Suggestion Ban select pirates from your ship

Eric Sailcutter

Pirate Lord
With all the talk about a boot option and afk leeches it got me thinking and I had this thought: Maybe it would work out better to ban known trolls and afk ers from your ship kind of like the way ignor works. You could have a not friends list that could be populated by using the near by list. Then any pirate on that list would be unable to board your ship. The list could be updated and corrected as you see fit. I think people will be much less likely to feel abused or cheated if they never were on your ship in the first place than they might after being booted. Details would still need to be worked out but what do you think?

Last edited:
I did hear another player suggesting this same concept not long ago...
Excellent idea!

With all the talk about a boot option and afk leeches it got me thinking and I had this thought: Maybe it would work out better to ban known trolls and afk ers from your ship kind of like the way ignor works. You could have a not friends list that could be populated by using the near by list. Then any pirate on that list would be unable to board your ship. The list could be updated and corrected as you see fit. I think people will be much less likely to feel abused or cheated if they never were on your ship in the first place than they might after being booted. Details would still need to be worked out but what do you think?
this will not happen

I can understand how some people might feel cheated...help get a full hold and then get booted. Word of mouth is still the best option here. If word gets around that a certain pirate cheats other players like this, then they will find it much more difficult to find or be accepted into a crew. If a pirate goes afk on someone else's boat and hasn't communicated it and gotten approval from the captain...then the boot is the captain's judgement and right. After all, it's their ship. If the captain goes afk like that...well, mutiny!!!

I can understand how some people might feel cheated...help get a full hold and then get booted. Word of mouth is still the best option here. If word gets around that a certain pirate cheats other players like this, then they will find it much more difficult to find or be accepted into a crew. If a pirate goes afk on someone else's boat and hasn't communicated it and gotten approval from the captain...then the boot is the captain's judgement and right. After all, it's their ship. If the captain goes afk like that...well, mutiny!!!
Eric does not mention booting anyone from his ship, nor cheating anyone aboard out of any loot.
Eric wants to have control over who can board his ship, based on a list he creates himself and only he can use for his ship (other pirates would have to make their own lists for their own ships).
Essentially, Eric wants to ban players from boarding his ship who have shown themselves, and Eric, that they are not contributing members of his crew.
No one gets banned, no one is cheated out of any loot.
You might want to read what he posted above, to be clear on what he said...
As for pirates gaining a poor reputation, well, they would have no one but themselves to blame for that.

Eric does not mention booting anyone from his ship, nor cheating anyone aboard out of any loot.
Eric wants to have control over who can board his ship, based on a list he creates himself and only he can use for his ship (other pirates would have to make their own lists for their own ships).
Essentially, Eric wants to ban players from boarding his ship who have shown themselves, and Eric, that they are not contributing members of his crew.
No one gets banned, no one is cheated out of any loot.
You might want to read what he posted above, to be clear on what he said...
As for pirates gaining a poor reputation, well, they would have no one but themselves to blame for that.

Alright...except unless you always have your ships set to Public, then the people boarding your ships are friends, or crew, or whatever you set it to. We already have the option of setting what pirates get to board our ships. As for people feeling cheated...I pulled that straight from his post.

I think people will be much less likely to feel abused or cheated if they never were on your ship in the first place than they might after being booted.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't get to control who gets to sail with him. I'm saying the mechanic is already there.

Alright...except unless you always have your ships set to Public, then the people boarding your ships are friends, or crew, or whatever you set it to. We already have the option of setting what pirates get to board our ships. As for people feeling cheated...I pulled that straight from his post.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't get to control who gets to sail with him. I'm saying the mechanic is already there.
I'm still thinking yer not getting it.
Eric wants to ban people from boarding his ship, at his leisure. Not boot them.
He suggests banning them is preferable to booting them, as booting can be abused, cause hard feelings, etc.
Basically, booting is bad, banning is good.
That option does not exist in the game where a captain can decide who can board his ship from the public. It's either you let everyone on from public, or you let no one on from public.
Most of the pirates boarding ships on public are good players, but alas, some are not.
Eric wants to control which bad pirates he does not want boarding his ship from public, so he can avoid the bilge rats and do-nothings who invariably plague ships, filling out the crew and not contributing, etc.
Please reply further and I'll elaborate more as needed...

