Barbossa's "No Guns" Rule

We all know that in POTCO you can't use guns on other humans. The reason why is because of the code. But, in Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End, Captain Teague, the keeper of the code, shoots one of the pirate lord's translators. So this must not be in the code in the movies. But I thought up of why this rule was in POTCO. One of the many criticisms for video games these days are that they are too violent. Many games today rely on killing people with guns. Disney wanted to make POTCO a kid-friendly game. So in POTCO there is no blood and no killing actual people with guns. What do you think of this theory?
:pirate ship:

I agree completely. That's also why I think they made you undead for pvp, so there wouldn't be blood or shooting at a human or anything

Good catch! :daggermouth:

...One of the many criticisms for video games these days are that they are too violent. Many games today rely on killing people with guns. Disney wanted to make POTCO a kid-friendly game. So in POTCO there is no blood and no killing actual people with guns. What do you think of this theory?
Concerning Disney, below has been my response on the matter:
  • https://piratesforums.co/threads/potc-armada-of-the-darned.8081/#post-152923
*It's clear that with Disney, those intellectual properties which do encompass themselves around 1.) storytelling, and 2.) bringing "families" closer together has become key objectives with just about everything they set out to do.

Unfortunately with "Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the darned," this was not the case (along with their own miscalculation towards the acceptance of their 'Tron' game). :mad:

Agreed.

cooltext125232513229595.png

(sorry for necro but this is still relevant)

Honestly it wouldn't hurt anything to be able to use your gun on any kind of enemies, as long as they keep blood and gore out of it (which they have done a good job of, most other games with swords, daggers, and grenades are at least a little bloddy).

It was the code in POTC, however, Edward Teague was known for taking the lives of people if they did not follow the code. Pirates could NOT attack Pirates. The only reason why Teague killed the guy is because he disobeyed the code, and if you remember, he said 'The code is the law'. Also, Disney didn't want spawn killers :p

Teague wasn't the only one who used a gun on other people though!

For example I can think of 3 events from the movies off the top of my head:
  • Sparrows crew and Barbossas crew shooting at each other from the decks of their boats
  • Sparrow shooting Barbossas after the curse was lifted
  • Mercer shooting that girl in the Chinese pirate place

Last edited:
In the interest of sticking with original gameplay, we are currently enforcing the "stick to the code"rule with guns as was done in POTCO. No near term plans to deviate from this; add it to the list of who-knows-what-will-change long term.

A year and a half later with now a complete open beta, has the code of guns status getting a new look at from devs?
I think with no blood and just falling back like all do now, we should be able to use guns on humans, as they always shoot at us with no worry about a code. They just want to kill us period. The only difference is we go to jail instead of dying. But humans shoot at pirates.
Tlopo already has it in place to not shoot other players, it may not be difficult to keep that with innocent vendors and such, but have it know enemies.

>you can chop people up with swords
>you can have a swarm of locusts come and bite them to death
>you can sink their ship and then they die of drowning if the blood loss from all of the shrapnel flying everywhere doesn't kill them first
>you can burn them to death with magic
>you can blow them up with a hand grenade
>you can throw a chemical weapon at them and poison them to death

when you think of all of these things, no guns doesn't really make much sense

About the clearest explanation and reasoning to have guns.
Also, you forgot we can pin cushion them with like 10 knives at one time.

Also, could you explain that international talk like a pirate award? I just started seeing it.

Back