Discussion Any Other Developers Out There?

alecn1519

Swashbuckler
Hey everybody, it's me again. I was just wondering if there were any other developers/programmers on the forums? You don't have to do it professionally or even be strictly software development.
If you all are out there and would like to chat, feel free to hit me up on skype or on the IRC and we can discuss things in more detail or just rant and rave about programming and 1's and 0's and such.

I'm a student who wants to go into programming, I'm doing it a lot in my free time but theres always more and more to learn.

I'm a student who wants to go into programming, I'm doing it a lot in my free time but theres always more and more to learn.
That's the good thing about it. You never get bored, because there's always more to learn and you always have room to improve. ;)

I am a software developer in college and have built some small games and would love to work on making more and improving my skills. I have started by teaching myself since I was in high school and try to continue learning on my own whenever I have time - which isn't a lot at the moment given I'm a sophomore in college and planning on transferring this fall.

Currently taking CS210 (Introduction to Unix) and CS215 (Programming II) aka introduction to C++. Trying to eventually get a focus on cybersecurity. Anyone have any knowledge on things revolving around cybersecurity (typical languages used, typical operating systems used, etc.)?

Currently taking CS210 (Introduction to Unix) and CS215 (Programming II) aka introduction to C++. Trying to eventually get a focus on cybersecurity. Anyone have any knowledge on things revolving around cybersecurity (typical languages used, typical operating systems used, etc.)?

Cyber security? As in, cryptography?

Cyber security? As in, cryptography?
Cyber security, he finds flaws in security systems and fixes them and creates better ways to encrypt and set up firewalls yatta yatta yatta.

Cryptography is just the study of solving and creating (secret) codes like a spy.

Cyber security, he finds flaws in security systems and fixes them and creates better ways to encrypt and set up firewalls yatta yatta yatta.

Cryptography is just the study of solving and creating (secret) codes like a spy.
I'm asking since courses vary from a field to field and from a country to country. For example, in the West people associate computer engineering with what we here associate with "computer systems and technologies", discrete math everywhere in computer science is referred to as "discrete structures", just to sound fancier, etc. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked, but if you are correct, then I can't contribute to the conversation.

P. S. : "Creating codes like a spy", lol, it's just an interdisciplinary field like any other (machine learning, computer vision etc.) But yeah, people will ask you to "hack" stuff for them, as if you are a magician with a lot of spare time.

I'm asking since courses vary from a field to field and from a country to country. For example, in the West people associate computer engineering with what we here associate with "computer systems and technologies", discrete math everywhere in computer science is referred to as "discrete structures", just to sound fancier, etc. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked, but if you are correct, then I can't contribute to the conversation.

P. S. : "Creating codes like a spy", lol, it's just an interdisciplinary field like any other (machine learning, computer vision etc.) But yeah, people will ask you to "hack" stuff for them, as if you are a magician with a lot of spare time.
I said "like a spy" just in case you didn't have an understanding of what it was.

Graduating with a Bachelors in Computer Science this May and starting with Seagate in June. The job will be focusing on Super Computer storage and file systems. Should be pretty neat.

The top one is what I was speaking of. Seems the most interesting to me at the moment. I was just interested in seeing if there was anyone on the forums with experience in the field or revolving around the field.

Im an Software Engineering student here in Florida. Currently work for a lab where I do programming and robotics research. Might be interning at IHMC which is located here in Pensacola. The lab I work with had me and the Senior I work with teach a weekend camp a couple weeks back.

Kind of an old thread that has been gaining attention, so I may as well reply.

I am a Web Developer and Game Designer/Developer. I currently know HTML, CSS (if you even count that lol), PHP, SQL, C#, C++, and Java. I also know a little bit of JavaScript and Python but I need some practice with both of those. I am self taught for the most part, but do plan on going to college to make it official. :)

Last edited:
I have been programming for 20+ years. I have worked for many of the fortune 50 companies in the US. Currently, I am working for Nike in Portland doing Node.js/Angular 2 work. Hit me up if you have questions about what to learn or what to expect in the field.

