Are war brigs too overpowered?

Swashbuckler
I've sort of noticed something about the brigs in general, in that they have equivalent (or slightly less) speed to sloops of their ship class, higher health than galleons, slightly less cargo space than galleons but more than frigates of their class, a heck of a lot more broadsides than frigates of their class, and overall a very generous health pool amount. Broadside armor is also really hard to whittle down.

This is only really compensated by being exponentially more expensive depending on the class.

Was Disney really thinking when they introduced brigs? They aren't really "the middle man" of warships, they're superior to all of the others in every way. The Frigate is only ever so slightly good on the basis of having flexibility in terms of available crewed cannons, but that's mostly it.

I like how they look, but they are a bit op, for sure. Took down 2 colossus, a behemoth, 3 sentinels and 3 Panthers and only took ~300 damage. Helps that tlopo npc ships aren't good shots, lol.

But I personally like the brig... dunno why though.

Too overpowered? I was disappointed, the war brig was slightly better than the brig, but was like 11,5 times its price.
The price is a killer, but I'm basing my post on my current brig... which I'm going to call a medium brig, since it isn't a war or light brig. 9k gold isn't too bad for me to pay, and it's cheaper to upgrade than a war brig. (War class ships are status symbols to me, lol)

The price is a killer, but I'm basing my post on my current brig... which I'm going to call a medium brig, since it isn't a war or light brig. 9k gold isn't too bad for me to pay, and it's cheaper to upgrade than a war brig. (War class ships are status symbols to me, lol)

I don't have problems with the money, but still felt like the war brig was either overpriced or underpowered. I was expecting to be MUCH more powerful.

I've never had a war ship in POTCO, I was playing for free(no membership), so it was my first experience with a war ship and my expectations were much higher because of the price.

People say that upgrades on the war brig are the best, I will surely try it when upgrading is implemented. It will probably change my opinion on the ship, but so far I don't think a jump from a brig to a war brig is worth it. Especially if you really want to spend the money on something else.

I don't have problems with the money, but still felt like the war brig was either overpriced or underpowered. I was expecting to be MUCH more powerful.

I've never had a war ship in POTCO, I was playing for free(no membership), so it was my first experience with a war ship and my expectations were much higher because of the price.

People say that upgrades on the war brig are the best, I will surely try it when upgrading is implemented. It will probably change my opinion on the ship, but so far I don't think a jump from a brig to a war brig is worth it. Especially if you really want to spend the money on something else.
My brig is stuck with me, an' I am stuck with her.

Given the fact that enemy ship AI is pretty trash right now and horribly inconsistent, I would say just wait a while for a conclusion once its fixed up. I remember in POTCO War Brigs were good but not overpowered IMO. They had a bit to every category but no over the top category. They are certainly the best ship for plundering I would say (unless you want to trade speed for a slightly larger capacity), but with SvS you were much better off using a War Frigate or even a War Sloop. Ultimately it depends on your playstyle I would say. Also with ship customization (which was released alongside the brig) you could specialize each class further which kind of balanced things a bit more.

Given the fact that enemy ship AI is pretty trash right now and horribly inconsistent, I would say just wait a while for a conclusion once its fixed up. I remember in POTCO War Brigs were good but not overpowered IMO. They had a bit to every category but no over the top category. They are certainly the best ship for plundering I would say (unless you want to trade speed for a slightly larger capacity), but with SvS you were much better off using a War Frigate or even a War Sloop. Ultimately it depends on your playstyle I would say. Also with ship customization (which was released alongside the brig) you could specialize each class further which kind of balanced things a bit more.
I liked that Jack of all trades style in potco. But I have recently found that I like "tanking". What is the tankiest ship then?

I'm sure a very skilled War Frigate crew would be able to take out one of these ships in SvS, i have seen it happen.

No, Frigates are over-powered, Brigs are just fine. So many cannons and so much armor. They should be SLIGHTLY nerfed to allow the War Galleon to have the toughest armor. If you go to a shipwright and you look at the Galleon's description, they say the Galleon has the toughest armor. However, if you look at the War Frigate's stats, it has more armor points, taking value away from the Galleon. I don't see why Frigates have that much armor anyways. Historically, Frigates didn't have much armor, but they had a great amount of fire power. Galleons were trading ships that carried loads of valuables. Galleons were manufactured with very heavy armor to keep pirates at bay. POTCO never let the Galleon live up to its full name. Either the Frigates need to be nerfed, or the Galleons needs to be buffed (armor-wise).

I like fortune hunter war brigs but I sail ol skool war galleons skull and bones thats my all time fav war ship. Like to have one again if its ever possible.

Actually War Brigs and War Frigates have the same amount of cargo space. The trade off between the two is Brig gets two more broadside cannons on each side, while the Frigate gets one more deck cannon per side (Which is actually stronger than the two extra broadsides if you have the crew member to cover it). Then the Brig is ever so slightly faster than the Frigate, but the Frigate is more armored and has more hull health than the Brig does. These two ships are actually balanced when compared to each other.

I would say they are pretty busted, sloops should be fastest, Frigates should have the highest damage, galleons should be the tankiest and hold the most. Brigs should be a pretty even median between all 3
If we did have this, brigs would be the only thing anyone would buy (and light sloops). In this game, a glass cannon will not work (unless you're firing 120mm HEs out of those broadsides[sign me up]), speed with nothing else only finds a place in SvS, and the current situation proves cargo is not a huge factor, especially with cargo upgrades leading to the best two specials.

Back