Can we have an honest discussion about the moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney was even stricter than the TLOPO team from my experiences.
Disney didn't ban for using autoclickers or discussing them ingame, Disney didn't ban for chat evasion unless you were already a heated target for their moderation. Infact, getting banned on original POTCO was actually rare since they rarely enforced the rules they set place.
You could do invinciblity glitch and PVP glitch right in Tortuga in Abassa where EVERYONE is and not get banned for it.

And im not saying being more strict is a bad thing im saying because you are chosing to be more strict and ban more often you simply cant just terminate someone after 4 bans only, if at all. With the rate in which people are getting banned (which by the way, 9 times out of 10 the appeal will fail because they will shut your appeal attempt down because the rules are always right and no forgiveness is to be had here ever)

Disney didn't ban for using autoclickers or discussing them ingame, Disney didn't ban for chat evasion unless you were already a heated target for their moderation. Infact, getting banned on original POTCO was actually rare since they rarely enforced the rules they set place.
You could do invinciblity glitch and PVP glitch right in Tortuga in Abassa where EVERYONE is and not get banned for it.

And im not saying being more strict is a bad thing im saying because you are chosing to be more strict and ban more often you simply cant just terminate someone after 4 bans only, if at all. With the rate in which people are getting banned (which by the way, 9 times out of 10 the appeal will fail because they will shut your appeal attempt down because the rules are always right and no forgiveness is to be had here ever)

You must have played very late in the game when they stopped caring about their MMOs. From my experiences playing the game earlier, near it's start, the team over at Disney Online didn't tolerate anything.

Well maybe, but all im saying is bans should always be the same duration based on each offense and they should not end up equating to a termination, Terminating should be reserved for the extremely ridiculous things like trying to scam people ingame out of money or literally hacking the server, or insulting personal things about the owners of the project or spreading massive drama

You must have played very late in the game when they stopped caring about their MMOs. From my experiences playing the game earlier, near it's start, the team over at Disney Online didn't tolerate anything.

This is true. When level 40 was the maxium level, it was a big deal to reach level 40 as you were a Mastered Pirate. My GM was about to hit 40 and I said in chat "Smile for the camera" because I was about to take his screen shot. The next day when I tried to log on it said I was banned for 4 days due to breaking a rule. They sent the section of chat to me in my email to show me the part of chat that they flagged as against their rules. I was really floored. Honestly I was banned so many times from that game because of dumb stuff like that - and I really tried hard to go by the rules.

I've had no issues with TLOPO.

This is true. When level 40 was the maxium level, it was a big deal to reach level 40 as you were a Mastered Pirate. My GM was about to hit 40 and I said in chat "Smile for the camera" because I was about to take his screen shot. The next day when I tried to log on it said I was banned for 4 days due to breaking a rule. They sent the section of chat to me in my email and that was the part that they flagged was against their rules. I was really floored. Honestly I was banned so many times from that game because of dumb stuff like that - and I really tried hard to go by the rules.

I've had no issues with TLOPO.

Oh yes I do remember those emails. I had said to someone they should "google something" and two days later I got an email with the text in question. This was on Toontown, but boy was I freaked out. This was most likely around 2008.

EDIT: I just realized this was almost 10 years ago. I feel old.

Addressing TLOPO's Moderation (not the Pirates Forums):

I dont mean to cut anyone one off, but it seems like most of you are repeating yourselves.
I've read almost all the threads in which players share their opinions about our Banning Procedures, and Im seeing the same ideas again here.

Trust me when I say that we are taking into consideration your ideas and tips, we're reshaping the entire system.

Repeating the same things over and over again isnt helping us, creating thread after thread complaining about a Ban isnt helping us.

Give us time, please.

Addressing TLOPO's Moderation (not the Pirates Forums):

I dont mean to cut anyone one off, but it seems like most of you are repeating yourselves.
I've read almost all the threads in which players share their opinions about our Banning Procedures, and Im seeing the same ideas again here.

Trust me when I say that we are taking into consideration your ideas and tips, we're reshaping the entire system.

Repeating the same things over and over again isnt helping us, creating thread after thread complaining about a Ban isnt helping us.

