Captain Hexskull and the Skull Crusher Fleet: Chapter 1

Should I write a second Chapter?

• Total voters

Jim Hexskull

Wiki Staff
5iL88ZR.png

In the dark midnight sky, the moonlight shined down onto the deck of the Black Widow. The fog was creeping eerily through every crack and crevice, almost as a snake would slither through every blade of grass. Below the deck, the sounds of sailors snoring, and bottles rolling. Almost drowned out by the sound of the vessel creaking with every wave she hit. The cannons, sat cold and still, carefully tied to the deck. Amid all the chaos of the world, and the seas, the ship was at peace. Or so it seemed. For in the Captain's cabin something strange was occurring. Captain Hexskull was sound asleep. His mind usually plagued by nightmares, sleeping was an oddity to him these days. The many battles ran through his head. The sound of cannon fire made him cringe. The sharp sound of cold steel clashing raised the hair on his arms. But not tonight. Tonight, he was at peace.

All of a sudden, it seemed as if every peaceful thought in the world had vanished. All the warmth in the world, frozen. And every last sailor, including Captain Hexskull jumped to their feet as they heard the most gut wrenching sound they could have possibly imagined. The roar of the Kraken. The rumor had made its way around the seas that the Kraken had been killed, but the crew of the Black Widow knew better than that, for they had fought this beast before. Only this time, The Skull Crusher Fleet was not here to help, they were all alone. "Battle Stations!" Cried out Captain Hexskull, as he rushed down into the hull to alarm the crew. "Get ready to send this beast back to the depths where it belongs!" The men mustered at their battle stations. Some at cannons, ready to fire. Some with spears, ready to stab anything foolish enough to come aboard. Some with rifles, ready to take fine shots at the beast as he rose from the depths, but would it all be enough?

As fast as lightning strikes, the Kraken burst through the waves, tentacles flailing. "Steady....Steady men!" Said first mate Fireskull, for he knew attacking the beast immediately was not a smart idea. The Kraken stretched its tentacles out around the ship, and immediately started to squeeze. "Fire!" The First Mate's voice bellowed across the deck, like a thunderous roar, as he shouted the command to save their lives. Cannons fired in all directions, some hitting tentacles, some the beast's body, some missing completely. The beast reached across the deck, grabbing what it could and ripping it from the ship, like a terrible storm.

The Black Widow was tough, but could she hold up to this ferocious beast of legend? The Kraken stretched its tentacles out, ready to crush the legendary war brig right in two. The First Mate then realized that one of the barrels the beast grabbed was full of oil for the lamps. The Kraken started to drop it's tentacles, and it seemed as if the world had stopped for a moment. The seas seemed quiet. The hull didn't creak. The beast didn't roar. Then like an angel's voice, a creak could be heard from the bridge as a door opened. At this moment, where all seemed at an end, where it seemed like death was certain, the crew stood in awe. As if they'd seen a ghost. They all stared toward the bridge, and beyond the grand staircases that paralleled the sides of the ship. From the darkness, out stepped.....

What do you guys think? I'm a little rusty, as I haven't written in awhile, but I like the story so far. All constructive criticism is most definitely welcome, and strongly encouraged so that I may improve my writing abilities. Do you like the cliff hanger? Who could it be that stepped from the darkness? After all, Dead Men Tell No Tales...
(Also thanks to @Rich Fireskull I've used his character before, and he is an amazing person, and an even better friend. Rich, I hope you don't mind me using you in the story, but I figured there would be no better First Mate for Captain Hexskull than you. :) )

I'd like to kindly ask that if you vote note in the poll, could you please comment a reason why, so that I may improve. You don't have to, but it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

What do you guys think? I'm a little rusty, as I haven't written in awhile, but I like the story so far. All constructive criticism is most definitely welcome, and strongly encouraged so that I may improve my writing abilities. Do you like the cliff hanger? Who could it be that stepped from the darkness? After all, Dead Men Tell No Tales...
(Also thanks to @Rich Fireskull I've used his character before, and he is an amazing person, and an even better friend. Rich, I hope you don't mind me using you in the story, but I figured there would be no better First Mate for Captain Hexskull than you. :) )
I do not mind at all. I think it is rather a nice match up :)

There's no better way to improve your writing style, than to keep on stabbing at those keys! Great descriptions... And you set the scene up nicely. Not sure I would have been able to take the story to a cliffhanger where you did, simply because when I get the writing bug.... It's difficult for me to stop. But great start. Keep on writing.
~SR

Back