Becketts Vs Mercers

kekevin98

Dockworker
I was wondering if they plan on buffing the becketts pistol anytime soon because I have been noticing that mercers does the exact same damage as becketts when it comes to steel shot. For example, when I loot at cicatriz i usually do 8509 and one of my guild mates was also doing 8509 with his mercers. It just doesn't make sense how mercer can do exact damage without having the +3 steel shot boost. if anyone has any idea about this let me know :)

Beckett's Info
d530310b626f60561557a5242994d0ca.png

Mercer's Info
97203748d9fe1182a28e6dc94ea68a92.png

I believe this could help.

Mercer's +3 Take aim boost has roughly the same effect as Beckett's +3 Steel Shot boost. They both boost the pistol's damage by the same amount. So yeah, they both do the same damage except when mercers has a critical hit. I honestly don't know if mercers should get nerfed, beckett's get buffed, or if tlopo should make any changes to the guns at all.

Mercer's +3 Take aim boost has roughly the same effect as Beckett's +3 Steel Shot boost. They both boost the pistol's damage by the same amount. So yeah, they both do the same damage except when mercers has a critical hit. I honestly don't know if mercers should get nerfed, beckett's get buffed, or if tlopo should make any changes to the guns at all.
they honestly should buff becketts at least because then whats the point of farming it if mercer is that much better? beckett should have higher consistent hits then mercers when it comes to steel shot

Beckett's Info
View attachment 118010
Mercer's Info
View attachment 118011
I believe this could help.
Back in the day, it looked like mercers had 4 items in it's list. Feint 3. Is that still there? They're both legendary, so how or why should one be that much better than the other. Both tedious to loot. If becketts was a fame, then I can see a problem. Is one faster than the other? Because that to me would be the decision maker of which one I'd want to deploy. Maybe they should have differences to accomidate different play styles. Pretty sure the game designers have reasons for the numbers. And steel shot costs gold and has to be refilled. What's the outcome if both use free ammo? Perhaps that is also a factor.

If I'm not mistaken a few pirates have did some pretty extensive calculations on Beckett's and Mercer's and found out that (against living enemies at least ) that Beckett's actually has a better damage over an extended period of time than Mercer's does due to its consistency. I'll see if I can find the post I believe it was on one of the threads @Beggar posted a while back about legendaries

I think both of the pistols are in pretty good shape right now based off of the numbers I've seen, they both have solid use cases. I do feel that Mercer's will have a bit of an advantage if new more powerful undead enemies get released though

If I'm not mistaken a few pirates have did some pretty extensive calculations on Beckett's and Mercer's and found out that (against living enemies at least ) that Beckett's actually has a better damage over an extended period of time than Mercer's does due to its consistency. I'll see if I can find the post I believe it was on one of the threads @Beggar posted a while back about legendaries
Yeah I think this was using old or misinterpreted data. I believe that pretty much right after damage numbers became static everyone saw that they did the same base damage as each other, however, it was @Ned_Reddavis who figured this out before damage numbers were changed and before anyone else using his brain and equations tbh. Think he got Beggar to knock down Beckett's in the Legendary Tier list thread (the thread you are referring to https://piratesforums.co/threads/legendary-weapon-tier-list.27236/post-373519)

I think both of the pistols are in pretty good shape right now based off of the numbers I've seen, they both have solid use cases. I do feel that Mercer's will have a bit of an advantage if new more powerful undead enemies get released though
well that's the thing, even with enemies that take damage with steel shot mercers is still better then becketts. They do the exact same damage consistently but the mercer can crit making it alot better... I currently took a break from cicatriz to farm mercers now because I feel like becketts is just not as strong. I rather do the same damage as beckett but have the chance to deal some nice crits along the way.

Yes, they do the same damage if you use Steel Shot and fully charge take aim and you don’t get a crit on Mercer’s. With any other shot and fully charged take aim Mercer’s is better and of course with fully changed take aim and a critical Mercer’s is better. This all leads to the fact that most people consider Mercer’s to be the best gun in the game. The only way you can get an advantage with Beckett’s over Mercer’s to not use fully charged take aim with Steel Shot with both; in cases where you don’t quite need the full potential of the guns Beckett’s can reload to the needed damage level faster. I feel that all this is totally fine, one gun should be the best and it’s Mercer’s, please let’s not try to even them out like what, to my horror, they have done to the Copperhead.