Give us time, please.

So, in other words, stop finding ways to get banned, follow the rules, don't be stupid, and play your PlayTimes. Easy as that?

(I'm being sarcastic, but for real though...)

Disney did ban things like this, the problem was that they were inconsistent.

Disney did ban things like this, the problem was that they were inconsistent.
This wasn't the main point of what i was writing. Standard bans for the same actions would work. Terminating someone, or escalating their case over time as they get more bans is too harsh.

This is pretty much identical to Disney's system, and I'll be totally honest about their whole a few bans and your gone forever idea, it stinks, its bad. I dislike it. And alot of people probably did.

This wasn't the main point of what i was writing. Standard bans for the same actions would work. Terminating someone, or escalating their case over time as they get more bans is too harsh.

This is pretty much identical to Disney's system, and I'll be totally honest about their whole a few bans and your gone forever idea, it stinks, its bad. I dislike it. And alot of people probably did.
The escalation is to prevent you from repeatedly doing it. I'm no moderator but the more you do something wrong, the worse the consequences are. If it was the same thing every time people would probably risk keep doing it. Harsher punishment= less "misbehavior"

It doesn't need to be that harsh to get people to stop doing it. Being banned feels bad enough. Plus the things we are talking about banning for are so minute half the time until you can rack them up without even intending to. Theres just so many small tedious rules, and so many things that can be done to get banned, that terminating, at least after only 4 bans, is yes, extreme. If there are hundreds of things you can't do, then 4 is a very small number.

The idea of terminating someones account is to get rid of people who are problematic so the moderation team doesn't have to keep dealing with them, but this type of idea right here would also solve that issue:

First offense: 1 hour ban
Second offense: 4 hour ban
Third offense: 1 Day ban
Fourth offense: 2 Day Ban
Fifth offense: 1 week ban
Sixth: 1 month

and so on and so forth, and then say you behave for a few months, your record resets and you start back at the first offense. The increasing ban lengths makes people not want to misbehave because going say days, or even a month without TLOPO is kind of torture.

Progressive punishment is fairly standard practice. People should be able to learn from their mistakes. If you receive an infraction notice, read through the rules and follow them to the best of your ability. If you feel that something was done in error or that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, try to appeal it. Otherwise it seems reasonable that people who consistently find themselves on the wrong side of the rules receive harsher and harsher punishments in an attempt to coerce them to behave.

Yes, but why not say longer and longer bans each time they do it, instead of terminating. I think in terms of escalating punishments, you are starting off with the punishments being too extreme at the beginning, and ending your relationship with a player way too early on, after only 4.

Yes, but why not say longer and longer bans each time they do it, instead of terminating. I think in terms of escalating punishments, you are starting off with the punishments being too extreme at the beginning, and ending your relationship with a player way too early on, after only 4.
I'm not trying to discuss bans or anything publicly but getting 4 bans sounds pretty hard to do. No offense meant. In the span of Alpha and Beta combined I've received one warning for a word that was a typo. Now this isn't meant for offense so please don't assume I'm accusing you of anything I just wanted to point out 4 bans is a lot. If it was 2 and then a termination, I could agree that would be a little excessive but 4 bans is a lot.

4 isn't alot considering all of the things that you cant do. Its very very controlling right now, there just has to be some give here.

I feel like if words are marked in red and aren't going to go through we shouldn't get banned or even a warning I mean people type fast and some don't even look at what they wrote just press enter, we're all humans who make errors in the end..

4 isn't alot considering all of the things that you cant do. Its very very controlling right now, there just has to be some give here.
Alright, I don't want this thread to become a 1v1 but we both have our viewpoints, thanks for that discussion, if you do want to continue feel free to PM.. I personally feel that 4 is a lot but you feel differently which is fine :)

I do think terminating should (aside from by definition alone) be a last resort for particularly troublesome players. I imagine the exact escalation sequences and such can vary widely on a case-by-case basis depending on how severe the offenses are though. If you mean that you think some of the offenses don't scale to your expectation then I suppose that is a separate consideration, but from what I've read above it looks like the TLOPO team may already be trying to address that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back