Workaround Bug Workarounds

Stephen Teague

Pirate Lord
Hi there,

So I've seen a lot of people posting with the same 3-5 bugs so I thought of trying to find workarounds while I play the game.

So before I get started I would like to say this:
*DO NOT POST NEW BUGS ON THIS THREAD* This is for any WORKAROUNDS that you find, not new bugs. If you find a workaround for a bug that you repeat multiple times to ensure it's a good workaround, please post and I'll edit my thread and credit you. So let's get started:

Quest Bugs (Weapon Unlocks/Tutorial etc):

Barbossa Cutscene Crash:
  • To avoid this crash, buy the Flintlock pistol (it's free) from any gunsmith before you do the cutscene again. Once you have bought the pistol, head over to Devil's Anvil again and the cutscene will work. **Be sure your F2 slot is empty.**
Storyline Quest not appearing after skipping Tutorial:
  • Make a new pirate and do the entire tutorial and your issue will be resolved. Skipping the Tutorial seems to break your pirate in terms of the Storyline Quest
"Defeat French Undead on Cangrejos" or "Defeat Spanish Undead on Cutthroat":
If you need to defeat general enemies, it will NOT work, if this is the case, defeat the bosses and it will count. Specific type enemies (Example: Defeat 10 French Lieutenants) will work.
(Added 9/26/17 -- Credit @Johnny Sea Slasher )

Digging Quests not working properly:
  • This is due to you having multiple digging quests in your Journal at one time. You need to find which of them works and do that one (one will ALWAYS work, so if you have 3, 1 will work) and turn it in and then try the next one until you eliminate them down to the last one, which will then work. For a more detailed description please open the spoiler below:
Ok, try to alternate with them. What I mean is try all of them and see which works. I've found that if you have multiple digging quests, they glitch each other but one ALWAYS works. So let's say you have 3 digging quests (Quest A, Quest B and Quest C) Quest A and C might not work but Quest B will. So what you need to do is to try them all and see which works, once you find which one works, do that one, complete it and turn it in. THEN, try another digging quest and see if it works. Basically it's a process of elimination until you get down to the final digging quest. Hopefully that wasn't confusing.
Copied from my response on this thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/2017-7-20-tlopo-rc-1-3-6.20852/#post-287485

Weapon Unlock/Upgrade Quests not showing:
  • Level up any weapon, it should appear once you have done this. (Added 9/26/17 -- Credit @Johnny Sea Slasher )
Inventory Issues:

"Brights" appearing white:
Ship Issues:

Falling through deck of ship:

• A few relogs ought to resolve this issue.
Ship Crashes:
  • No resolution to this, just have to be patient on crash fixes
Getting stuck on cannon after crash and re-boarding:
  • Simply hit ESC and then pull out your sword and this issue will be resolved. (Added 6/5/17)
Running backwards after sinking in SvS:
Not able to anchor at an island:
  • Try backing into the island and it will most likely work. (Credit to @Meg Gunsmythe )
Minigame Issues

Getting stuck on a black screen (Potions Table):
  • This is due to a glitch with hitting the Escape (ESC) button. If you hit escape, you will be stuck on the table and upon hitting the actual exit button, you will get stuck on a black screen. To fix this, simply teleport to another Port of Call (Port Royal, Tortuga, Padres Del Fuego or Cuba) in order to fix. Credit to @Sailor George (workaround added October 30th).
Game Crashing (d3dx9_4x.dll is missing when clicking play) Credit to @Divine for this one: https://piratesforums.co/threads/fix-game-crashing-d3dx9_4x-dll-is-missing-when-clicking-play.18574/

Any account related problems:
  • Email support@tlopo.com who can help you with issues of that nature.

Also note that many issues will be fixed after updates so I may get rid of some workarounds/edit my post to reflect those bug fixes. That's all I have for now and again please remember to not post bugs here, only workarounds and I'll give you credit if they work.

Thanks for reading my wall of text,

Stephen Teague

Last edited:
Hi there,

So I've seen a lot of people posting with the same 3-5 bugs so I thought of trying to find workarounds while I play the game.

*DO NOT POST NEW BUGS ON THIS THREAD* This is for any WORKAROUNDS that you find, not new bugs. If you find a workaround for a bug that you repeat multiple times to ensure it's a good workaround, please post and I'll edit my thread and credit you. So let's get started:

Barbossa Cutscene Crash: To avoid this crash, buy the Flintlock pistol (it's free) from any gunsmith before you do the cutscene again. Once you have bought the pistol, head over to Devil's Anvil again and the cutscene will work.
Parts of quests missing/entire quests not showing up in Journal:
This one is rather tricky, I've heard some people relogged multiple times in succession and it popped up, another workaround that I have yet to try is here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/potential-fix-for-quest-bug.19433/ Which involves deleting your cache. Again, I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't hurt to see if it helps.
Storyline Quest not appearing after skipping Tutorial: Make a new pirate and do the entire tutorial and your issue will be resolved. Skipping the Tutorial seems to break your pirate in terms of the Storyline Quest

Ship Issues:
Falling through deck of ship: A few relogs ought to resolve this issue.
Ship getting locked after losing to a Flagship: Buying a Fishing Boat should fix this, or wait until an update/server restart happens and your ships should be able to be repaired again.
Ship Crashes: No resolution to this, just have to be patient on crash fixes
Lack of Ships: Also no real resolution to this aside from looking around (Note: There are a mass of high level ships located around Padres Del Fuego) as well as a large handful of Undead ships near the French SvS Island.