I'm still thinking yer not getting it.
Eric wants to ban people from boarding his ship, at his leisure. Not boot them.
He suggests banning them is preferable to booting them, as booting can be abused, cause hard feelings, etc.
Basically, booting is bad, banning is good.
That option does not exist in the game where a captain can decide who can board his ship from the public. It's either you let everyone on from public, or you let no one on from public.
Most of the pirates boarding ships on public are good players, but alas, some are not.
Eric wants to control which bad pirates he does not want boarding his ship from public, so he can avoid the bilge rats and do-nothings who invariably plague ships, filling out the crew and not contributing, etc.
Please reply further and I'll elaborate more as needed...
I'm really still for giving captains the boot option but have heard so many claims that it will invite abuse that I came up with this. I've had trolls and rude AFKers as I'm sure you also have had. My goal is to allow the public in general while stopping a select few that have caused havoc or have been rude. I have always realized that you can allow only friends, crew, and /or guild members but most of us at least occasionally want to go public. You meet people and can enjoy a run with crew even when none of your friends are on by allowing the public. This is just an idea that I thought addressed people's concerns about abuse of the boot option.

Then I was understanding it correctly...this is applying to making ships public. In that case, I agree with the sentiment, as you would have to friend nearly everyone in the game to make it feasible otherwise.

Then I was understanding it correctly...this is applying to making ships public. In that case, I agree with the sentiment, as you would have to friend nearly everyone in the game to make it feasible otherwise.
The idea is so you can allow everyone but those you take exception to. If you sail much then you've had some bad experiences with crew on occasion. I hope to get the developers to add some way to stop bad eggs from harassing people aboard their own ship. It's not something I would use much but there have been a few incidents that would not be repeated with this option available.

We need the option to simply boot off or block players from boarding that arent doing any work. Pirates that board ships over and over and dont do any work should not be entitled to any loot they didnt help earn if that is the captains choice. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Great idea. ;) Problem which came to my own mind, right off the bat, are below (otherwise, it would be a 'great' option to have as I realize you are only wishing for Captains to be granted a level of protection for their crew/themselves/the sailing experience):
  1. It could introduce a certain level of selectiveness/biasness into the game which wasn't initially intended (the pick-and-choose scenario is rampant enough in real life for a lot of 'young' kids and gamers)
  2. It fosters a certain level of division where player's aren't given the opportunity to work things out with others they do have a BEEF with
The fact of the matter is, when you are forced to deal with people online (whether through a game or a forums, as examples) the odds are highly to one's favor for someone to purposefully do things wrong against you. If there was a way to assure complete accountability and/or ownership over another's actions, that would be one thing but...this rarely occurs.

*The very best thing I feel others can do (online) is to lead themselves in a way which encourages forgiveness of even the highest perpetrators. (As a reminder, even some of the most 'notorious' POTCO hackers have publicly come forth on this forums to reconcile differences with the community according to their own actions). - It's not easy, for sure, on how to solve problems with other people online; shrugs.

Great idea. ;) Problem which came to my own mind, right off the bat, are below (otherwise, it would be a 'great' option to have as I realize you are only wishing for Captains to be granted a level of protection for their crew/themselves/the sailing experience):
  1. It could introduce a certain level of selectiveness/biasness into the game which wasn't initially intended (the pick-and-choose scenario is rampant enough in real life for a lot of 'young' kids and gamers)
  2. It fosters a certain level of division where player's aren't given the opportunity to work things out with others they do have a BEEF with
The fact of the matter is, when you are forced to deal with people online (whether through a game or a forums, as examples) the odds are highly to one's favor for someone to purposefully do things wrong against you. If there was a way to assure complete accountability and/or ownership over another's actions, that would be one thing but...this rarely occurs.

