Question Can someone fix the names? (Strong Language But It Is Used To Prove My Point)

TigerEye6

Sea Legs
I tried to name a pirate "Santa Clause" as a joke. I have tried this for months (ever since I found the Santa Hat in the game LOL). Every name I could think of for Santa was rejected, and eventually I got mad. I expected to be banned for even typing this out, and I didn't mind because I was kind of taking a break from the game anyways, but I tried to make my pirate's name "barnaclesFace" because I was mad and sure enough, APPROVED! Who did this? Isn't this a kids game? I mean, yeah I wrote it, but I expected only Dev.s to see, and maybe a ban (and I was willing to be banned because I know I deserved it!). NOPE! That name is apparently OK! I deleted my pirate, but still, come on now. That is just ridiculous. Image, my character really running around with that name. Weather I, myself, am a kid or not, a few kids will probably see it eventually just by me running around. I know this game has a fairly tight community, but it wasn't even funny to let that pass, especially because it was just so plain and upfront about swearing, but no, "Santa Clause" is too offensive, and needs to not be allowed!

BTW it even censored me typing the name out on here. IDK how it didn't censor it when I made it the name of my pirate, because it didn't when I was playing.

Hi there,

I tried to name a pirate "Santa Clause" as a joke. I have tried this for months (ever since I found the Santa Hat in the game LOL). Every name I could think of for Santa was rejected, and eventually I got mad.
The name "Santa Claus" and any variants of it will never be approved. This falls under our "no religious references" item in our Terms of Service.

but I tried to make my pirate's name "barnaclesFace" because I was mad and sure enough, APPROVED! Who did this? Isn't this a kids game?
Reading the uncensored version of that name, we can confirm that no instances (or anything similar) of that name has ever been approved. All have been denied.

We do want to emphasize that name approvals are done by human moderators and that mistakes can and do happen. We try our best to ensure nothing slips through the cracks, and for instances where we have made mistakes, we've made our best effort to revoke the name as soon as possible. Not to say that this happens often (it rarely does), but we encourage players to keep an eye out for bad names as well - one of the report options in-game is for this.

BTW it even censored me typing the name out on here. IDK how it didn't censor it when I made it the name of my pirate, because it didn't when I was playing.
No name auto-correction or filtering occurs for the "type a name" feature during character creation. We do, however, employ language filtering on regular chat messages as well as on the forums.

For a complete list of our naming guidelines, please review our Terms of Service page:

I would have thought Santa Clause would have been rejected because of famous name, not religious. How is Santa Clause religious?

To reiterate, Santa Claus is a derivative of Saint Nicholas, of which the folk songs refer to and the lore is originated from, and is indeed a religious character.

Even had the name not been denied due to the above reasoning, Santa Claus is still a hallmark folklore character along the likes of Blackbeard, and is similarly why that name has not been accepted without some type of variation, hence the "famous character" reasoning.

I recently tried to name a pirate after a friend of mine, but it turns out she was just famous enough as an actress to have her name denied. (The moderator can simply put a name into a search and pretty much see quickly if it is "famous" or what-not.) I had to play around until a variation worked that only she and I would know it referred to her! :cool:

Back