Change in Broadside Mechanics?

Stout

Pirate Apprentice
A friend of mine has recently noticed a change in broadside mechanics. Although they can not truly confirm it was this update, there is definitely a change in the way a broadside will hit an enemy ship. The new broadsides would sometimes not properly lock onto a target, even if the target was not moving and was not aggroed. Seriously, you should be able to one shot a Navy Panther while it's sitting dead still on the water.

My friend thinks its due to the sway of the broadside cannonballs. At first, I really didn't see it, but after looking at some footage, I can see it. Way back before the change, broadsides used to fire in a straight, horizontal line when it targeted a ship. Now, it seems as if broadsides fire in a circular pattern. Sometimes, broadside cannonballs can cross each other before delivery. This may mean that some cannonballs will hit the deck of the enemy ship and will not register. This especially affects copperhead ships that have a low chance of explosive cannonballs.

Here's a few videos of the original broadside pattern. Notice how straight the broadside fires.

You might have to play this one at 0.25 speed.

Now here's a video of the circular pattern.

And the crossing broadsides.

A frame look at it.

Anyone experienced this too?

I have had this issue since I have first played, not sure if it was a bug or something either. Annoying when you try and shoot a ship on the right side and your right cannons shoot, through your own ship, to the left. Then you think you hit the wrong button so you try again and shoot both shots away from your target. Very annoying. I doubt this will be changed, I have already asked, as well as suggested an easy fix, and I am always told I just dont understand how the game works and that I am an idiot who should stop playing the game. Trust me though, players in the actual game seem to be cooler than most on the forums, so dont let this put you off from the game, really just go and enjoy the game however you can.

It looks like a matter of how the broadsides are aiming rather than traveling in a straight line vs. at an arch. It might have something to do with how the broadside is targeting the enemy ship, it being too close to the middle or stern, causing broadsides to often miss. I noticed how the video with the 'straighter' broadsides were aiming themselves almost in front of the enemy ship, which allowed every cannonball to hit in comparison to the other videos, which were aiming at still ships directly in the middle. Perhaps that 'crosshair' was shifted between updates at some point? I haven't gone sailing in quite awhile so I don't have any first-hand experience in this yet.

...I have already asked, as well as suggested an easy fix, and I am always told I just dont understand how the game works and that I am an idiot...
You are no idiot for asking. Asking, and/or presenting something, means you only care to bring it up. The judgment of being labeled an "idiot" is the one whom does just the opposite (and accepts everything 'as is' without question nor proper reflection).

My broadsides have a Mind of their own , they hit where they want to not the direction I aim !! Too often they shoot directly out the aft !! Even though the ship Intend Is dead Still directly T - boned ! Potco aiming was Not like this by far ! I've Mastered plenty of pirates to know how they should work ! If this Is how they where meant to work then Disney really had them bugged for the duration on them and I'm an Idiot also !!

Broadsides have been finnicky for me to say the least. Sometimes, I'll shoot and the broadsides will track where the target is, be it forward or backward. Sometimes, it'll shoot like a blunderbuss and completely miss a target close by.

Broadsides have been finnicky for me to say the least. Sometimes, I'll shoot and the broadsides will track where the target is, be it forward or backward. Sometimes, it'll shoot like a blunderbuss and completely miss a target close by.
There is some sort of bug or calibration error or something that does cause your broadside to fire backwards, much more rarely out the wrong side or forwards. This is not so common that it seriously affects my sailing but it does happen. I'm not sure exactly what causes it, it's most common with hunters on your tail which has led me to suspect the tracking gets locked on a ship that is super close to you even though it sometimes was never really in your firing arc. If this is true, which I'm not at all sure of, then maybe the solution is to expand the exclusion zone of other ships and your ship slightly. I think the developers should eventually look at that but as I said it's not a super bad issue and so should be fairly low priority, that said the game is getting down to low priority cleanup now so hope it gets fixed.

yeah its unfortunate how inaccurate and unpredictable broadsides can be. really makes me wish broadsides used a dumbfire mechanic, it worked in assassins creed 4 and was extremely fun and effective. if this game's sailing ever came close to AC4's i would sail a LOT more.

sailing really needs some sort of overhaul
#moresailingcontent

yeah its unfortunate how inaccurate and unpredictable broadsides can be. really makes me wish broadsides used a dumbfire mechanic, it worked in assassins creed 4 and was extremely fun and effective. if this game's sailing ever came close to AC4's i would sail a LOT more.

sailing really needs some sort of overhaul
#moresailingcontent
I don’t have much trouble at all with broadsides. The scatter shot thing is just when you fail to lock onto a target because there is no target in your firing arc, this is just an error on the player’s part and is the way it should be. To me it’s only a matter of fixing the infamous backfire shot and broadsides will be perfect.

I don’t have much trouble at all with broadsides. The scatter shot thing is just when you fail to lock onto a target because there is no target in your firing arc, this is just an error on the player’s part and is the way it should be. To me it’s only a matter of fixing the infamous backfire shot and broadsides will be perfect.
the most trouble I have is not the fact that scattershot happens or even the broadsides going straight back, but the fact that even if you are right next to a ship, if it is moving there's a 50% chance your broadsides are going to hit. Anyone can do a loot run where they can stay far away from enemies as to not gain aggro and instantly one shot them with broadsides, but as soon as ships aggro its a whole other story. This is honestly why id rather have dumbfire, just so i can actually control and know where my broadsides go rather than leaving it up to RNG. The current broadside targeting is very flawed when it comes to moving targets and honestly I think it feels better on the test server right now.
I definitely feel that the current system could do with some tweaking

the most trouble I have is not the fact that scattershot happens or even the broadsides going straight back, but the fact that even if you are right next to a ship, if it is moving there's a 50% chance your broadsides are going to hit. Anyone can do a loot run where they can stay far away from enemies as to not gain aggro and instantly one shot them with broadsides, but as soon as ships aggro its a whole other story. This is honestly why id rather have dumbfire, just so i can actually control and know where my broadsides go rather than leaving it up to RNG. The current broadside targeting is very flawed when it comes to moving targets and honestly I think it feels better on the test server right now.
I definitely feel that the current system could do with some tweaking
It is true that aggro ships are harder to hit than non-aggro ones but they are still easy at point blank range and it’s still possible to reliably hit them at some range if you take the time to line them up, sometimes that is not practical but I see that as a good thing. I don’t have any problem with this.

I have noticed the broadsides behaving finnicky, though to me, there seems to be a pattern.

If the enemy ship is relatively close to you, the broadsides mess up a lot in a few ways:
(1) they fire directly at where the ship currently is instead of the whole predication of where the ship will be in 2 seconds, so the broadsides fall in the water behind the ship.
(2) they fire at where the prediction of the ship will be in 2 seconds actually is, but instead the ship turns so the shots miss (this is more tolerable to me, because its more of a maneuvering thing).
(3) they lock on to some random ship that's either directly behind me or even on the opposite side of me and the cannons shoot out the back weirdly or glitch through my ship and fire to the other side.

If the enemy ship is further away but still in the lockon radius (when you zoom the compass all the way in is generally what I've seen as a good predictor of your lockon range, then the broadsides have consistently behaved perfectly fine, even if the ship is aggroed and coming toward.

Back