Guide Beta Key 101

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but b/c I'm jut using three hour play time with limited ways to do anything.... I've explored all the islands. Wouldn't it be fun, if Alpha Keys were hidden somewhere on different islands? Maybe each member in one time slot or whatsoever, had a chance to get an Alpha Key by looking and getting to know the islands. That way, it forces everyone to get to know the islands and when new players come in, you have a group of already experienced pioneers to lead them through the game?
Just an idea.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but b/c I'm jut using three hour play time with limited ways to do anything.... I've explored all the islands. Wouldn't it be fun, if Alpha Keys were hidden somewhere on different islands? Maybe each member in one time slot or whatsoever, had a chance to get an Alpha Key by looking and getting to know the islands. That way, it forces everyone to get to know the islands and when new players come in, you have a group of already experienced pioneers to lead them through the game?
Just an idea.
Like the idea but then everybody would have a key. I prefer trivia/contests.

Like the idea but then everybody would have a key. I prefer trivia/contests.
No, not everyone. Only a certain number of Alpha keys would be introduced into the game to find. Through contests and such, it would make more people want to search. Right now, as awesome as it is to play semi-open....many are getting bored with just the "norm" as it is right now. Throwing a few alpha keys into the mix makes people be more into exploring and thus seeing bugs or issues in the game. It gives them incentive to play. Just my two cents, but from the forums and being on the game, I'm seeing a lot of dissatisfied players.
I personally don't care for myself, but if you truly want people to fully see the game and figure out where there are issues and report them to be fixed,.make it worth their time? I'll bet money on the fact that by offering a little more than fishing, potions, and ship repairs that you'll keep the following of this game going. Give 'Em something to work for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I was a longtime player of POTCO for 6-7 years and just now found out about this. I reserved a playtime slot but I'm so eager!! I know everything you need to know, if I'm given an alpha key it won't be a disappointment!

Thank you for this! I got one last night but I was honestly surprised at how much begging went on by others to get one. I am extremely excited to get into the game and help, as much as the next person! But, wow. o_o

Hey don't judge them, they missed this game ever since it closed and they just wanna play it again

"What are Beta Keys?"
A beta key is a 16 character code that will allow you to play TLOPO without having to reserve a time slot. The 16 characters of the key will be made up of a random selection of letters A-F and numbers 0-9. The key will be separated into 4 sections as shown below.

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

"How do I get a Beta Key?"
1. The most common way is through the TLOPO Community Chat (IRC). As of 6/3, it was announced a majority of beta keys will be given out via trivia contests hosted in the IRC. The trivia questions will test your knowledge of POTCO, so study up! The contests will be hosted by a TLOPO official, who is marked with an "@" sign in front of their username. Trivia contests will be hosted randomly.

For further information on the IRC please click here. Also be sure to check out the Community Guidelines before entering the IRC. As of 5/25, it was announced all users must authenticate in order to use the IRC. If you need help authenticating click here.
(NOTE: Please do not beg for keys, as it may result in you being banned from the IRC.)

2. Beta keys may be awarded through contests. Any information regarding contests will be on the TLOPO website.

3. Beta keys could be given away though TLOPO's social media, or right here on the forums!

"How do I use my Beta Key?"
  • First, sail over to the TLOPO website and login.
  • Once you're logged in you'll want to view your account information.
  • There will be two spaces regarding keys:
  1. The first space simply tells whether or not there is a key added to your account.
  2. The second space is where you will enter your beta key & add it to your account.
ZO51bKx.png
  • Once that "No" is changed to "Yes," you will be able to play TLOPO without time slots!
"Why do I need a Beta Key to play TLOPO whenever I want?"
TLOPO is currently in a very early stage of development. Limiting the number of players allowed in the game helps the development team to more accurately do their work. If everyone was allowed unrestricted access to the game it could create issues that would only slow down this whole process. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why does it say my beta key is invalid?
A: The beta key has already been used by someone else.

Q: Can more than one person use a beta key?
A: No, only one person can use a beta key.

Q: Can I get a key for my friend/family member?
A: Yes, one or two is fine but please do not hoard keys. Give others a chance to use them.

Q: Can I buy a beta key?
A: No. Anyone offering beta keys in exchange for money, or other forms of payment, should not be trusted.

Q: Is there a set date for beta to become open (key-less)?
A: No. Any information regarding the opening of beta will be posted on the TLOPO website.

Q: Will my alpha key transfer into a beta key?
A: Yes. All accounts accredited with an alpha key will retain unrestricted access to beta once it is available.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Suggestions for this post are welcome as well.

:thumbsup:
I have a beta key already through the use of digging. Is it possible to obtain a second one through digging to give to another player?

Beta keys are a joke as is. It's a way to waste your time since the players who already have keys seem to get them more often than anyone who doesn't.

Considering that I have to spend my time divided between my kids, job, house, and such...a Beta key would be nice. I'd be able to get on the game a little more often when I can in between breaks and such, which would be more often than my 3 hour window every other day that I can find a sign up time. So until then, I'll hope and pray. B/C honestly, some days, (as it was when I was playing the original POTCO) this saves my sanity.

Beta keys are a joke as is. It's a way to waste your time since the players who already have keys seem to get them more often than anyone who doesn't.
I mean, statistically speaking, players who already have keys have more drops than players who don't because players who already have keys have more time to dig for keys.

Yea, but i'm not going to kiss someone's bum to get one. I am who I am. Either they like me and gimme one, or I just wait. *shrug* I'm here for the long haul, so regardless, key or not, they can't get rid of me too much.

Back