Question Any Guitar Players On Here?

CharlotteIronPhoenix

Honorable Pirate
Hey guys! After wanting on for a long time, I finally bought a guitar from a consignment store that was going out of business. Cosmetically it needs some TLC, but the neck and body look good and after a fresh pair of strings it sounds good too.

But... I have no idea how to play. Or read music. But I really want to learn! So I was wondering, any guitarists on here know of any decent resources online that I can learn from (Or good books)?

I started playing just about a year ago :)

I would recommend taking at least a few private lessons to learn the most important basics of guitar, but if that doesnt sound like something you're interested in, the JustinGuitar YouTube channel has awesome videos for total beginners all the way up through pretty advanced players. If you follow his beginner course you will be in good hands.

Also I'd recommend learning some music theory if you still have a drive to learn on the guitar after you're comfortable with the basics. Knowing why you're playing what youre playing can help it make a lot more sense, and it will aid you tremendously down the road if you ever want to write anything yourself!

Guitar player for 8 years, and gigging for 2, with a pretty good band if I do say so myself. Guitar is much more intimidating to look at, than to play. On the surface it's tough, but when you start learning, I believe its very simple. It's all muscle memory, like driving a car, or riding a bike, you begin to just, remember how to do stuff.

YouTube is a great resource for beginners, very simple stuff. UltimateGuitar.com is a fantastic resource as far as learning songs, with chords. Users post versions of a song that they hear and notate, on this site for people to play, critique, and rate, and many of them are good. I'm able to read music in a concert band environment, but as far as guitar is concerned, I just look up chords. Best song to learn, starting off, is "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" the Bob Dylan version. Aside from being a super great, and iconic song, its really easy. 4 chords. G, D, Am, and C. You learn those 4 chords, and you can play like 50-75% of modern pop songs, and they're fairly simple chords. Guitar is all practice, because the more you practice, the less you'll have to think to change chords, or move up/down the fretboard. If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me, I love talking music, just as much as I enjoy talking cars! And congrats on picking up guitar, its a great skill to have! :)

If it is an electric guitar, i'd recommend getting Rocksmith. It's how i learned to play and was pretty fun too. ( i believe there is also a way for acoustic guitars to use it as well)

I been playing for two and a half years. I'd suggest you get the PC game Rocksmith 2014. It taught me everything I need to know. Except for sheet music. You need to get a teacher for that one.

I've been playing for a while. My biggest inspiration is Dave Mustaine and I write original music in my band.

Back