Announcement Attention Players: 32-bit Deprecation Warning

The Crew

TLOPO Staff
Hi, everyone!

The Legend of Pirates Online will soon no longer support 32-bit computers, thereby restricting the game to only run on 64-bit computers. If you are affected by this deprecation, you will receive a pop-up on the Avatar Chooser upon logging into the game; if you do not see the dialog upon logging into the game, you are not affected by this deprecation.

Unfortunately, if your computer is affected by this deprecation, the only way to be able to continue playing TLOPO will be to purchase a newer computer that is 64-bit.

There are several reasons why we have decided to stop supporting 32-bit computers, most notably is performance and reliability. There are also additional security benefits that we can take advantage of by compiling TLOPO for only 64-bit architecture.

For more information on the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit, please check out this link from Microsoft.

~ The Crew @ The Legend of Pirates Online

or more information on the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit, please check out this link from Microsoft.

Some more information that could also be of use;

If you’re not sure whether your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows—or even a 64-bit CPU—you can check from within Windows.

Windows 10
Head to Settings > System > About. Look to the right of the “System type” entry. If you see “64-bit operating system, x64-based processor,” your computer is running a 64-bit operating system. If you see “32-bit operating system, x64-based processor,” your computer is running a 32-bit operating system but is capable of running a 64-bit operating system.

Windows 7
Head to Control Panel > System and Security > System. Look at “System type” to see if you’re running a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. Windows 7’s Control Panel doesn’t show whether your CPU is 64-bit capable, so you’ll want to perform an online search for the processor name—displayed on the System screen—to find out whether it’s a 64-bit CPU if you’re currently running 32-bit Windows.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask away. Myself and many others are willing to help out.

You can download Windows 10 for free, but it will have a watermark and I believe you can't access some of the personalization features. So if you are only downloading Windows 10 64-bit for TLOPO, you could put an unactivated copy on a partition of your current drive or on a separate drive in a dual boot setup. Unless you do not mind the watermark, then you can just replace your current OS with it.
If you do not want to shell out your hard earned cash to activate Windows 10, but you want to activate your copy, then you can buy a cheap license from a third-party seller for much less.

Once TLOPO supports Linux, which should not be too far away (I hope), you can get a free 64-bit Linux distribution to run TLOPO. I'm not sure that many people would want to use Linux as their daily driver so Linux could also be used in a dual boot setup in the same manner as Windows.

Since “the change,” can anyone comment upon whether or not (on average) more issues are occurring in-game or less?

I know this ^ inquiry is kinda iffy for TLOPO to maybe publicly discuss but POTCO was originally dev to compensate for a “wide” range of (OLD) computer systems and I guess what I fear is if all of that is tweaked/changed maybe perhaps such change would be enough to eventually cause greater instability.

Thoughts? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since “the change,” can anyone comment upon whether or not (on average) more issues are occurring in-game or less?

I know this ^ inquiry is kinda iffy for TLOPO to maybe publicly discuss but POTCO was originally dev to compensate for a “wide” range of (OLD) computer systems and I guess what I fear is if all of that is tweaked/changed maybe perhaps such change would be enough to eventually cause greater instability.

NVM. I failed to understand that only the launcher itself has thus far experienced the change. (The game itself is still awaiting the conversion).

I don't think there is much risk of this creating greater instability, because it should allow the devs to streamline things. Backwards compatibility is always nice, but it often makes maintaining a system a lot harder.

Some more information that could also be of use;

If you’re not sure whether your computer has a 64-bit version of Windows—or even a 64-bit CPU—you can check from within Windows.

Windows 10
Head to Settings > System > About. Look to the right of the “System type” entry. If you see “64-bit operating system, x64-based processor,” your computer is running a 64-bit operating system. If you see “32-bit operating system, x64-based processor,” your computer is running a 32-bit operating system but is capable of running a 64-bit operating system.

Windows 7
Head to Control Panel > System and Security > System. Look at “System type” to see if you’re running a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. Windows 7’s Control Panel doesn’t show whether your CPU is 64-bit capable, so you’ll want to perform an online search for the processor name—displayed on the System screen—to find out whether it’s a 64-bit CPU if you’re currently running 32-bit Windows.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask away. Myself and many others are willing to help out.
Windows XP has a OS package that is 64 bit. It is playable but may not meet the specified minimal system requirements.

My thoughts exactly. Changing this to support only 64 bit operating systems is not the way to fix these instability issues in fact as mentioned to my last thread there is traces of memory leaks with in the gameplay. The game can cope very much less virtual/physical memory usage like it was back in POTCO times.

My thoughts exactly. Changing this to support only 64 bit operating systems is not the way to fix these instability issues in fact as mentioned to my last thread there is traces of memory leaks with in the gameplay. The game can cope very much less virtual/physical memory usage like it was back in POTCO times.
Actually, 32-bit operating systems can only address up to 4 GB of memory. Having a 64-bit operating system allows you to have more and thus be able to combat any memory leaks and increase stability.

I doubt the main goal of requiring a 64-bit operating system was to increase stability, although it can help and should not cause greater instability.

Actually, 32-bit operating systems can only address up to 4 GB of memory. Having a 64-bit operating system allows you to have more and thus be able to combat any memory leaks and increase stability.

I doubt the main goal of requiring a 64-bit operating system was to increase stability, although it can help and should not cause greater instability.
True. Now we will get 8 to 16 gig memory leaks.

I think the plan is to eventually move the whole game onto 64bit.
Launcher is 64 bit concurrently they do plan to interpret the client to be 64 bit compatible allowing the developers to do more to streamline memory above 4 GB usage limit apart from 32 bit build. Depending on their operating system and CPU compatibility they prefer using the 32 bit client if they can't afford a 64 bit. It may become a deprecated optional download to be able to play the game under physical specification limits.

Last edited:
Back