Combat Attack Power Effectiveness Issues

Walker7311

Buccaneer
INTRODUCTION
Hi, I know this post is probably quite late, and I'm still relatively new to TLOPO (maybe a month and a half of experience at the most?). I also was not a POTC player, but I've heard plenty of stories and I've put in quite a bit of time on my "Walker" character (level 37 as of right now). I know nothing of the PVP community so I'll just label all of this as a PVE discussion just to get that out of the way. And as a side note I kinda feel like PVP and PVE stats should be altered depending on which you are about to attend (e.g. when entering PVP stats change until the fight ends). It seems like the easiest way for PVP and PVE communities to both get what they want, though with extra work for the developers, sorry. To get down to my point, I haven't searched too hard on this site, but I get the feeling that people have kinda stopped caring about balancing the game's mechanics and weapons etc, and mostly just hope for good drops, new events and better PVP. In the end, I have my own concerns which I fear I am the only one seeing:

SUBJECT: Attack Power
Call me crazy, but from what I've seen of "Attack Power" (you know, that great looking little number that apparently describes whether or not your weapon is any good or not?) seems to be relatively useless. I've ran only a good 100 tests (not much) but from what I've seen, Attack Power hardly affects a thing. This makes that number above your weapon a total joke. Attack Power BARELY affects Variation Range of Damage, Max Damage and Accuracy. Now, before you ask if my "tests" were on enemies of varying levels, believe me they were not. Speaking of levels, it also appears that Attack Power does NOT increase your effectiveness (damage, accuracy, variation) against enemies or bosses of higher levels. I've even heard stories of people beating El Patron with a Rusty Cutlass!!! The reality is, your only hope as a level 37 such as myself, would be to level up to max level. SOMEHOW, this increases your overall damage and accuracy in ways that are not shown to the player in characteristics or statistics pages. Even so, as a max level, higher Attack Power is entirely irrelevant the way I see it. Here's a few examples of current Attack Power standards:

GUNS
Single Barrels, Triple Barrels and Muskets

The reality is that with current Attack Power settings, the damage difference between a Triple Barrel Pistol with 30 Attack, vs a Single Barrel Pistol or Musket with 70 Attack, has no clear difference in strength. The ONLY thing you MIGHT see different is Max Damage, and that isn't even consistent, OR relevant, considering that Triple Barrels don't necessarily NEED to charge each shot to max damage using Take Aim. They have the option to fire constantly without the Take Aim Ability, letting 3 of their shots (that never miss anyone of appropriate difficulty) do the same damage as 1 Single shot. You could also opt to charging the Take Aim bar HALFWAY on each shot, thereby still gaining good accuracy and significant damage increase while saving on time.
In short, the Triple Barrel Pistol would have the POTENTIAL to do more damage than 1 shot from a Single Barrel Pistol, only if it successfully landed all 3 shots in a clip. With lowered Attack Power, the Triple Barrel would have less ACCURACY, meaning that the chance to miss is ACTUALLY RELEVANT. It would also have MORE Variation Damage and LESS Max Damage. This is all completely fair, considering how easy it is for 3 shots to outweigh a single one. This provides the ability of OPTION to players, giving them two clear choices; the inaccurate pistol that COULD do more DPS..?... or the more accurate pistol that gives no TRUE GUARANTEE of doing Max Damage? This way, it's a choice.

On the subject of Muskets, I kinda hate it but it's true from what I see; muskets' only purpose in the current Attack Power system (PVE) is the Hex Breaker family for their unique anti-voodoo abilities that Pistols and Blunderbusses don't have. Other than that exact variant of musket, I fear that a weapon I would LOVE to use, is sadly useless. Muskets DO have a higher Max Damage than Single Barrel and Triple Barrel Pistols, true. What is ALSO true, is they have the same Minimum Damage as Pistols do. Due to their shot & load time, this makes them very easily outgunned by Single Barrel and Triple Barrel Pistols from a DPS standpoint. Yet Another issue caused by ineffective Attack Power. If Attack Power had more affect, then a Musket at 90 Attack Power would have more Minimum Damage AND less variation range between Minimum and Max damage. This would allow the Musket to still possibly be outgunned, but with one overwhelming factor that makes it all worth it; ACCURACY. With more effective Attack Power, Pistols would have much more of a chance to miss a shot than a Musket, EVEN WITH TAKE AIM. Frankly, guns only miss when fighting a VERY high level opponent compared to your own level. With more effective Attack Power, that would all change, and accuracy would be taken into affect. Thereby making Muskets viable in PVE while simultaneously pushing Triple Barrel Pistols off the throne and down to equal ground.