*The very best thing I feel others can do (online) is to lead themselves in a way which encourages forgiveness of even the highest perpetrators. (As a reminder, even some of the most 'notorious' POTCO hackers have publicly come forth on this forums to reconcile differences with the community according to their own actions). - It's not easy, for sure, on how to solve problems with other people online; shrugs.
I can agree with what you said, up to the point about the most egregious POTCO hackers. Not that I disagree with that aspect, but I really haven't seen that yet. Perhaps you might point us to that conclusion with an example or two, not that you have to, of course.
I've yet to see any remorse in any of the do-nothings that board ships, but I'm willing to accept it anyway.

No, when you open it to public by choice, it's anyone playing at the time. What he seems to be asking is the ability to open to public with a ignore list from previous pirates that showed they weren't fit for his ship. It's either open to the public or not open to the public.You can have friends and guilds in any combo. The only way to meet new worthy pirates is to open to public and take the chance.

How this would work to the ignored pirates I don't know. When you ignore someone on chat, do they stop seeing your chat too?
So if I have a pirate on my omission manifest, would my ship not show up in launch screen to that particular pirate. These are the mechanics the devs have to figure out if something like this is to be added to the game.

We'll see how long this thread lasts with this discussion.

I'm really still for giving captains the boot option but have heard so many claims that it will invite abuse that I came up with this. I've had trolls and rude AFKers as I'm sure you also have had. My goal is to allow the public in general while stopping a select few that have caused havoc or have been rude. I have always realized that you can allow only friends, crew, and /or guild members but most of us at least occasionally want to go public. You meet people and can enjoy a run with crew even when none of your friends are on by allowing the public. This is just an idea that I thought addressed people's concerns about abuse of the boot option.
We've been through the 'abuse' claim before with capt booting and 100% if the commenters who shouted abuse were AFK players and multi accounts who would directly be effected by a boot option. Regular pirates who do their job have no fear of booting and a capt actually doing this as a abuse would be an extremely minuscule population of sailors. I think too many people are confusing pve sailing with pvp sailing where all sorts of abuse goes on. And furthermore, there's a report abuse option in the game already and it wouldn't be difficult probably to add the same kind of penalty rules already in place for one more form of abuse.

Of course this is my opinion on that.

If you want to open your ship to public then accept the consequences. It's like if you pick up a hitchhiker, you never what you are gonna get. Solutions do exist. Just open your ship to friends and guild if you have such a problem with people going afk. Another option is to start a crew before you go sailing. You could also port your ship the moment you feel someone is not putting in the effort you require or have gone afk. I honestly do not understand all this banter about controlling who boards when your ship is open to public. All you are gonna get eventually is the ability to boot and that is it. I think what you are thinking of is a permanent ignore list. I know on Wow if you put someone on ignore and que up for random dungeons you will not be grouped with that person. I don't think something similar could be implemented here because of the way the game is set up. As for me, no one gets on me ships.

I'm all for forgiveness and mostly against elitism. I don't think that this idea is promoting intolerance or elitism. It's just a way to keep known problems from recurring. I and many others would like to meet people through opening our ships to the public but at the same time want a way to keep people that have proven to be trouble or just dead weight off our ships. I certainly understand that mistakes happen and am willing to listen to what people have to say. I think this idea is very much in keeping with how both Disney and TLOPO have developed the game. It would be much like the ignor function.

I would love this option lol if they do this hopefully we can add a good number of ppl.
There have only been about 10 pirates that I would not like to see on my ship again and I wouldn't anticipate having a large list but in my mind a 150 limit on size seems consistent with other parts of the game. I wouldn't be banning people for being afk once or twice, I'm more after those that have been overtly rude trolls or are serial afk ers. I hope to exclude them without going to the trouble of reporting them and without getting them in trouble with management.

Back