Im an Software Engineering student here in Florida. Currently work for a lab where I do programming and robotics research. Might be interning at IHMC which is located here in Pensacola. The lab I work with had me and the Senior I work with teach a weekend camp a couple weeks back.

Have you gotten into any Machine Learning yet? I have been wanting to mess around with it but my course load for my final semester was too nuts for me to add another 400 level. (Taking Big Data and HCI)

I have been programming for 20+ years. I have worked for many of the fortune 50 companies in the US. Currently, I am working for Nike in Portland doing Node.js/Angular 2 work. Hit me up if you have questions about what to learn or what to expect in the field.

I have asked this to every person that interviewed me and I figure I met as well ask you too: What advice do you have for a person transitioning from Higher Education to Industry for the first time? What would you have done differently with your transition?

When I transitioned I had already been in the workplace for 1.5 years with an internship program at an aerospace company. They liked my work so I went full time right after college. I guess the best bit of advice would be to not concern yourself with pay when you get your first opportunity. A smart move would be to become a consultant/contractor for the first couple of years and get a broad base of experience under your belt. After you have a couple of years of experience with a degree you can start earning 6 figures plus. 5 years experience and you will be qualified for a senior level position.

Hey everybody, it's me again. I was just wondering if there were any other developers/programmers on the forums? You don't have to do it professionally or even be strictly software development.
If you all are out there and would like to chat, feel free to hit me up on skype or on the IRC and we can discuss things in more detail or just rant and rave about programming and 1's and 0's and such.

I'm currently in high school and enrolled in programming classes for next year. (I'm on summer vacation), it'll be my third year of taking programming classes.

I know Python, Java, SQL, and C++. I even ran a RuneScape private server for a while, but had to shut it down due to irl complications.

:)

Hey everyone! So i'm not sure if this question should go here or if I should just make another thread, but here it goes:

Background
: I want to become a software developer, and I recently (like yesterday) started studying for the MTA: Developer Certification and (hopefully) continue the path to get an MCSD: App Builder Certification. I also plan to get at least a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science (maybe Masters). I'm going to start my first year of community college this August and work on getting my Associates Degree in Computer Science. I have very limited experience in JavaScript, and C#, and am hoping my studying for the Microsoft Certifications will improve my knowledge on programming. I also live in California and am pretty close to Silicon Valley.

Question: What type of side projects should I work on for my portfolio if I want to become a Software Developer and impress recruiters? The only types of projects I find interesting are games and i'm not sure if that's what recruiters are looking for. I have a like maybe one app idea, but it's not much. I don't really know what types of projects recruiters are looking for, but I keep reading online that you should always be working on projects to build up your portfolio if you want to get hired.

Any form of help or guidance is very much appreciated. :D

Hey everyone! So i'm not sure if this question should go here or if I should just make another thread, but here it goes:

Background
: I want to become a software developer, and I recently (like yesterday) started studying for the MTA: Developer Certification and (hopefully) continue the path to get an MCSD: App Builder Certification. I also plan to get at least a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science (maybe Masters). I'm going to start my first year of community college this August and work on getting my Associates Degree in Computer Science. I have very limited experience in JavaScript, and C#, and am hoping my studying for the Microsoft Certifications will improve my knowledge on programming. I also live in California and am pretty close to Silicon Valley.

Question: What type of side projects should I work on for my portfolio if I want to become a Software Developer and impress recruiters? The only types of projects I find interesting are games and i'm not sure if that's what recruiters are looking for. I have a like maybe one app idea, but it's not much. I don't really know what types of projects recruiters are looking for, but I keep reading online that you should always be working on projects to build up your portfolio if you want to get hired.

Any form of help or guidance is very much appreciated. :D

Do whatever you can, just get your name on something. Doesnt matter to much what you work on, but depending on what field you want to work in, look for projects similar to that. There are websites great for this, but you will have to look em up yourself as I havent used any in a bit

Back