Game Crashing (d3dx9_4x.dll is missing when clicking play) Credit to @Divine for this one: https://piratesforums.co/threads/fix-game-crashing-d3dx9_4x-dll-is-missing-when-clicking-play.18574/

Gun Pouches/Ammo Barrel Glitches: Basically, this bug is when you buy the lower capacity barrels and then the higher capacity barrels and the lower ones deduct from the higher ones. This causes you to not be able to hold as much ammo (noted here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/cannon-barrel-capacity-upgrade-bug.19318/ ) A simple but obvious workaround like this for people in the future is to buy the high capacity first and not bother with the lower capacities.

Any account related problems: Email support@tlopo.com who can help you with issues of that nature.

Also note that many issues will be fixed after updates so I may get rid of some workarounds/edit my post to reflect those bug fixes. That's all I have for now and again please remember to not post bugs here, only workarounds and I'll give you credit if they work.

Stephen Teague
Thank you so much ! this really helps !

Hi there,

Barbossa Cutscene Crash:
  • To avoid this crash, buy the Flintlock pistol (it's free) from any gunsmith before you do the cutscene again. Once you have bought the pistol, head over to Devil's Anvil again and the cutscene will work.

Parts of quests missing/entire quests not showing up in Journal:

Storyline Quest not appearing after skipping Tutorial:
  • Make a new pirate and do the entire tutorial and your issue will be resolved. Skipping the Tutorial seems to break your pirate in terms of the Storyline Quest
Digging Quests not working properly:
  • This is due to you having multiple digging quests in your Journal at one time. You need to find which of them works and do that one (one will ALWAYS work, so if you have 3, 1 will work) and turn it in and then try the next one until you eliminate them down to the last one, which will then work. For a more detailed description please open the spoiler below:
Ok, try to alternate with them. What I mean is try all of them and see which works. I've found that if you have multiple digging quests, they glitch each other but one ALWAYS works. So let's say you have 3 digging quests (Quest A, Quest B and Quest C) Quest A and C might not work but Quest B will. So what you need to do is to try them all and see which works, once you find which one works, do that one, complete it and turn it in. THEN, try another digging quest and see if it works. Basically it's a process of elimination until you get down to the final digging quest. Hopefully that wasn't confusing.
Copied from my response on this thread: https://piratesforums.co/threads/2017-7-20-tlopo-rc-1-3-6.20852/#post-287485

Inventory Issues:

"Brights" appearing white:

Ship Issues:

Falling through deck of ship:

• A few relogs ought to resolve this issue.

Ship getting locked after losing to a Flagship:

• Buying a Fishing Boat should fix this, or wait until an update/server restart happens and your ships should be able to be repaired again. (I BELIEVE THIS IS FIXED)

Ship Crashes:
  • No resolution to this, just have to be patient on crash fixes
Lack of Ships in Sea
  • Also no real resolution to this aside from looking around (Note: There are a mass of high level ships located around Padres Del Fuego) as well as a large handful of Undead ships near the French SvS Island.

Getting stuck on cannon after crash and re-boarding:
  • Simply hit ESC and then pull out your sword and this issue will be resolved. (Added 6/5/17)
Minigame Issues

Getting stuck on a black screen (Potions Table):
  • This is due to a glitch with hitting the Escape (ESC) button. If you hit escape, you will be stuck on the table and upon hitting the actual exit button, you will get stuck on a black screen. To continue doing potions, I believe you can hit shift again but the only real fix is to relog unfortunately. (Added 7/21/17)

Any account related problems:
  • Email support@tlopo.com who can help you with issues of that nature.

Stephen Teague
(人❛ᴗ❛)♪тнайк чоц♪(❛ᴗ❛*人)

Hey ! Teague
I made some new test Pirates on Barbossa issue , I had 4 Guns from Barbossa plus the Free one ! I noticed that If you Shoot the Monkey Before the Popup tells you to It still kicks ya at the end of the 2nd cut scene ( 2nd popup Tells you to press ESC to put the weapon away then you get 2nd cut scene ) I tried 7 times then waited and saw the Popup telling you to shoot that lil critter ) Worked fine then ! :)

I have had an issue with blinking drop anchor buttons on driftwood and rum runners. Unable to drop anchor until I tried backing my boat in to the island then I got a solid drop anchor button and was able to port.

Adoria's Family Getting the rest. When I received the quest the only line showing was dread scorpions. I knew I had to get corrupt stumps vut the stumps I killed did not count. I went to rum runners and got the dread scorpions which counted and by that time the corrupt stumps line had shown up. On my return to outcast the corrupt stumps I killed counted.

Adoria's Family Getting the rest. When I received the quest the only line showing was dread scorpions. I knew I had to get corrupt stumps vut the stumps I killed did not count. I went to rum runners and got the dread scorpions which counted and by that time the corrupt stumps line had shown up. On my return to outcast the corrupt stumps I killed counted.
And Unfortunately for what ever reason Disney Removed the Scorpions from Outcast making it worse yet !

I did find a minor workaround to the Potion Black Screen glitch that is more effective than just flat-out relogging.

If you want to get off of the black screen without relogging, all you have to do is teleport to another main island. I accidentally hit escape all the time when doing potions because I'm so used to hitting escape when it comes to cannoneering, and every time I did, I fixed it by just teleporting to, like, Port Royal or Tortuga to get off the black screen.

I did find a minor workaround to the Potion Black Screen glitch that is more effective than just flat-out relogging.

If you want to get off of the black screen without relogging, all you have to do is teleport to another main island. I accidentally hit escape all the time when doing potions because I'm so used to hitting escape when it comes to cannoneering, and every time I did, I fixed it by just teleporting to, like, Port Royal or Tortuga to get off the black screen.

Thank you for this. I wished I had found it sooner before discovering the Map TP escape myself.

Added. Thank you! :D

Back