Believe It ... Or Not?

JadeOHayes

Site Founder
I was told that we can't have a Chrismas tree after New Year ...
I was told that we have to eat greens and black-eyed peas for good luck on New Year's day (green = money, peas = health? Whatever ... ) ...
I was told not to sweep the floor on New Year's day, because we would sweep the wealth ...
I was told not to wash clothes on New Year's day, because that's what we are gonna do all year long ... (eww, I guess that doesn't apply to a lot of other things, just imagine ... brush teeth, take a shower, etc.)
I was told it was good to rain on New Year's day, because it means the new year will be blessed ...

I know, I know ... so random, right? :facepalm::D ... :rumgone:

Yeah, I remember when I was a server that on New Years day we had to give EVERY guest a small soup dish of black-eyed peas. At first I thought my manager was joking. So here it was six in the morning and I'm preparing the server line for the onslaught of other servers getting ready to come in....and then came in the vats of these spotted peas....

Down in the south a lot of folks eat black eyed peas, cabbage, and hog jowl on New Years Day. The peas are for luck, the cabbage is lucky as well, and the hog is for prosperity. So, I hate the thought of eating hog jowl, so I make em with ham :yum: Odd, but it's just part of a traditon I suppose!

Back