Call of the Kraken Minigame

Those who played early POTCO may remember a minigame that could be played called Call of the Kraken. In this game, you played as the Kraken, your goal to force the pirate lords to work with Davy Jones to bind Calypso.

In the game, you controlled the Kraken top-down, and had to sink ships to collect souls and upgrade your "Kraken abilities." If you beat the game, you received a code, giving you the Kraken Tattoo, which looks like this:

latest

latest

What do you guys think about adding the game back, along with the tattoo? It's obviously not a major part of the game, but it's just for a little fun. And the tattoo looks pretty good if you ask me.

I played POTCO pretty early on, around 2008 or 2009 (can't quite remember which honestly), and I don't actually remember this. I think it would be awesome and definitely think they should bring it back if they can.

Those who played early POTCO may remember a minigame that could be played called Call of the Kraken. In this game, you played as the Kraken, your goal to force the pirate lords to work with Davy Jones to bind Calypso.

In the game, you controlled the Kraken top-down, and had to sink ships to collect souls and upgrade your "Kraken abilities." If you beat the game, you received a code, giving you the Kraken Tattoo, which looks like this:

latest

latest

What do you guys think about adding the game back, along with the tattoo? It's obviously not a major part of the game, but it's just for a little fun. And the tattoo looks pretty good if you ask me.
I would agree.

It would be pretty cool for sure. The only thing is, there's not much to go on other than this video unless someone has the actual program still installed. The tattoo does look cool and it would be great to have back in the game. I completely agree with ye mate, it would be a great addition to the game!

latest

latest

Anything they can add that will add dimension to the game would be a good thing.

It would be pretty cool for sure. The only thing is, there's not much to go on other than this video unless someone has the actual program still installed. The tattoo does look cool and it would be great to have back in the game. I completely agree with ye mate, it would be a great addition to the game!
The video was cool, but the remarks from long ago were very revealing and I added another quote from that video comment section in the 'trade, yes or no' extra thread.

But this persons comments about the Kraken gave some insights to the history. The game itself was/is heavily debated.

EdwardEdgemenace
Published on Jan 9, 2010
Major disappointment. POTCO - Pirates of the Caribbean Online After 2 years of promises of adding the Kraken in-game, Disney has failed. The "addition" here is of an offline stand-alone game (of which thousands better already exist) instead of something that customers have been screaming for. Looking at the files downloaded (yo Disney - it is a DOWNLOAD - why have any OS or worse, BROWSER requirements?) are all dated from early 2008. Yes, this game was finished being written two years ago...right around the time when customers started leaving in droves because of the lack of in-game content. Very clearly here, the company that Disney hired to do this proprietary, non-portable garbage, simply offended the existing programmers so much that they all left. It now is crystal clear - the original developers had much invested (more than Disney) in the PANDA architecture. Their adherence to open protocols resulted in a fun game, that Disney has spent 2 years degrading and destroying. ---------------------------------- When news of "Call of the Kraken" hit yesterday, over 20 in-game friends of mine (core players mainly from 3 large guilds) left to download the WoW 10 day trial. Out of all those people, I was the only person with a computer that could download and run this demo game from disney.com. Way To Go. Seriously Disney, Way To Go. Let's see...since 2007 customers have been asking for: 1) Removal of glitches (none removed yet - many changed, but none removed.) 2) Second story chapter (nothing yet.) 3) Less lag (original memory management problems never fixed; all enhancements made supposedly to reduce lag have increased lag for almost everyone.) 4) Improved inventory (clothing items max = 5? wth? Why not 5,000? Why not 5,000,000? Max ships = 3? wth? Why not 3 trillion ships? Max gold 65k? Puh-leeeez.) 5) Balanced PvP. (OK, not many people realize this, but the reason PvP and SvS sucks so horribly in POTCO, is because of the A) inherent cheats combined with B) unbalanced damage scales. For example, Fury ammo does 8 times the damage of a regular cannon ball, instead of plus 8 damage. Or "open fire" or "take cover" being changed at the time SvS was added - previously they did nothing - now both do thousands of times more than they claim to - i.e. TC incorrectly gives total invincibility.) 6) Increase notoriety cap from 40. Hey! They got one! Added a plethora of glitches along with it, but hey, at least it's something. How many years until they correct the cheaters at level 62? Time will tell... 1 for 6 Disney. Fail.

This game sounds cool, even if I don't remember it from the game. I do remember they had a few web based games outside of POTCO that were also interesting, on their website at Disney.

Here's a link from a website that saved a lot of the early games, from 2006 or so. There were many more games and they're probably still out there.

http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Games/CartoonsMoviesTV/PiratesOfTheCaribbean5.htm

I used to play these games all day long, lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually still have all of the files from the Call of The Kraken minigame. At the time, I installed it on my Windows XP machine (shows the age of the game), and I remember having a lot of fun with it. I don't have it installed on any machine right now - in fact, I think I tried installing it on a Windows 7 machine and it didn't work in the slightest (but this was yeeeeaaars ago).

There also is an activation code that must be used to play the game (which I also still have), but I'm not sure if that's needed/can be used anymore because I'm assuming that the code was processed through a Disney server which is now defunct.

I actually still have all of the files from the Call of The Kraken minigame. At the time, I installed it on my Windows XP machine (shows the age of the game), and I remember having a lot of fun with it. I don't have it installed on any machine right now - in fact, I think I tried installing it on a Windows 7 machine and it didn't work in the slightest (but this was yeeeeaaars ago).

There also is an activation code that must be used to play the game (which I also still have), but I'm not sure if that's needed/can be used anymore because I'm assuming that the code was processed through a Disney server which is now defunct.

Put it up on Mega or Google Drive (if you can find it). You might only need to enable compatibility mode or install something that isn't bundled with the program. Sometimes installing a missing Visual C++ Redistributable is enough. If the program has to contact a server then I'm sure someone can decompile the program and easily rip out that part of the code.

I don't recall this game. Was it ever a mini game in potco? Or was it just a related game from Disney? I definitely was playing potco in 2009 and I think in 2008 also, I'm not sure about the 2 months in 07, it seems to me I first came across potco in the spring of 08. I believe that the developers are planning to add the Kraken to the game more as an integral part rather than a mini game, see the Isla Escondida preview.

latest

latest

Yes!!! I remember this!! Please bring it back! It'd be amazing!

I don't recall this game. Was it ever a mini game in potco? Or was it just a related game from Disney? I definitely was playing potco in 2009 and I think in 2008 also, I'm not sure about the 2 months in 07, it seems to me I first came across potco in the spring of 08. I believe that the developers are planning to add the Kraken to the game more as an integral part rather than a mini game, see the Isla Escondida preview.
It was related to POTCO, ran off the same engine, but it was a download. It unlocked the tattoo in POTCO upon completion. They were somehow related since it generated a custom code to redeem the tattoo.

I remember the game. My grandson loved it and played it a lot. I too had a windows XP computer at the time. I vaguely remember them not supporting the game after a while. But my grandson loved it.

Back