chain shot doesn't actually affect npc ship speed

Firepower

Sea Legs
chain shot does damage to enemy NPC ship sails, but when the sails are gone, their speed isn't affected at all, but players speed is affected normally, why is this still not fixed? has anything else about this issue been posted before?

chain shot does damage to enemy NPC ship sails, but when the sails are gone, their speed isn't affected at all, but players speed is affected normally, why is this still not fixed? has anything else about this issue been posted before?
It's known and annoying for sure, but it one of those beta cosmetic game play issue that isn't game breaking itself. With a lot of focus going into the new 64bit pep upgrade and such, this long time ineffectual effect probably got pushed to the far far back burner and now fell off and caught halfway down behind the stove and back wall. It probably isn't forgotten, just in line with a lot of other things not quite right.
I don't think like this will be fixed with the upgrade as they seem independent from the core game itself, but hey, you'll be chased faster by sailless ships after the redo.

NPC ship speed does lower when you damage sails, but some ship types such as hunters will continue moving even with no sails -- this is intentional.

NPC ship speed does lower when you damage sails, but some ship types such as hunters will continue moving even with no sails -- this is intentional.
Why would that be intentional? Do they have onboard motors or something? Below water oars with prisoners in the hold?

is this in effect since hunters are basically recycled between players instead of spawning new ones, so people can't just shoot down the sails and leave them sail-less stranded at the ocean border which i assume would cause issues with the way hunters "spawn" to follow player ships.

Why would that be intentional? Do they have onboard motors or something? Below water oars with prisoners in the hold?

Why? Gameplay reasons.
How? Voodoo.

is this in effect since hunters are basically recycled between players instead of spawning new ones, so people can't just shoot down the sails and leave them sail-less stranded at the ocean border which i assume would cause issues with the way hunters "spawn" to follow player ships.

To be honest, I'm not sure why it was done exactly, I'd have to ask around. If I had to guess, it's so hunters can't just be crippled and farmed too easily.

well ships other than hunters sometimes do that though which is odd, they only get slowed down if they want to i suppose.

As I recall there was some of this going on in potco also but it was a little different than it is now in tlopo, so, I consider it bugged but not crazily so. I definitely remember the Fleets flagship moving with no sails in potco. It seems to me that hunters did not move in potco but I’m not certain of that. EDIT: Looks like hunters did follow but at a slowed speed like the fleet ships.

Last edited:
As I recall there was some of this going on in potco also but it was a little different than it is now in tlopo, so, I consider it bugged but not crazily so. I definitely remember the Fleets flagship moving with no sails in potco. It seems to me that hunters did not move in potco but I’m not certain of that.

It's not bugged, the changes are intentional.

If we made it were hunters/warships speed WAS effected, we would need to make their sails HP about 10x what it is now. [Excluding the SOTL which we can simply double] then I would find it reasonable to not let hunters not ZIP and ZOOM into players like rockets.

This would also reward experience players in killing hunters/warship sails in order to peacefully do loot runs.

What do you think of this idea? @Truecrash

[Obviously all numbers of how much hp sails would be adjusted can be up to staff.]

If we made it were hunters/warships speed WAS effected, we would need to make their sails HP about 10x what it is now. [Excluding the SOTL which we can simply double] then I would find it reasonable to not let hunters not ZIP and ZOOM into players like rockets.

This would also reward experience players in killing hunters/warship sails in order to peacefully do loot runs.

What do you think of this idea? @Truecrash

[Obviously all numbers of how much hp sails would be adjusted can be up to staff.]

I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Hunters are already affected by chain shot, they just retain some movement speed even with zero sails. Are you suggesting we remove this, and instead buff their sail HP?

I'm a little confused as to what you mean. Hunters are already affected by chain shot, they just retain some movement speed even with zero sails. Are you suggesting we remove this, and instead buff their sail HP?
Exactly. Yes.

Make their sails CONSIDERABLY tanky. Like on par with sinking the ship levels of hp.

That way it's not abusing it to make sailing easier, but giving loot runners or leveling groups an alternative to sailing rather than having to be in consent fear of a SOTL on their tail BLASTING them with 9 explosive shots if they stop for even a moment.

It's not bugged, the changes are intentional.
Say what you like, it is not exactly like it was in potco and so whether that is bugged or not is open to interpretation, whether the way it is is intentional or not. I do have serious doubt that the exact nature of demasted ship movements is exactly as intended; my perhaps faulty recollection of hunters in potco was that they did not move and that the SOTL moved slowly, is it that way in tlopo, no. I do understand that some none regular ships were intended to move when demasted but hunters seemed to move at full speed last time I saw such a thing; which perhaps has been changed since, maybe I should check that. I really suspect bugged much like the often poor sailing loot that you insist is normal and I have no proof to the contrary; which is different to the definite bug where you get missing skulls and completely crazy excellent loot, which you also seem to insist doesn't exist.
Exactly. Yes.

Make their sails CONSIDERABLY tanky. Like on par with sinking the ship levels of hp.

That way it's not abusing it to make sailing easier, but giving loot runners or leveling groups an alternative to sailing rather than having to be in consent fear of a SOTL on their tail BLASTING them with 9 explosive shots if they stop for even a moment.
I don't consider the current state of hunters and SOTL to be an impediment to loot runs at all, I'm not concerned about them on my tail, I would just like them to be as they were in potco, which I'm pretty sure is not the case. EDIT: definitely not the case.

Last edited:
Exactly. Yes.

I think this is an interesting idea, though I'm not sure technical limitations will allow it completely. Regardless, I'll pass it forward. Thanks for the suggestion!

Say what you like, it is not exactly like it was in potco and so whether that is bugged or not is open to interpretation, whether the way it is is intentional or not. I do have serious doubt that the exact nature of demasted ship movements is exactly as intended; my perhaps faulty recollection of hunters in potco was that they did not move and that the SOTL moved slowly, is it that way in tlopo, no. I do understand that some none regular ships were intended to move when demasted but hunters seemed to move at full speed last time I saw such a thing; which perhaps has been changed since, maybe I should check that. I really suspect bugged much like the often poor sailing loot that you insist is normal and I have no proof to the contrary; which is different to the definite bug where you get missing skulls and completely crazy excellent loot, which you also seem to insist doesn't exist.

I don't consider the current state of hunters and SOTL to be an impediment to loot runs at all, I'm not concerned about them on my tail, I would just like them to be as they were in potco, which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

I never said we changed it, it was like this in POTCO. Not bugged. Nothing is open to interpretation either, it's not a bug if it's intentional -- that's a feature.

I think this is an interesting idea, though I'm not sure technical limitations will allow it completely. Regardless, I'll pass it forward. Thanks for the suggestion!

I never said we changed it, it was like this in POTCO. Not bugged. Nothing is open to interpretation either, it's not a bug if it's intentional -- that's a feature.
OK, I just did check the original posts assertion and @Firepower is correct regular npc ships are not slowed when their sails are destroyed. The npc ship did stop when it's sails were gone and my ship was stationary but then followed me at full speed when I moved away, very interesting. This has not always been the case in tlopo and I don't know when it changed but they do chase you at full speed when they should not move at all, this is a bug. I'll check hunter behavior later tonight, I see that the Wiki says hunters should move, I didn't and still don't recall the exact details of hunter behavior but I am certain that when their sails are gone they should have greatly reduced speed, let's see.

Back