at least have some very good stat to differentiate it from standard legendaries, which are much easier to attain.

But really, it’s all up to what one personally finds redeeming in a weapon. IMO, this sword is lacking.
Agreed.

One big thing that I think a lot of people are overlooking, Stuns by enemies in this game are almost inconsequential once you pass level 40. Enemies have no real attack pattern and due to that stuns from enemies are easy to avoid and far and few between. Stun immunity on its own isn't something that I think should be the primary skill on a legendary weapon unless they buff enemy stuns significantly and make it worth it. The parry boost is a nice addition as parry is a very useful skill to negate damage. However on a saber hurricane slash is feels very out of place.

All in all this weapon is by no means bad, but it isn't on the level a legendary should be nor does it have the unique feel a Legendary Cursed weapon should have

I think the developers have totally nailed it with the new legendaries. What the game needs is for new legendaries to be similar in power to existing ones but more specialized thus setting them apart from the old ones. They should be better at some things and worse at others, this will make each the best of it's type at something while not devaluing older legendaries. Each new blade should be arguably the best of its type but not clearly the best and that is exactly what has been delivered. It would have been very disappointing to me had the new blades been unquestionably more powerful than the original 5.

One big thing that I think a lot of people are overlooking, Stuns by enemies in this game are almost inconsequential once you pass level 40. Enemies have no real attack pattern and due to that stuns from enemies are easy to avoid and far and few between. Stun immunity on its own isn't something that I think should be the primary skill on a legendary weapon unless they buff enemy stuns significantly and make it worth it. The parry boost is a nice addition as parry is a very useful skill to negate damage. However on a saber hurricane slash is feels very out of place.

All in all this weapon is by no means bad, but it isn't on the level a legendary should be nor does it have the unique feel a Legendary Cursed weapon should have
Not sure exactly what the difference is between the way you loot and the way I do but I find myself constantly stunned, unlike you. Or maybe it's just our perceptions and the truth is somewhere in between the two? In any case the exact value of stun immunity is uncertain as compared with attack point but it definitely does have some value.

Wow this thing needs some serious buffs. The krakenslayer has some pretty decent stats to be a legendary cursed weapon, but this thing feels like it should just be famed not LC. The blade itself looks really cool though
How do you guys know right off that it's a sabre? Certain buffs to certain swords? Because the visuals don't tell me anything.
thanks.

Back