Blog Post Cannon Defense Spotlight

The Crew

TLOPO Staff
Cannon Defense Spotlight
Posted by The Crew

News Post Image

Hope you all have been enjoying the new and old features of Cannon Defense!

As before, this minigame has waves of bandits coming to steal a hoard of gold. Progress through waves, leveling up your Navy Cannon to unlock new Navy Cannon Ammo specific to Cannon Defense, including Mine, Cold Shot, Bait Shot and Firestorm. A complete list can be found on the Wiki.

Upon reaching Cannon Defense skill level 20, you will gain a special Golden Repeater Cannon. A reminder, these Cannon Defense skills will reset once you leave that game. Anyone who is inactive for 5 minutes will automatically be booted from Cannon Defense.

A new feature to Cannon Defense is a 90 second break every 10 waves. Even the toughest pirates need a wee break to stretch, get a snack, etc. You’ll see a summary of the game thus far with new buttons to click when you are ready to continue. Just click the ready button when you are ready, and the game will continue either when everyone has clicked the button or the time has run out.

Periodically, you will be rewarded with Cannon Rams, Navy Weapons, or Tonics. The cannon rams can be used on the High Seas and in SvS. Yes, the Revenant Ram with Infinite Fury has returned! The Navy Weapons rewarded will primarily be Bayonets.

Cannonmasters are located just outside Fort Dundee across the bridge and to left, just inside Fort Charles, and just inside the Tortuga Graveyard entering from the main part of Tortuga. If you cannot find them, look for the cannon icon on the minimap and above their heads.

Cannon Defense is more fun with a crew of 4, gather some mates and see how far you can go! Thank you for waiting so long for this to return and happy piratin’!!

View this post on the TLOPO website

Well, reading the wiki I know that rev's aren't available until wave 52 and above. I don't believe I'll accomplish that level anytime soon as I'm batting 1000 for dc'g before I'm level 9. So when CD solidifies sometime, I may see that level. I feel bad because I was on a lot of great teams and then would drop and come back as a level 1 again.

CD is coming along nicely, but of course could use several tweaks. The un shootable flying/flaming hay bales launched from the ships at the players is one such area ripe for improvement.
They seem to come in at such an angle that the player furthest to the right is continually hit with them and unable to shoot them down, due to the angle launched.
The entire enemy ship/water portion of the game is too close to the cliff where the players shoot, and needs to be distanced a slight amount for this to stop happening.
Other than that, I was thrilled to win a Hasty Cannon Ram after hitting level 64, just before the entire server crashed and burned, resetting the game.
We did have fun regardless!

Well, reading the wiki I know that rev's aren't available until wave 52 and above. I don't believe I'll accomplish that level anytime soon as I'm batting 1000 for dc'g before I'm level 9. So when CD solidifies sometime, I may see that level. I feel bad because I was on a lot of great teams and then would drop and come back as a level 1 again.
It’s wave 52 not cannon level 52, I’ve always made it past wave 20 before crashing and usually quite a bit higher, are you sure you aren’t confused between waves and cannon lvl?

It’s wave 52 not cannon level 52, I’ve always made it past wave 20 before crashing and usually quite a bit higher, are you sure you aren’t confused between waves and cannon lvl?
I don't think I'm confused as that's right from the wiki. WAVE of ships - 52 and above the rev starts to appear. Cannon level awards ammo and ammo slots. I don't know how high cannon level goes. I may have read it, but don't recall.
But I just looked at my syntax and it could be confusing. I've never made it to level 9 cannon yet. I've been in groups but the highest wave I've experienced was like 46. But I consider the word level as the cannoneer title description and the wave use as ship rounds completed.
I don't think they can be interchanged with each other, or should be.
Wave=ships, level=people.

I don't think I'm confused as that's right from the wiki. WAVE of ships - 52 and above the rev starts to appear. Cannon level awards ammo and ammo slots. I don't know how high cannon level goes. I may have read it, but don't recall.
But I just looked at my syntax and it could be confusing. I've never made it to level 9 cannon yet. I've been in groups but the highest wave I've experienced was like 46. But I consider the word level as the cannoneer title description and the wave use as ship rounds completed.
I don't think they can be interchanged with each other, or should be.
Wave=ships, level=people.
So at wave 46 you are just 1 drop away from where the Rev Ram starts being a possibility, you make it sound hopeless but you are really not far from a chance at success. If I remember correctly common level goes to 20.

So at wave 46 you are just 1 drop away from where the Rev Ram starts being a possibility, you make it sound hopeless but you are really not far from a chance at success. If I remember correctly common level goes to 20.
Mostly yes. But the wiki states 52 as a starting point for revs. Of course the wiki is written by players themselves and should be taken with a grain of Port Royal beach sand.

Last edited:
Mostly yes. But the wiki states 52 as a starting point for revs. Of course the wiki is written by players themselves and should be taken with a grain of Port Royal sand beach.
Drops are 6 waves apart and the 52 for the Rev Ram seems accurate, if not 100% then at least 99%, so if you get the wave 46 drop you have a chance to get the Rev Ram on the next drop if you can just get that far. I just want to point out that you seem to think your situation is hopeless but actually it’s far from it and you have come close to progressing far enough to accomplish your goal and all you need is a little luck.

Last edited:
It is so close to being perfect. We still have the disconnections which was always a problem even back in potco- but it still really sucks to put in an hour, get to like lv 12 cannon, then disconnect and you're back at lv 1 struggling to keep up with the higher difficulty ships. Even more so if your whole 4 stack gradually disconnects so no one ever gets the higher level abilities. I have yet to see anyone get even to lv 14 before disconnecting. I miss the days of the later levels having 4 golden cannons just going to town.

Other issues I've frequently run into:
Round shot, or whatever is in slot 1, is unable to be selected. You press 1 and your cannon will not fire. The other numbers will allow quick switch but the 1 slot will not- especially an issue since that is your infinite, low cooldown, reliable damage through the entire game. You CAN click on it to switch to it but that takes a second or two which really matters in hard waves, and it forces you to stop targeting and readjust your aim after.

Sometimes your cannon slows down to the speed of a normal cannon on a ship. Not always a problem, but especially for things like the round shot where DPS is the name of the game, it cuts your effectiveness in half- however I find it does help improve my aim tracking.

Freeze shot seems to cause a lot of crashes, easily avoided by not buying it. But having it not make the game crash would make those difficult waves more manageable.

Honestly this has never been a hard minigame, and those upper level rams that you can literally get as soon as you make your lv 1 pirate are incredibly worth a grind because they are basically inevitable unlike a legendary weapon. Disconnecting an hour in, or having disconnects be the cause of losing without getting a ram you wanted really is annoying, but it isn't as annoying as grinding for literal days hoping to even get a halfway decent Famed weapon from a high level boss. It costs nothing to play but time, does pay out in items and gold consistently. It is instantly accessible so you can get a whole pirate's life worth of rams in 1-2 games taking about 2 hours each. There likely is nothing that can be done about the crashing, as I said before there was a lot of it in the old Potco as well, its just a risk you have to take having some time wasted or your minigame experience made a bit harder by starting over at higher wave.

Thanks greatly developers for putting the game back in, it is still fun even once you don't need the rams anymore. And its a great way to meet new friends.

Back