The only way you can get an advantage with Beckett’s over Mercer’s to not use fully charged take aim with Steel Shot with both; in cases where you don’t quite need the full potential of the guns Beckett’s can reload to the needed damage level faster. I feel that all this is totally fine, one gun should be the best and it’s Mercer’s, please let’s not try to even them out like what

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between a non fully charged take aim and a fully charged take aim. They both use the take aim skill and are both impacted by the buff, Mercers still will do more damage. The only way Beckett's beats out Mercers is with a normal "shoot" with absolutely no charge at all since the take aim buff on mercers has no effect on this but Beckett's steel shot will still apply. But why anyone is using the shoot skill with anything other than a repeater pistol is beyond me. Mercers is just becketts but better in every way with no downsides or trade offs.

This makes me think that Becketts should be altered in some way.

It is my belief that every legendary should hold a purpose, be viable, and unique to other legendaries. With Beckett's being the same weapon type (single shot pistol), dropping from a boss with the same HP as the boss that drops Mercer's, and with both of them being added to the game on the same day, I think that one being so hilariously better than the other under these circumstances to be pretty weird.
Regardless though i'm not too upset by this but it'd be nice to see it be changed in some way.

I'm pretty sure there's no difference between a non fully charged take aim and a fully charged take aim. They both use the take aim skill and are both impacted by the buff, Mercers still will do more damage. The only way Beckett's beats out Mercers is with a normal "shoot" with absolutely no charge at all since the take aim buff on mercers has no effect on this but Beckett's steel shot will still apply. But why anyone is using the shoot skill with anything other than a repeater pistol is beyond me. Mercers is just becketts but better in every way with no downsides or trade offs.

This makes me think that Becketts should be altered in some way.

It is my belief that every legendary should hold a purpose, be viable, and unique to other legendaries. With Beckett's being the same weapon type (single shot pistol), dropping from a boss with the same HP as the boss that drops Mercer's, and with both of them being added to the game on the same day, I think that one being so hilariously better than the other under these circumstances to be pretty weird.
Regardless though i'm not too upset by this but it'd be nice to see it be changed in some way.
With Steel Shot and no critical hit on Mercer’s and anything less than fully changed take aim Beckett’s should out perform Mercer’s, the closer to fully charged take aim is the closer the 2 guns should be. This is a very minor advantage of Beckett’s which is quite specific and not likely to influence anyone into preferring Beckett’s. I just want to point out that there is a scenario where Beckett’s is better, it’s not something that would be easy to utilize and requires a very specific circumstance. I think there are lots of legendaries that are far from uniquely capable already in the game, all four legendary sabres for example, so I see no president for that but I do agree that it’s desirable. Tbh I think all legendaries should have a unique weapon skill which wasn’t even the case in potco, I don’t think the developers should change the existing weapons at all but wish that they would adopt such a policy for all new legendaries to be released.

With Steel Shot and no critical hit on Mercer’s and anything less than fully changed take aim Beckett’s should out perform Mercer’s, the closer to fully charged take aim is the closer the 2 guns should be. This is a very minor advantage of Beckett’s which is quite specific and not likely to influence anyone into preferring Beckett’s. I just want to point out that there is a scenario where Beckett’s is better, it’s not something that would be easy to utilize and requires a very specific circumstance. I think there are lots of legendaries that are far from uniquely capable already in the game, all four legendary sabres for example, so I see no president for that but I do agree that it’s desirable. Tbh I think all legendaries should have a unique weapon skill which wasn’t even the case in potco, I don’t think the developers should change the existing weapons at all but wish that they would adopt such a policy for all new legendaries to be released.
I could be wrong about Beckett’s having a speed advantage, I’ve always assumed and not tested that the take aim boost was averaged in over the charge time and not immediately applied, charges from 0 to 8 vs charges from 3 to 8. Has anyone tested this? If it charges from +3 to +8 on Mercer’s then it is true that Mercer’s is superior or equal in all instances, if it charges from 0 to +8 then Beckett’s has a speed advantage when using Steel Shot.