MELEE
Swords and Daggers

So I HAVE had a lot of practice with Swords and Daggers alike, but in the end I think it's almost self explanatory on what Attack Power has affected here; nothing. If it's possible to fight matched enemies while using lower level weapons (ranged or melee), without taking on any serious risk, then what's the point of higher Attack Power weapons? I mean for instance: Where's the downside in using a Drain Health Dagger that has 40 Attack, when an 80 Attack Cutlass only gets a Maximum of 10% More Damage on each hit? That may SOUND like a fair trade; 10% more damage per hit versus Drain Health, but that's out of hundreds of damage per hit. If the Drain Health ability were at its highest rank then that damage difference in the Cutlass would mean nothing. Which begs the question: How many swords do you see that AREN'T legendary/cursed and yet have more than 80 Attack Power? Not many. In the end, Attack Power needs to count for something, and higher ranking weapons need to be added to accompany it. Of course that IS just my opinion but, I'd love to hear if anyone agrees/disagrees.

CONCLUSION
I REALLY want to thank anyone who read this far into my post here. I may not be too advanced of a player yet, but I surely understand a lot and know decently what I'm talking about. I'm completely open to controversy and opposing opinions, not to mention any corrections or notifications of if my information may be a little inaccurate. Either way, my main goal is to know whether or not Attack Power is a problem, and if so, is anything being done about it? In my opinion, it would be GREAT if Attack Power mattered more, and if some effects on lower weapons were added to higher Attack Power weapons. Thanks, and please comment.

Understanding that you were not present during Disney's Pirates Online makes a ton of sense in attributing to the way your post was laid out. I'll run a little bit of backstory by to see if I can clear up any confusion before clarifying the original intent of this post.

In April 2010, Disney released what was known as the Loot Drops update, which introduced varying levels of weapons, including rarity, abiltiies, damage, and the likes to the game. This was all fine and dandy, but the previously Beta implemented PvP feature of the game was practically left in the dust aside from the later addition of PvP Infamy Rewards. Prior to this update, the six usable weapons were all implemented with static damage values.

However, when classes of weapons were introduced that created a dynamic gap in how the weapons were balanced, it created abysmally large balancing issues in comparison between, say, a Broadsword (Which would have previously only have been a cutlass) and a Throwing Knife (Previously would've been just a dagger.) Combine this with the differences in skill passives between weapons, and you're asking for balance problems.

Yes. The Attack Power of a weapon does make a difference, but is not as vast as the on-paper values would first have you believe.
(A good example of viewing statistical values of a weapon's damage output would be @Ned_Reddavis' weapon guides, example here as a better explanation of weapon power.)

However, weapon balance (as you've mentioned in numerous examples in the OP) is not only a touchy subject community wide, it is hard to truly balance the separate classes of weapons without first going back to the root of damage values from the weapons themselves, and having them change based on the weapon selected.

(Disclaimer, if this post seemed a bit all-over, I am quite tired. Feel free to reply asking for elaboration and I will try my best!)

Ah geez, I feel like a classic re-run now. I'm sure you've had to answer to plenty of people such as I who get a good month's playing under their belt and suddenly think they can help with complicated damage values. I honestly didn't realize it went that deep in a more calculative manner. I only figured that it was a general topic issue with values being something of a given ease but, clearly I didn't think that through.

I'll definitely look into that link you sent me, thank you for replying and sorry to disturb.

No worries! No question is a bad question, and I'm glad to see as a new player that you are delving so deep to try and figure out the innards of how this beloved game works! I'm sure in hours' time when the rest of the community wakes up you'll get some more feedback from other users on the same topic. Really, we're all working to find our way up a bread crumb trail, and we've only scratched the surface.

Besides, the lengthy and thought out posts are much more fun to read! ;)

Hey thanks. Nice to see a non-toxic community that's willing to teach a thing or two to people like me. xD Glad to be apart of it.

Wow! I am so happy to see that there is another individual as deeply interested in the damage values of these weapons and how they are balanced overall! I don't want to nitpick your post, which is clearly very well thought out, however I would have to say that some of your ideas need a better understanding (which is in no way your fault as the game doesn't give us much). As Misha has already pointed out, attack power does play a role in the overall damage of a weapon, and is rather significant considering some weapons essentially only have this factor to increase damage. From my extensive testing (and it can actually be found in the old POTCO code if you dig hard enough) I have found that attack power (A) changes weapon damage by this multiplicative factor:
(1+.005*A)
The highest attack power so far is 108, which means a damage factor increase of 1.54 times which is pretty significant. Given this is the way that the game calculates this, then for a 10% damage increase from a 40 attack power cutlass you would need a 64 attack power of the same cutlass, and not 80.

Anyway, there are a lot of nuances as you point out that change a weapon's damage output, but as Misha said the devs may need to look at the base damage of weapons first in order to truly balance them, though I think that there will always be some weapon class that is most desirable. Keep up this great discussion though, this is something that the game truly needs.

Yeah I definitely jumped the gun with this one. I honestly never do this kinda thing but I'd really like to. There's always been a side of me that REALLY wonders what weapons are truly most effective in certain instances. I mean there's gotta be dozens of scenarios and lots of weapons to match, not to mention variations in damage to calculate for that just makes everything even harder to calculate. In the end, the only thing that really holds me back is Mathematics, because this is right up that alley and I know nothing of it. xD I'll certainly work on it though. Thanks for your feedback and also thanks for that Attack Power thing, that's been killing me, but it's good to know it actually affects things.

