Question assorted extreme newbie ?'s

Oubliette

Pirate Apprentice
1) is there a 'usual' duration that the game is down for updates?

2) I'm getting close to level 15 sailing and my cash isn't keeping pace in order to buy a war ship ... I know I can fish for money, are there other things?

3) witch doctors had me all riled up ... I have to walk up to an enemy and touch them, but wd's can 'tune me up' from across the cavern. I discovered an Evil eye doll but I still have to get close .. are there longer range ee dolls?

4) Does the rank on item cards imply some improvement? rank 2 heal boost heals more than rank 1? or shorter cooling?

5) is 5 too many? ok

1) is there a 'usual' duration that the game is down for updates?

A: The game downtime depends on the introduction of whatever might be getting added. In this case it's likely just a patch for the potions multiplier, so it shouldn't be more than half an hour.

2) I'm getting close to level 15 sailing and my cash isn't keeping pace in order to buy a war ship ... I know I can fish for money, are there other things?

A: Blackjack is a great way to get gold, specifically the Blackjack Tavern on Padres if you've got the cheat cards and have a vague knowledge of how 21 works.

3) witch doctors had me all riled up ... I have to walk up to an enemy and touch them, but wd's can 'tune me up' from across the cavern. I discovered an Evil eye doll but I still have to get close .. are there longer range ee dolls?

A: The Evil Eye perk is the furthest reaching of any Doll Ability, and is identical on all dolls that contain this skill. Typically Witch Doctors won't aggro on your unless you get within a certain vicinity of them.

4) Does the rank on item cards imply some improvement? rank 2 heal boost heals more than rank 1? or shorter cooling?

A: Rank increases on item cards give a marginal improvement to the skill or ability that the weapon has on it. Find out more about the weapon abilities and ranks here.

5) is 5 too many? ok

A: No amount of questions is too many.

I've tried using cheat cards. I always get caught.
Trick is to use a chest card, win, leave the table, then sit back down. Less chance of getting caught that way.

For Blackjack, the only thing you need to be aware of in order to not get caught is to make sure that the card you're going to put into your hand via cheating isn't already being used by another NPC or player. If it is, then you will be sent to jail.

question #6: will voodoo staffs start dropping now that I have one .. I'm a lil indignant about the power 2 staff Tia gave me

#7 many years ago my fiance and I did the Black Pearl battle alone (well, the two of us) ... and then changes made it much harder. How is it now?

#8 the escalation of the cost to re-assign skill is it per skill? in other words if I re-assign sword, does

#9 I used to do screenshots with alt-print screen ... seems to give me blank (black) screen. How do we capture?

Last edited:
Staffs are really nil in loot drops , nothing much better then what ye have . Ye can but a Burnt staff from the quest guy on PDF for 175 k . BP BB Is still bugged badly ! Skill resets are per weapon ! I believe F9 still does screen shots !

question #6: will voodoo staffs start dropping now that I have one .. I'm a lil indignant about the power 2 staff Tia gave me
A. As @ThunderStorms said, staffs rarely ( if ever? ) drop in loot. You can buy staffs from gypsies' wagons or get them via quests (There is a part in the Raven's Cove quest that if you do the bonus part you get a staff.)

#7 many years ago my fiance and I did the Black Pearl battle alone (well, the two of us) ... and then changes made it much harder. How is it now?
B: From my experience the Black Pearl Boss Battle is pretty difficult. Albeit I've never been great at getting rid of the cannon towers, but I find them to be essentially impossible to do without at least two people. I was also able to get rid of the Goliath with two people as I recall. The towers seem to be the most difficult part, but the average player could probably clear it without about 4-5 people. From my experience the fewest number of people that you could possibly clear it with would be 2, but it'd be quite the challenge.

#8 the escalation of the cost to re-assign skill is it per skill? in other words if I re-assign sword, does
C. I don't think you quite finished typing here. I'll try to answer although I'm not sure exactly what you were going to say. If you want to re-assign a skill point, then you have to take that skill point from something else. It's been a while since I've done that, but I believe if you want to re-assign a skill point (no matter how many points you want to re-assign) you have to go to a trainer and pay gold to get all your skill points back, and then you can re-assign all your points as you please.

#9 I used to do screenshots with alt-print screen ... seems to give me blank (black) screen. How do we capture?
D. F9

Hope this helps

Is anyone getting the message that the game is still down for update? My brother was able to get back on and play but i have yet to be able to log in.

C. I don't think you quite finished typing here. I'll try to answer although I'm not sure exactly what you were going to say. If you want to re-assign a skill point, then you have to take that skill point from something else. It's been a while since I've done that, but I believe if you want to re-assign a skill point (no matter how many points you want to re-assign) you have to go to a trainer and pay gold to get all your skill points back, and then you can re-assign all your points as you please.
:p I had tried a few cut/pastes when deciding whether to add to my original thread or start another ...
"#8 the escalation of the cost to re-assign skill is it per skill? in other words if I re-assign sword, does re-assign of doll later count as a second?"

#8 to retrain you go to a blacksmiths that has a trainer and select the weapon you want to retrain. It’s cheap the first time, 500 gold I think, and 10k after that. You get all your skill points back to reallocate when you do this and then you go to your chest and put them on the skills you want. There are no other options but once you are to the point where you will want to do this gold will not be a big issue and it’s not something you do every day so I feel this system is good. I do retrain cannon fairly often as I have 3 different ship upgrades and I only have skill points to optimize for 2 at once.

#2 another easy way to make bank is to go to the busy server and locate a looting party at one of the high level bosses and ask to join them. The tricks for low level players to stay alive are to not be the first to hit and not be the closest player to the boss, so, use a ranged weapon and wait for the attack to start before you hit him and voila your rich. The boss will always attack the closest player that is attacking him.

Last edited:
Back