Last edited:
I could be wrong about Beckett’s having a speed advantage, I’ve always assumed and not tested that the take aim boost was averaged in over the charge time and not immediately applied, charges from 0 to 8 vs charges from 3 to 8. Has anyone tested this? If it charges from +3 to +8 on Mercer’s then it is true that Mercer’s is superior or equal in all instances, if it charges from 0 to +8 then Beckett’s has a speed advantage when using Steel Shot.
A full charged take aim boost obviously does more damage than a non fully charged one, but one that is charged up for less than a second is still affected by mercer's take aim boost meaning that in any instance where you aim your pistol at all, mercers will deal more damage than becketts. With take aim just naturally dealing more damage than shoot, even if you charge it up for less than a second, a player should only be using that skill if they have a single shot pistol. This is ultimately the reason Mercer's comes out on top.
I don’t think the developers should change the existing weapons at all
This might be off topic but I've seen you throw around this belief on other threads and I don't get this mentality at all. The game is in beta and it's clear the developers have a pretty difficult time with balancing weapons that they add to the game. If the devs have a chance to improve the balance of the game after the fact I think they should take it. It just seems silly to oppose any change made to the game on principle, even if the change benefits people more than it harms them. In any case, buckle up because with the nade nerf and the staff buff coming, (among other, bigger things) this game is gonna take a massive turn from a project set out to faithfully recreate POTCO when it closed.

There are several reasons/things that I think/believe about the gamie balance and individual weapons that many do not share with me. The main one that pertains to this subject is that as long as the weapon is not game breaking, doesn’t overshadow all other weapons regardless of weapon type, I don’t believe that any one weapon is seriously affecting the game balance. If I thought that Mercer’s being more powerful than Beckett’s affected the game balance in any meaningful way I would be against adding any new weapons unless there was a massive game weapons update like El Patron’s Weapons was in which many weapons were introduced at the same time so as to more carefully and deliberately reset the game balance. I feel that very few players would disagree that Beckett’s as it is is powerful enough to merit the legendary status and since there are many weapons in the game, most in fact, of the same rank and type that are not objectively equal in any possible sense I feel it is not unprecedented that they are not more balanced. I do agree that it would be highly desirable for the developers to do some work on eventually rebalancing the very top level weapons but I much prefer that be done through the introduction of new weapons rather than with existing ones. I feel that the developers did well in this regard introducing the 2 pistols in question and the 2 dolls, although the dolls may not have been powerful enough to put them on par with the guns and top level broadswords. In the gun’s case I’m fine with one being better than the other and do think that they have risen to the level of the top broadswords and so am satisfied with them as they are. Of course they could have been better by making them more diverse in abilities but I feel that they have been out long enough now that it is unfair to their owners to mess with them.

Last edited:
I do agree that it would be highly desirable for the developers to do some work on eventually rebalancing the very top level weapons but I much prefer that be done through the introduction of new weapons rather than with existing ones.
I think it's an unwise decision for the developers to attempt to bury their mistakes with the constant flow of new legendary weapons rather than remedying the current balance issues here and now by altering the weapons they've created from scratch and put in the game themselves.
I feel that the developers did well in this regard introducing the 2 pistols
Introducing an update the created 2 identical legendary pistols was just a dumb idea anyway imo. Should have been at least a different gun type if not a different weapon such as a staff, dagger or nade. That's besides the point though.
Of course they could have been better by making them more diverse in abilities but I feel that they have been out long enough now that it is unfair to their owners to mess with them.
I don't think it's unfair for the owners at all to have Beckett's be altered in some way to make it more comparable to Mercer's whether that be raising it's attack or introducing a more useful stat set. In fact, this thread was created by an owner of Beckett's for that exact reason.

One reason I find this whole thing annoying is mostly due to the circumstances. TLOPO decides to release two single shot pistols on the same day with identical stats but critical hit and take aim slapped on one of them which makes the other one massively worse. They literally drop from identical bosses.
If tlopo had decided to make Beckett's pistol some random blunder named after a Pirate Lord or something, I would have been entirely okay with that and it would have been a lot more special. I don't really care how good beckett's is really. I just want all legendaries to be unique and have their place, especially when they come out on the same day and are reskins of each other. Id rather that legendaries not be created for the sake of adding more legendaries to find but rather they be added because the tlopo team has an actual good idea for one. I get that some legendaries will naturally be worse/more boring than others, but im not looking forward to the day when this game has 40+ legendaries with most of them being lame things like becketts or silver striker.

Im not a designer at TLOPO though so maybe they have a good reason for doing this. Perhaps it fits into their upcoming talents endgame system thing in some way. Ill just continue making custom concepts of legendaries that I think would be good additions to the game in the custom weapon cards thread :p

Last edited:
I find it highly doubtful that there are any reasons beyond for the fun of it that they introduced these two pistols with the stats they have and I agree that they could have made them better, my thinking on better is more diverse and doesn’t really match your thoughts on that, but I am not annoyed or even slightly unhappy with what they did with them. We just don’t have the same perspective on it but I respect your opinion on it as I know you to be a great, kind, and fair player. It’s good to see other points of view.