I wouldn't say you jumped the gun like you mentioned. You raised a perfectly valid concern that some people here have. Not me (yet) but definitely some people. I won't get into specific base attack data values, since that's been talked about already here plenty, but I will go into the "morality" issue instead.

Community-set PvE etiquette and the PvP honor system are the key things to remember here when it comes to addressing the balance concern for both PvE and PvP.

PvE

Weapon balance doesn't negatively affect us players under most PvE circumstances. Stronger weapons some players are in possession of usually work in the favor of people farming bosses faster, thus helping other players quicker and getting nice loot... Most of the time. The only time PvE weapon balancing does negatively affect us is when somebody with say, Mercer's Pistol like I mentioned before, comes up and practically instantly evaporates a boss with a high-power crit take-aim with zero warning before we can even react, making us maybe miss a loot skull chest that could have contained a really nice weapon or clothing item. But things like that are quite rare for several reasons, and even when it happens you can usually ask somebody to use a slightly less powerful weapon and they'll comply for the sake of ensuring everyone gets several registered hits on the boss. Basically good PvE etiquette wins the day here.

PvP

As far as the potential for PvP issues, this community obviously generally goes by the honor system I mentioned, where all involved players agree beforehand what weapons will be legal in their match. If anybody uses a weapon not included in the list of approved weapons for the match, there's generally quite a large amount of dishonor that comes with that offense. In addition, even if the offender brags and tries to validate their "unlawful" victory, it is highly likely their victory will be considered invalid by the PvP community, and they will be less likely to be invited to further matches with those involved out of rightful spite. This is how it worked generally in PotCO, and I imagine the same virtues hold strong today for the most part, as I see evidence of weapon restriction agreements in chat all the time, but I could be wrong.

TL;DR

I get your concern, and I think there would be more of an argument to be made for weapon re-balancing if the community wasn't as good at side-stepping potential issues like this, but I'm just fine with how things are right now because it isn't really negatively affecting us for the most part as I mentioned.

I wouldn't say you jumped the gun like you mentioned. You raised a perfectly valid concern that some people here have. Not me (yet) but definitely some people. I won't get into specific base attack data values, since that's been talked about already here plenty, but I will go into the "morality" issue instead.

Community-set PvE etiquette and the PvP honor system are the key things to remember here when it comes to addressing the balance concern for both PvE and PvP.

PvE

Weapon balance doesn't negatively affect us players under most PvE circumstances. Stronger weapons some players are in possession of usually work in the favor of people farming bosses faster, thus helping other players quicker and getting nice loot... Most of the time. The only time PvE weapon balancing does negatively affect us is when somebody with say, Mercer's Pistol like I mentioned before, comes up and practically instantly evaporates a boss with a high-power crit take-aim with zero warning before we can even react, making us maybe miss a loot skull chest that could have contained a really nice weapon or clothing item. But things like that are quite rare for several reasons, and even when it happens you can usually ask somebody to use a slightly less powerful weapon and they'll comply for the sake of ensuring everyone gets several registered hits on the boss. Basically good PvE etiquette wins the day here.

PvP

As far as the potential for PvP issues, this community obviously generally goes by the honor system I mentioned, where all involved players agree beforehand what weapons will be legal in their match. If anybody uses a weapon not included in the list of approved weapons for the match, there's generally quite a large amount of dishonor that comes with that offense. In addition, even if the offender brags and tries to validate their "unlawful" victory, it is highly likely their victory will be considered invalid by the PvP community, and they will be less likely to be invited to further matches with those involved out of rightful spite. This is how it worked generally in PotCO, and I imagine the same virtues hold strong today for the most part, as I see evidence of weapon restriction agreements in chat all the time, but I could be wrong.

TL;DR

I get your concern, and I think there would be more of an argument to be made for weapon re-balancing if the community wasn't as good at side-stepping potential issues like this, but I'm just fine with how things are right now because it isn't really negatively affecting us for the most part as I mentioned.

On a moral standpoint it's very true, none of this is THAT important, but I suppose I kinda dare to dream (being as new of a player as I am). That being the case, I haven't quite given up on the idea that TLOPO could one day learn from its mistakes (no matter how small they are), and might one day actually fix any day-to-day bugs or just generally unfair ideas in development choices. I'm obviously not asking for all Bugs, Unbalances etc to be banished from the game or anything (cause that would be a LOT of work), but I'm just saying that it would be good to have a more active work ethic on the game, and possibly a little bit closer of a look on the finer things that can be fixed quicker. Whereas the larger stuff would take longer to fix, why not just start small and get some little things out of the way?

Of course I can't call this a small thing, balancing this kinda stuff is a constant effort with every new update and takes more than just development, it takes serious thought and consideration. Even before I realized my errors on this post, I knew that even if I was right and theoretically my thoughts were applied to the game, it wouldn't fix EVERYTHING. All this being considered, the game is surely great the way it is (communities and otherwise), but it can always get better. :D

Back