Best Sailing Skills to use points on

Dylans

Swashbuckler
Afternoon,

I was curious. How many points do you have on each of your skills for sailing and why?

Reply to this thread with your answer.

This is a clip from my skillbuilding guide, however, I would recommend taking the 5 points from Treasure Sense and allocate them to Taskmaster, or spread them around as you wish.

ce2c1f879217df5fcaf16eb8deb642ec.png

Last edited:
This is a clip from my skill building guide, however, I would recommend taking the 5 points from Treasure Sense and allocate them to Taskmaster, or spread them around as you wish.

View attachment 113830

Could you link us to this skill building guide you've made? I"m curious to see where people are investing skill points and where points are being avoided. Thanks!

This has to be the worst sailing point allocation advice I could imagine, in my opinion.
The idea that one size fits all independent of the ship upgrade line you are planning or your preferred activities is particularly not helpful.

If I were you I would sail with people before taking their advice on how to allocate your points.
You need to determine if the person giving advice is any good at sailing or not.

Retraining can get expensive if you keep doing it over and over, especially if you are not swimming in gold.

Last edited:
I feel it is absolutely essential to use 5 points on both broadsides, wind catcher, and tacking. I also feel it is essential to use at least 1 point on full sail, come about, and open fire; more points on these occasionally but not essential. I also like task master a lot and use all my extra points on it. All the other skills are kinda optional or useless in the case of Treasure Sense. I retrain every now and then, not as often as cannoneering, and do things like add ramming speed or max come about.

Yeah, it just depends on your approach towards sailing and how readily you choose to rely upon sailing in-game. As @tiberias had mentioned, there is no true cookie-cutter (or mold) way of attributing your sailing skills as each person will have their own unique style and approach towards sailing.

Your best bet, besides asking around, is doing hard research on your own by utilizing the SEARCH option via this forums. There remain a ton of "sailing" threads here. ;) What had personally helped me really is to read up on what SVS/privateers were doing because in this way your skill points will be attributed to those areas important to all Captains, generally speaking. As such, areas of focus should include:

• Broadsides
  • Windcatcher
  • Come About
  • Tacking
This read pertains to specifically SVS but, it might be useful for yourself and others to read up on too - in addition to what others provided.

This has to be the worst sailing point allocation advice I could imagine, in my opinion.
The idea that one size fits all independent of the ship upgrade line you are planning or your preferred activities is particularly not helpful.

If I were you I would sail with people before taking their advice on how to allocate your points.
You need to determine if the person giving advice is any good at sailing or not.

Retraining can get expensive if you keep doing it over and over, especially if you are not swimming in gold.

The link I added was to my BEGINNERS guide for skillbuilding, giving general options and different opinions. You are entirely free to post your own Skill builds for more specified sailing. :)

The link I added was to my BEGINNERS guide for skillbuilding, giving general options and different opinions. You are entirely free to post your own Skill builds for more specified sailing. :)

Oh I already have, just not on this forum.

I got 5 on both left and right broadsides, 5 on windcatcher and tacking, 5 on taskmaster, and 4 on both full sail and ramming speed. There's probably no best way to use your sailing skill points but the way I have mine makes steering a war sloop storm chaser better for me.

Back