Last edited:
There are several reasons/things that I think/believe about the gamie balance and individual weapons that many do not share with me. The main one that pertains to this subject is that as long as the weapon is not game breaking, doesn’t overshadow all other weapons regardless of weapon type, I don’t believe that any one weapon is seriously affecting the game balance. If I thought that Mercer’s being more powerful than Beckett’s affected the game balance in any meaningful way I would be against adding any new weapons unless there was a massive game weapons update like El Patron’s Weapons was in which many weapons were introduced at the same time so as to more carefully and deliberately reset the game balance. I feel that very few players would disagree that Beckett’s as it is is powerful enough to merit the legendary status and since there are many weapons in the game, most in fact, of the same rank and type that are not objectively equal in any possible sense I feel it is not unprecedented that they are not more balanced. I do agree that it would be highly desirable for the developers to do some work on eventually rebalancing the very top level weapons but I much prefer that be done through the introduction of new weapons rather than with existing ones. I feel that the developers did well in this regard introducing the 2 pistols in question and the 2 dolls, although the dolls may not have been powerful enough to put them on par with the guns and top level broadswords. In the gun’s case I’m fine with one being better than the other and do think that they have risen to the level of the top broadswords and so am satisfied with them as they are. Of course they could have been better by making them more diverse in abilities but I feel that they have been out long enough now that it is unfair to their owners to mess with them.
I was under the impression that the take aim boost isn't given until full charge, much like all the sword buffs. Or the staffs and burn skull attack. None of those seem to give additional or any damage boost unless fully charged. Unless guns are vastly different.

I was under the impression that the take aim boost isn't given until full charge, much like all the sword buffs. Or the staffs and burn skull attack. None of those seem to give additional or any damage boost unless fully charged. Unless guns are vastly different.
I’m uncertain, Rodger/Daniel thinks otherwise. I reckon that it would be kinda hard to test unless you have both weapons. Is there another pair of weapons with the same attack and one with a take aim boost and the other without? I can’t think of any. I also can’t think of any other way to test it that is 100% conclusive. You?

I’m uncertain, Rodger/Daniel thinks otherwise. I reckon that it would be kinda hard to test unless you have both weapons. Is there another pair of weapons with the same attack and one with a take aim boost and the other without? I can’t think of any. I also can’t think of any other way to test it that is 100% conclusive. You?
Well, I don't do alts, but wouldn't that be one way, or stand side by side with someone on same enemy with same weapon. Or just use the same weapon on a enemy using each strike after each other. I would submit logic that if you use a shot without take aim and stay still with a target that doesn't move like a witchdoctor. You should see a repeat damage count. Then do full take aim, note the damage count if repeats. Then try take aim for a second and see if there's a diff. There should be a noticeable count between the three parameters or test shots. I think.

We're trying to ascertain whether take aim only pops at full charge or anywhere between start and full charge. Now if this action/buff reacts differently for different weapons, I'm at a loss and and it's all my birds fault.

Well, I don't do alts, but wouldn't that be one way, or stand side by side with someone on same enemy with same weapon. Or just use the same weapon on a enemy using each strike after each other. I would submit logic that if you use a shot without take aim and stay still with a target that doesn't move like a witchdoctor. You should see a repeat damage count. Then do full take aim, note the damage count if repeats. Then try take aim for a second and see if there's a diff. There should be a noticeable count between the three parameters or test shots. I think.

We're trying to ascertain whether take aim only pops at full charge or anywhere between start and full charge. Now if this action/buff reacts differently for different weapons, I'm at a loss and and it's all my birds fault.
Take aim provides a flat and simple damage buff for whenever you decide to hold down your mouse button to aim your gun, regardless of how long you actually hold down the button. Down below you can see that with each quick charge up attack it says i'm using the Take Aim skill, this is a simple way of knowing that your attacks are being affected by the amount of points you have in Take Aim, similar to how long volley works. It is not dependent on how long you hold down the button. For example, the skill itself doesn't add a take aim point for each second you hold down the gun.

this is a very crude way of testing this, but on the left there are 4 points put into take aim and on the right side there 8 points put into take aim. As you can see, the one on the right deals more damage since it has more points put into take aim despite them both being charged up for less than a second.

4.gif
8.gif

I could've probably done this test with a better gun, but I didn't think of that and this way works regardless.

Back