Question Armed or unarmed??

squintz

Pirate Lord
Without getting long winded and over explain my question is simply this:
Do enemies, reg and bosses react differently if you have a weapon drawn when entering their 'space'?

I haven't been able to ascertain that in game sufficiently yet.
I would like input from a staff, preferably a dev is possible.

Thanks.

I’m not absolutely sure but it seems to me that in general they do not react differently. That said, I feel that when you are in very close proximity and draw a weapon they often do react to that, as though the size of your hit box increases so as to bump them into action, this is only when you are very close. The aggro of enemies is something that the developers still need to work on a lot, it is currently far from what it was in potco and not at all consistent throughout tlopo.

I’m not absolutely sure but it seems to me that in general they do not react differently. That said, I feel that when you are in very close proximity and draw a weapon they often do react to that, as though the size of your hit box increases so as to bump them into action, this is only when you are very close. The aggro of enemies is something that the developers still need to work on a lot, it is currently far from what it was in potco and not at all consistent throughout tlopo.
Yes. It's that inconsistency that caused me to question the staff. I would have expected the hit box info to be maybe a set rule across the entities. Armed in hit box, enemy reacts every time regardless of actions, not armed, enemy just faces you and stands there. This is before any other actions such as waving, pulling their weapons. I'm pretty sure bosses react most the time regardless, but even that has been inconsistent.

The other day I had remy the viscous chase to the total upper part of the fort to the empty buildings and never gave up. And I only passed under him on my way to the stairs near him.

Yes. It's that inconsistency that caused me to question the staff. I would have expected the hit box info to be maybe a set rule across the entities. Armed in hit box, enemy reacts every time regardless of actions, not armed, enemy just faces you and stands there. This is before any other actions such as waving, pulling their weapons. I'm pretty sure bosses react most the time regardless, but even that has been inconsistent.

The other day I had remy the viscous chase to the total upper part of the fort to the empty buildings and never gave up. And I only passed under him on my way to the stairs near him.
Another frustrating thing that I wish they’d work on is that gray tags should never aggro to you unless you attack them.

Another frustrating thing that I wish they’d work on is that gray tags should never aggro to you unless you attack them.
same, also some walls in forts or some tree's arn't solid for them, i can't tell how many times i had to deal with some enemies that walk through walls cause the aggro was in their range or when they walk through a giant tree to attack me.

same, also some walls in forts or some tree's arn't solid for them, i can't tell how many times i had to deal with some enemies that walk through walls cause the aggro was in their range or when they walk through a giant tree to attack me.
Yep. Part and partial to a beta. I laughed when I found out something last year. I couldn't believe I had flytraps following me and thought another bug, but at least one of those suckers is supposed to move. Nothing like a magical cursed plant trailing you.
That's also part of our beta testing duties is to help staff find the holes.

Last edited:
Yep. Part and partial to a beta. I laughed when I found out something last year. I couldn't believe I had flytraps following me and thought another bug, but at least one of those suckers is supposed to move. Nothing like a magical cursed plant trailing you.
Still waiting from some dev about hit box rules concerning pirate postering in front of an enemy.

Seems to me that enemies often walked through walls in potco too, lol walls also don’t block attacks, player or enemy, that also was an issue in potco.

Seems to me that enemies often walked through walls in potco too, lol walls also don’t block attacks, player or enemy, that also was an issue in potco.
And that's another working thing about tlopo. They're constantly fixing disneys screw ups and non follow throughs.
That's another thing I've always said since I joined about potco. From all I've read and experienced, I never believed disney intended the pirate game to be a fully fleshed out self supporting franchise like game. Just a advertising gig for the movies, to be thrown away after it's initial use and reason was spent. But thought twice as an afterthought to throw some effort at it and make some money. I was under the impression that potco's intro was initially free and the sub came later.

I still want to know if holding a weapon and just standing there will tic off an enemy. I think that bosses will react no matter what you do once you're in their hit box.

Last edited:
And that's another working thing about tlopo. They're constantly fixing disneys screw ups and non follow throughs.
That's another thing I've always said since I joined about potco. From all I've read and experienced, I never believed disney intended the pirate game to be a fully fleshed out self supporting franchise like game. Just a advertising gig for the movies, to be thrown away after it's initial use and reason was spent. But thought twice as an afterthought to throw some effort at it and make some money. I was under the impression that potco's intro was initially free and the sub came later.

I still want to know if holding a weapon and just standing there will tic off an enemy. I think that bosses will react no matter what you do once you're in their hit box.
I just checked General Hex where I killed him and then stood where he was for when he respawned and he was not attacking me. He did not react when I drew my weapon.

I just checked General Hex where I killed him and then stood where he was for when he respawned and he was not attacking me. He did not react when I drew my weapon.
You may need to back out of his hit box area and back in. I don't know what the mechanics are or what the boss checks for as they spawn.

Just tried that; I could move all around and not trigger him, I could bump him twice but on the third bump he attuned me. I think it was odd that I bumped him with no reaction but there it is.
Hmmm. We don't really know if the trigger is a collision deal or timing on the collision. Or what your profile at the moment has to be also as a trigger.
I've noticed, which isn't consistent, is that most friendly and even most enemies will make a simple animation/recognition reaction within like 20 map feet of them. Like vendors turning and waving. Like the ship repair who is facing out all the time seems to register you and waves when you hit his front deck edge.

Maybe they want this to be a mystery. At least give us a hint of the randomness is intentional to break up the monotony.
Personally, I don't really care if the ship guy waves or not, he's always frowning at me anyways... so dude, just fix my ship I don't need no lip.

really its about finding the right balances
?. Not sure what you mean. The thread was about whether an enemy reacts differently in his hit box if you have a weapon drawn or unarmed.
What actions result aren't really being questioned.

?. Not sure what you mean. The thread was about whether an enemy reacts differently in his hit box if you have a weapon drawn or unarmed.
What actions result aren't really being questioned.
probably the right balance of the hit box sizes?

Back