Anti- Name & Shame

• Thread starter Shamus The Brute
  • Start date
I see what you did there. ;) As a reminder, I don't have all the answers (hence my intent behind trying to initiate discussion about this as opposed to just doing the usual [Brute] style where everyone misconstrues my intention and chalks it off as 'confirmation bias'). idk. Perhaps such a system (i.e., the brethren court) could tally votes to create a decision to be brought forth ultimately to official moderation for concurrence and approval. It really matters not. The goal I am trying my best to convey is that if you give players the chance they may surprise you on how well they can contribute to bringing forth decisions of justice themselves (in-game), to an extent, for the purpose of game ownership.

As I recall, POTCO became at it's end a crap of a game because nobody felt compelled to have any sense of ownership over it. It became a free-for-all to which everything goes because everyone knew Disney was not sufficiently moderating. *This is not to say TLOPO is doing the same. This is to say, rather, that the greatest asset TLOPO moderators have is the eyes and ears of the ground-level player. Why not help them in a way to contribute further in lieu of the ignore/reporting options.

*In reality, whatever is decided about conclusions draw upon this thread is a win-win for me because if trolls/trouble-makers take time to read...I hope they understand the extent ;) I am willing to go to push for more "regulation" in-game because I too have a stake in the success of this remake; the impact TLOPO has upon the success of this forums. Aye! That is exactly what a sense of ownership is, is it not?

So basically what you're saying is the average player needs to have more of a voice. Or rather that their voice needs to be more widely heard right?

I'm popping in here to make one HUGE point that I think almost everyone has forgotten about, and should ALWAYS be considered whenever discussing how to deal with trolls before any idea can come to fruition (other than the report/ignore) on how to handle or hold them accountable.

All trolls crave attention and do things in game to get that attention they desire. Whenever anyone interacts with a troll, especially when an argument breaks out between them, that troll IS getting the attention they desire. Trolls feed off of others' actions, reactions, and words. That is why you have heard/read so many people say: Don't feed the troll. THEY ARE AFTER ATTENTION.

^This should ALWAYS be the first thing considered in whatever idea anyone comes up with.

I know I keep stressing the report/ignore, but the reason why is because this is the one way that they do NOT get the attention they want when I come across one. And I do advise anyone who chooses to use the report/ignore option when they deal with a troll to NOT state in local chat 'Reported' because that will still give them the attention they are after. When a troll knows that they have been reported, it's like collecting a reward to them.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to point out.

More of what I am saying is, the option for players to contribute greater (in so far as some decision-making).
People are welcome to (politely and constructively) contribute by suggesting improvements to moderation and moderation policy. TLOPO has already made quite a lot of changes there over the years in response to player feedback. Unfortunately, many of the ideas I've seen so far with regards to the issue at hand aren't feasible for one reason or another. Still, that doesn't mean the suggestions are being ignored or that there isn't a practical solution out there somewhere.

People are welcome to (politely and constructively) contribute by suggesting improvements to moderation and moderation policy. TLOPO has already made quite a lot of changes there over the years in response to player feedback. Unfortunately, many of the ideas I've seen so far with regards to the issue at hand aren't feasible for one reason or another. Still, that doesn't mean the suggestions are being ignored or that there isn't a practical solution out there somewhere.
I understand.

Feedback written on this forums suggests more of a moderator presence, in-game. Now, as someone whom doesn't play but to whom frequents this forums quite often, I assume this is because of the level and continuation of trolling to which made POTCO quite famous. Am I completely wrong to assume in this way? If I am why would others state they are experiencing something within TLOPO which closely matches the way in which POTCO was ruined?

It is of my opinion that when it comes to matters online, trolls thrive while everyone else is left to simply deal with it. But what if...things did not have to be left that way? What if...people actually denied trolls/trouble-makers the chance and opportunity to even start something from the beginning (which would later call for someone else to react/take action). What if...moderation options in-game became overly proactive as opposed to reactive in both nature and purpose. What if....

*Do not sit there and tell me our lack of imagination and creativity is limited in scope in so far as moderation policy and practices which has always been. You pirates can do more. ;)

It is of my opinion that when it comes to matters online, trolls thrive while everyone else is left to simply deal with it. But what if...things did not have to be left that way? What if...people actually denied trolls/trouble-makers the chance and opportunity to even start something from the beginning (which would later call for someone else to react/take action). What if...moderation options in-game became overly proactive as opposed to reactive in both nature and purpose. What if....

"What if...moderation options in-game became overly proactive as opposed to reactive in both nature and purpose."

Are you proposing some form of 'prevention'?

"What if...moderation options in-game became overly proactive as opposed to reactive in both nature and purpose."

Are you proposing some form of 'prevention'?
I just feel like more can be done. I am drawing upon my own experiences in playing POTCO and so I could be wrong about TLOPO having any of these same issues. But yes, prevention itself goes a very long way to deter bad behavior before it even begins.

Without putting too much more demand on TLOPO devs, why couldn't a few changes be made to the load screen tips/suggestions box we all have to stare at in lieu of the wait (unless this has been attempted already). What I suggest is to educate players while they are playing. You have their attention anyways.

TLOPO could implement such changes in-game in ways to encourage and to instill a (online) culture for players to report, ignore, call forth a moderator, initiate an added in-game option (like booting option for Capt. on ships), etc. in a far greater capacity than what POTCO had. Again, this is assuming such an approach hasn't been tried before.

I don't mean to sound overly passionate but I did have a great deal of insight into the POTCO hacker/trolling/trouble-maker problem and I think, really, mischief itself has proven (too much) to be contagious online. ;) Why not make it difficult for people to act up? A robust culture, in-game, is where this begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back