Are war brigs too overpowered?

If we did have this, brigs would be the only thing anyone would buy (and light sloops). In this game, a glass cannon will not work (unless you're firing 120mm HEs out of those broadsides[sign me up]), speed with nothing else only finds a place in SvS, and the current situation proves cargo is not a huge factor, especially with cargo upgrades leading to the best two specials.
so fury and explosive broadsides basically? regardless of what we do we cant deny war brigs are overpowered right now. they have high stats in every category and makes all the other ships not worth it for anything but appearance. it actively makes no since. its basically a slightly better war frigate with the speed of a war sloop. also i never said anything about cutting the defense on ships im saying it should be a rounded measure between the other 3 ships. in no way would it be a glass cannon

so fury and explosive broadsides basically? regardless of what we do we cant deny war brigs are overpowered right now. they have high stats in every category and makes all the other ships not worth it for anything but appearance. it actively makes no since. its basically a slightly better war frigate with the speed of a war sloop. also i never said anything about cutting the defense on ships im saying it should be a rounded measure between the other 3 ships. in no way would it be a glass cannon
You know, after putting more thought into which war ship I'm going to buy, I've decided frigates are by far the better of the two. This is due to the *4* front cannons that can be used to fire at a ship that's chasing you while you're moving backwards. This'll easily kill treasure fleets.
So, this places the functionality of the brig FAR below the war frigate, since you have to stop and turn 90 degrees to get guns on target, and only two more than the front facing ones on the frigate at that. So I believe it's now no contest.
My final arsenal will be war frigate, war sloop, light sloop.

You know, after putting more thought into which war ship I'm going to buy, I've decided frigates are by far the better of the two. This is due to the *4* front cannons that can be used to fire at a ship that's chasing you while you're moving backwards. This'll easily kill treasure fleets.
So, this places the functionality of the brig FAR below the war frigate, since you have to stop and turn 90 degrees to get guns on target, and only two more than the front facing ones on the frigate at that. So I believe it's now no contest.
My final arsenal will be war frigate, war sloop, light sloop.
Or just sail at a slight angle to the treasure fleet that's not nearly enough utility to consider it better and you have to take into account the brig has 4 more broadside which is huge depending on your customization route

No, Frigates are over-powered, Brigs are just fine. So many cannons and so much armor. They should be SLIGHTLY nerfed to allow the War Galleon to have the toughest armor. If you go to a shipwright and you look at the Galleon's description, they say the Galleon has the toughest armor. However, if you look at the War Frigate's stats, it has more armor points, taking value away from the Galleon. I don't see why Frigates have that much armor anyways. Historically, Frigates didn't have much armor, but they had a great amount of fire power. Galleons were trading ships that carried loads of valuables. Galleons were manufactured with very heavy armor to keep pirates at bay. POTCO never let the Galleon live up to its full name. Either the Frigates need to be nerfed, or the Galleons needs to be buffed (armor-wise).

Totally agree - was going to suggest the nerf approach as well. Other games nerf classes, weapons etc - I think it's a reasonable suggestion for consideration.

RD

Honestly, no matter what people say, I still prefer Galleons. I do a lot of solo looting runs, and the shear amount of broadsides, and the strength of the Galleon's armor, is more than enough for me to prefer it. Honestly, I found my brig went down easier than my Galleon, so. That's my point of view. But brigs definitely aren't overpowered.
*Edit* At the end of the day, it all comes down to people's playing style.
In this thread, people have been posting about how some ship classes are better than others, how some don't live up to the name, etc (Other than the Sloop). Honestly, the ship is only as good as the player handling it. Someone in a Sloop could take down a Brig faster than a Galleon could, if they were simply a better sailor, and the ship matched their play style. No ships truly are over powered, some are just better for a certain type of sailor. For instance, in my case, Galleons felt insanely over powered, as I could take down a treasure fleet without taking a hit. However, with my brig, I felt like I was taking hits left and right. So, I don't think the ships actually need nerfs, or buffs, because it all depends on your play style.

<_<...>_>... I think Brigs are the only ship type that looks good. The masts are actually nice and point straight up, the sails face perfectly forward, the hull shape looks feasible.

Definitely my sailing eye candy.

By the way, sails aren't supposed to face perfectly forward, they angle so as to improve manouvers in the wind. :p

I've sort of noticed something about the brigs in general, in that they have equivalent (or slightly less) speed to sloops of their ship class, higher health than galleons, slightly less cargo space than galleons but more than frigates of their class, a heck of a lot more broadsides than frigates of their class, and overall a very generous health pool amount. Broadside armor is also really hard to whittle down.

This is only really compensated by being exponentially more expensive depending on the class.

Was Disney really thinking when they introduced brigs? They aren't really "the middle man" of warships, they're superior to all of the others in every way. The Frigate is only ever so slightly good on the basis of having flexibility in terms of available crewed cannons, but that's mostly it.

I feel War Sloop should still be the fastest of the War class. I feel that each War version should have an advantage over the other.

War Brigs in my opinion are overrated and very boring to have/own.

Sure they do have lots of cannons, looks good, fast speed.... But seeing 52 war brigs and 1 frigate in public is real boring.
I even prefer to sail with light frigates/galleons now rather than picking a war ship its much more entertaining!

No they're not overpowered at all. Broadsides are only 2 shot more than a frigate and have the same broadsides as a galleon, it's got the same speed ASA frigate tied for second fastest has 16 cargo spaces and has second best hp behind the frigate

No they're not overpowered at all. Broadsides are only 2 shot more than a frigate and have the same broadsides as a galleon, it's got the same speed ASA frigate tied for second fastest has 16 cargo spaces and has second best hp behind the frigate
Two less broadsides per side than a Galleon, actually. Galleons still have the most broadsides.

It's actually got the same speed in knots as a Sloop, so its tied for fastest. :)

No, Frigates are over-powered, Brigs are just fine. So many cannons and so much armor. They should be SLIGHTLY nerfed to allow the War Galleon to have the toughest armor. If you go to a shipwright and you look at the Galleon's description, they say the Galleon has the toughest armor. However, if you look at the War Frigate's stats, it has more armor points, taking value away from the Galleon. I don't see why Frigates have that much armor anyways. Historically, Frigates didn't have much armor, but they had a great amount of fire power. Galleons were trading ships that carried loads of valuables. Galleons were manufactured with very heavy armor to keep pirates at bay. POTCO never let the Galleon live up to its full name. Either the Frigates need to be nerfed, or the Galleons needs to be buffed (armor-wise).
Definitely buff the galleon.

Back