Discussion Are skull chests nerfed or is this normal?

squintz

Pirate Lord
screenshot_2017-11-27_03-47-25.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-47-25.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-20-48.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-47-25.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-20-48.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-12-01.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-09-00.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-08-46.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-06-54.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_03-00-25.jpg screenshot_2017-11-27_02-29-25.jpg screenshot_2017-11-26_04-14-19.jpg screenshot_2017-11-26_03-42-49.jpg This is not a glitch or bug beta discussion or question, but more a game play discussion.
I was in El Patrons Mine to level up and found the 4 ghosts in an end room and decided to just grind for once. I'm a level 41.
Using a lvl 5 siege grenade takes out all four ghosts who range between 33-43 randomly between spawns.
I was counting all 4 killed as a 'round' and how many rounds I needed before a skull chest would show up.
I had done this the night previous without keeping track but had over 20 skulls with almost nothing to show for it except a rare treasure sense. 1 fame, not even near my level, which I already had.

Now comes last night, same ghosts, same channel, same siege grenades.
To start, I killed a total 188 ghosts and the final for the night I actually got a fame. A treasure sense.
Each mark stands for 4 kills, when followed by a @ that equals the skull chest drop. So III-@ means 12 kills with the final 4 the skull dropped. Which of the final 4 kills dropped the skull I couldn't tell because 90% of the time they went down as a group together. So I'm not using that parameter. This is also not completely accurate, as I might have forgotten to include a set of kills.
Here's the unofficial run down of my results. Each 'group' ended with the skull '@'. Then a new group commenced.
I'm not suggesting anything about patterns as this is probably a short series and to be actually more conclusive should be done every day at least, perhaps at same times?

Anyways, I think it shows skull chests are not as good as anticipated and I've included some screeners of some of the skull chest that were downright sad.

I-@,
III-@
II-@
IIII\IIII\I-@
III-@
IIII-@
II-@
I-@
IIII-@
I-@
IIII\IIII\III-@ -- the only fame-treasure sense

Last edited:
>be trash at a RNG
Maybe set the rng reward results a little higher with skull chests than nothing better than bags 90% of the time as it is now.
Game wise, doesn't seem worth the trouble to grind for skulls and should just forget about them as anything special. Maybe make the skulls rarer with proportionally good stuff in them.

Maybe set the rng reward results a little higher with skull chests than nothing better than bags 90% of the time as it is now.
Game wise, doesn't seem worth the trouble to grind for skulls and should just forget about them as anything special. Maybe make the skulls rarer with proportionally good stuff in them.
Skull chests on land are pretty rare and rarely drop anything good with the chests you get. Skull chests found at sea however are much better, first because you get more in general, and secondly because they seem to drop better things. Why? No clue. No one really does, only the developers who wrote the looting system know. But in the end there is a large degree of randomness to it. If you want to increase your chances of better items currently the only confirm-able strategy for doing so is to simply increase time spent and enemies killed.

Skull chests on land are pretty rare and rarely drop anything good with the chests you get. Skull chests found at sea however are much better, first because you get more in general, and secondly because they seem to drop better things. Why? No clue. No one really does, only the developers who wrote the looting system know. But in the end there is a large degree of randomness to it. If you want to increase your chances of better items currently the only confirm-able strategy for doing so is to simply increase time spent and enemies killed.
Ye, thanks.
back to beta testing mentality then.

Just because you haven't found anything good from loot skull chests, doesn't mean they have been nerfed. That's just your luck.
By the way, I am not saying that the it couldn't be the game. After all, it is still in beta.

It seems to be normal except for your gold. The gold is usually like in the hundreds for me.
I agree with Ben. Something is off, as I had way too many with 10 to 15 gold and 5 siege grenades. That's just wrong.
And what is your length of experience with loot ratios? Are you comparing the old potco game? I'm going on 8 or nine months now with fairly steady game play & testing. And I say 2 items showing up in a skull chest that show a 3 skull rating is broken. Is a simple loot pouch supposed to beat a skull chest 3 out of 4 times they drop together?
I would hope not.

I agree with Ben. Something is off, as I had way too many with 10 to 15 gold and 5 siege grenades. That's just wrong.
And what is your length of experience with loot ratios? Are you comparing the old potco game? I'm going on 8 or nine months now with fairly steady game play & testing. And I say 2 items showing up in a skull chest that show a 3 skull rating is broken.

I feel as if my luck is better in this game than it was back in the actual POTCO so I can really tell u if it's worse than POTCO. I had like 2 famed and 1 legend back then and now I have 1 legend and rest of inventory is famed. Both games had full maxed pirates so for me it's actually better ig.

I feel as if my luck is better in this game than it was back in the actual POTCO so I can really tell u if it's worse than POTCO. I had like 2 famed and 1 legend back then and now I have 1 legend and rest of inventory is famed. Both games had full maxed pirates so for me it's actually better ig.
Understood, however. I'm a level 41 and would expect loot adjusted for my level for the most part. It's the overall level of quality that's been showing up for a month or more. It's all you see in any chat how lousy the skulls have become. If they're playing with formulas and ratios there's nothing we can do but just report that they feel lacking. Perhaps our input gives them something to go on when deciding these issues.
Perhaps not.

I don't even loot for skull chests on land for this reason. I have much better luck on sea with the loot, and I feel like it's much more worth my time to get skull chests at sea then on land. I tend to get really good rares, and I've also gotten a famed at sea, but on land, I always get garbage weapons and clothes. I even got a wax doll or something that couldn't be sold for anything from a loot skull chest...

Deal with it. The game is already too easy. I want to work and grind for what I get. In my opinion, the difficulty of the game needs to be turned up and the special loot availability turned down to a minimum.

Deal with it. The game is already too easy. I want to work and grind for what I get. In my opinion, the difficulty of the game needs to be turned up and the special loot availability turned down to a minimum.

Is it just me, or are you replying to threads with "This game is too easy..." style posts? <- based on a few other forum threads.

Also, I do feel that skulls are slightly nerfed, but then again, I could just be "unlucky/too low of a level..."<- Based on experience...

Undead haven't Dropped a SINGLE Haunted for me yet from Skulls !! Must need to be a Preferred Guild to get them !
I was under the impression haunted bones came from the hollows. I haven't gotten any anywhere but the hollows and my total take the whole event is 4 haunted. I wonder if I can keep those all year. But you touched on another ratio that we don't know about.

I'm going back to the mine and do what was suggested and that is to go in fully stocked and not use ammo or any items that use up resources. I think I've seen 'unlimited sidewinder' sidewinder loot in drops so I'm going to pay good attention to see if I'm getting stuff I already have in ammo and such. If my knife is unlimited sidewinder and I throw one and it still comes up in loot, then that would be another weird wrench in the loot mystery. Because technically, if I go in with a full bag of sidewinders and I'm using an unlimited sidewinder knife/dagger and throw a few, there shouldn't be a place to put any back?

My head hurts.

I was under the impression haunted bones came from the hollows.
Nope, I've gotten my 9 from General Darkheart. I know they only spawn in skulls from skeletons and the Davy Jones' Crew at Tormenta. Not sure about creatures though... Small bones->Pouches/large bones->Loot Chests/Haunted Bones->Loot Skull Chests. That's what I usually find with the loot system with bones.

Back